Drawbacks of a 712 versus a 710? Are there any?

All things not relating to the other forums.
texas pinzgauer

Drawbacks of a 712 versus a 710? Are there any?

Post by texas pinzgauer »

I've been on the forum long enough to see the inquiries of potential/future Pinzgauer about what model they should consider and the answers that everyone (me included) has so graciously and sarcastically provided.

Having said that, I'm really thinking about getting a 712. (Prompted somewhere by the really nice white one that's for sale on eBay currently).

Other than more lubrication fluids and having to buy an extra set of tires, I'm wondering if any current 712 or former 710 owners might wish to weigh in with their own pros and cons about my interest in going 6X6 vs being content with my very nice and very capable 4X4.

Thanks in advance for what I'm sure will be useful and entertaining responses.
Last edited by texas pinzgauer on Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Looking for next new (for me) toy
1974 712M - sold
1973 710M - sold

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id ... 3094951494
Kirby

Only have owned a 712

Post by Kirby »

Since I have driven both, but bought the 712.... I can give you my reason...
The WOW factor..... the 710 as I am sure you know gets the looks and the questions....but the 712 just seemed like it would get more, and be really really cool... I had thoughts of taking 10-12 people on rides for hours.... typically I only brought 4-7 on most rides.

I have had mine 6 years this coming November...I have really enjoyed it and have never had so much fun with any other vehicle in my life.

That one on Ebay is sweet... mine is stock for the most part...

I don't expect this to help you much, but it's all I got! :D
Pinzing is AWESOME.
pinzwheeling

Re: Drawbacks of a 712 versus a 710? Are there any?

Post by pinzwheeling »

texas pinzgauer wrote:
Having said that, I'm really thinking about getting a 712. (Prompted somewhere by the really nice white one that's for sale on eBay currently).

Other than more lubrication fluids and having to buy an extra set of tires, I'm wondering if any current 712 or former 710 owners might wish to weigh in with their own pros and cons about my interest in going 6X6 vs being content with my very nice and very capable 4X4.

Thanks in advance for what I'm sure will be useful and entertaining responses.
Here's a link from that topic from last month: http://real4x4forums.com/PinzgauerBBS/v ... highlight=

The biggest drawback is the purchase cost; other than that and 50% more drivetrain parts / tires, there is no downside that I know of.
Michael

Looking for a deal on a Toyota or used car?
email: rosenblumm@gmail.com
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

Go for it. Tires are the only thing I would complain about.
Kaweeka

Depending on the weather

Post by Kaweeka »

One consideration for me was - will it fit in the garage? It pretty much rains every day in my neighborhood and rust is a big issue. I think it is a good idea to wash the mud off the Pinz and store it in a dry place (and I’m not lucky enough to have a warehouse for my toys).

The only thing we share in common is the risk of getting our clocks cleaned by a hurricane . . . Thinking the 712 would be a great pre-hurricane escape vehicle for those along the gulf! Hopefully the 710 will be a good form of post storm transportation since there is no place to run here!
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

GO BIG OR STAY HOME

You get my drift. Yeah, the 712 costs more. But you only live once.

That's my useless $.02 worth.
todds112

Post by todds112 »

Ditto on more parts to fail, more costly for tires. Brake adjustment takes a while longer. But the cool factor...well, it's cool. :lol:
1973 712M
andy

Post by andy »

Besides all of the above, the 712 definitely rides smoother than the 710, even without a load. Takes a little more room to turn around in the brush, but hey what's a 25 point turn, locked in, in low among friends?
A bar F
The buck STARTS here
www.deerleaseservices.com
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Unless you swap the T case from a 710, you'll be 12% slower.... doesn't sound like a big drop.. until that semi comes up your ... :roll:
And if you want to keep all the flexibilty of the vehicle, don't think of putting a TD tranny in. If I hadn't sold my 712 that I put a TD tranny into, I was going to change it back... nice ( and too fast possible) for the highway, too big of a gap and not enough gears for 'in town' driving.... and off road, your 710 would be lower geared.

Dave
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
texas pinzgauer

Post by texas pinzgauer »

I'm so used to driving fast in my Denali XL and slow in the 710, driving even slower in a 712 shouldn't be much of an issue Dave.

Thanks for all of the perspectives and opinions too folks. This is what I was looking for but keep them coming!
Looking for next new (for me) toy
1974 712M - sold
1973 710M - sold

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id ... 3094951494
Thomas-E

712?-710?

Post by Thomas-E »

I have a 712m, I was looking for something that could be a camper, a "pickup" truck, and off-road vehicle.

The length shouldn't be too much trouble...16 feet, 3 inches. about the same as my old VW bus! :shock: My wife has an Audi Q7 which is longer than my Pinz 712, many friends have pickups longer than the pinz.

I like the 712 since I have loaded it up with 3000 lbs. of block and driven up some steep roads, it has done fine (just down-shift) one gear compared to unloaded.

For camping I wanted the 10 foot + bed for more camper room.
My camper is a custom slide-on unit (still lots of work to complete the inside) that I can easily remove.

I have removed the sides and the back so it is just a flat-bed with the camper removed. If I want the rear door, side boards and fold down seats its only about an hour and a half to reinstall (couple of hours to put up the rear roll bars and canvas).

I converted over to the 710 transfer case, a little pricey but I don't regret it. I can cruise along at 60-65 without pushing it on my 33" tires.
I lost some low end capability but I don't plan on regularly carrying the weight that the 712 could carry....Just a power limitation from the 710 gearing.

Handling... I like the longer wheelbase and greater weight in the rear, it handles very well on the highway and is a smoother more comfortable ride. You will lose a few miles per gallon.

Best of luck with whatever you get! :lol:
Thomas E.
Sonora, CA
712 Camper
[img][url]M:\avatar\DSCN0010%20(Custom).JPG[/url][/img]
pinzwheeling

Post by pinzwheeling »

Another bonus: cargo space. I'm in the midst of moving the remainder of my crap that the movers couldn't fit and I've been using a F250 with a/c as it's about 101 degrees today. It's getting cooler now, and I'm about to make my third run of the day and I'm taking my 712 instead.

It holds more stuff that I don't have to tie down than any other vehicle I have. I can take almost twice as much stuff in my Pinz as I could in the F250. That extra length adds 20% more storage (cubic feet) than a 710.
Michael

pinzwheeling

Re: 712?-710?

Post by pinzwheeling »

Thomas-E wrote:
Handling... I like the longer wheelbase and greater weight in the rear, it handles very well on the highway and is a smoother more comfortable ride. You will lose a few miles per gallon.

Best of luck with whatever you get! :lol:
+1 on the handling, a 712 goes around turns MUCH faster than a 710 becuase there is considerably more weight down low. Downside, I average around 11-12MPG in my 712 and I was averaging around 14-15MPG in my 710.
Michael

rollingpinz

Post by rollingpinz »

Hello

The only drawback that I have seen is the length when it comes to the quick turn-around after you discover you have been heading down the wrong narrow trail.

Eric P
How would an ice-age end without global warming?