TD On Ebay

All things not relating to the other forums.
pinztrek
Barbados

Post by pinztrek »

Erik712m wrote:I thought I could play a little I see now I was wrong. :oops:
ahh, Just pulling your chain for insulting my poor common sense and tripping my personal emoticon threshold! :D

As I said, I don't have every TD variant & serial number memorized.

Since you nailed the last TD photo I posted, here's one to work on:

I've munged the color, but there are enough tidbits' to ID it. Hint: In private hands, not in GA. Legally imported.

Have fun,

Alan
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

Well, the old BBS is on this forum. And after it was posted I began to dig through the way back. And I'll say the fenders give the td away.

But here's the old BBS. http://real4x4forums.com/PinzgauerBBS/v ... ght=#27088

Even gives Herberts cam grind info. :lol:
pinztrek
Barbados

Post by pinztrek »

So go to the site they reference and look at the 5th post from the bottom. You'll see some familiar names. Then look at the posts. Original content replace with spam, etc.

http://web.archive.org/web/200302070739 ... oard.shtml

Not sure that I'd assume the entire archive is intact!

I'm glad some of that data is there, but there is lot's missing prior to 2000, and a gap between the 2nd WWW board and the current phpBB.

I'd have to dig it back out, but the yahoo group goes back to '98 or '99.

I have posts stashed from that timeframe that address common themes which keep getting asked about:
- What Tire sizes & why
- heater hoses
- air compressors
- rubber cord & rings
- parts cross reference
- Your single spring question
- seat swaps

Very little new under the sun. Jurgen's site had lot's of the useful stuff archived, but it went offline for a while.

Of course, Peter (prof pinz) & Herbert's pinz involvement predated even these timeframes....

Have fun,

Alan
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

Now your playing a pissing game. :lol: There are post missing. But I have cell phone numbers that make up for all lost post. :lol:
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

pinztrek wrote:
So how do you think it got here?

A) Assembled from 716 parts
B) 716 Imported via US port of entry as older than 25 years
C) 716 Slipped over the border from Canada
D) Frankenpinz made from 710k with new drivetrain/dash/doors, nose, etc
E) Something else?

Maybe I'm missing something, I don't have all the TD's in N America memorized like you guys apparently have.

Alan

Mark in AZ. I stole a couple of your beers!!

You are missing option (F) By boat. The same way most every thing else got here.

:lol: :lol:

Unless they had a big snorkel and drove across the ocean. Or came back when the land bridge was still there. :lol: :lol:
pinzwheeling

Post by pinzwheeling »

So out of curiousity, I emailed the seller... Here's the email:

Me:
"Dear croriders-ca,

There are some speculating that this truck is not street legal; instead saying that is registered for off road use only.

Just curious if that's true since almost all Pinzgauers in CA are required to be 1975 or older. I know there were a few exceptions, was yours one of those?

Thanks"

His response:
"THIS TRUCK IS STREET LEGAL! I HAVE STATED THAT IN THE ADD.
- croriders-ca"

In the add(sic) he states it is titled, registered and insured in CA. So is my dirtbike. Whatever :roll: I was trying to clear it up for the board, but I guess speculation will have to suffice.
Michael

Looking for a deal on a Toyota or used car?
email: rosenblumm@gmail.com
texas pinzgauer

Post by texas pinzgauer »

I just occured to me that this fellow probably lists his TD for sale every few months just so we'll all jump in and start our collective rants. Don't get me wrong, I love the "vigorous" exchange of ideas but I sense that none of the forum members would acquire this truck for any street legal purposes given its questionable history.

Let the marketplace decide what it's worth and to whom, right?
Looking for next new (for me) toy
1974 712M - sold
1973 710M - sold

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id ... 3094951494
pinzwheeling

Post by pinzwheeling »

also notice that there is no VIN listed. :roll:
Michael

Looking for a deal on a Toyota or used car?
email: rosenblumm@gmail.com
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

Odd, I inquired 4 days ago if it is registered for street use in California and he has still to respond. Ya think this may be one of the “provocative and stupid emails” he is referring to? :shock:

Ed
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
texas pinzgauer

When I last checked, he wasn't even half way to his "extraordinary" reserve price. I know there are a handful of high dollar Pinzs out there for sale but given the questionable legality of this truck for street use, I'm dubious that he'll ever get anything like his $75K reserve price.

He'll disappear once again but then he'll resurface in a few months and we will get to rehash this whole affair once again.

Everyone needs a hobby, right?
1974 712M - sold
1973 710M - sold

David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

OK Children

That truck is registered for the road in Cal, whether it will be on transfer, probably, but not guaranteed..... For those that are "hung up" on the VIN, it is entirely correct ( I know the truck's VIN, and the seller has listed it before on previous auctions)...the ONLY error may be the DMV added an additional "0' to make it 17 digit long... they did that to my truck. No big deal, many states add '0's or 'x's to fill the 17 spaces normally used for the VIN.

I've seen the current owner's attempts to sell it on ebay.
The seller has listed what he knows is true , it is road registerd in Cal, and he says why it is worth what he's asking. I can also understand him being pissed off from the badgering.

If I ever put the Pink Cow on eBay, I know I'd get the same dumb questions, even though everyone knows it's been registered for over 7 years in Cal, and has been a topic on all the Pinz groups at one time or another.

Everything that needed to be said about that truck has been said... and a lot of stuff has come from "where the light don't shine"!

If I were you guys, (thankfully, I'm not), I'd watch what states are doing on registration on older vehicles, military vehicles and non DOT or EPA compliant vehicles.... The "25 year old" exemption everyone spouts off about, only applies to federal importation,.... A state DOES NOT have to issue road license to it. Look at Wisconsin, and what they're trying to do.

Now villagers, take your pitchforks and torches home and leave Frankenstein 's monster alone.

caveat emptor
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
todds112

Post by todds112 »

For those if us lucky enough to live in Wyoming. We can register about anything we want. ATV's can be registered as motorcycles and driven on the street. We also have a new statute for MUV's (multi use vehicles). Those little suzuki mini-trucks (etc) that can only be imported for off-road use? That is until they get to Wyoming. Then you can register them and drive them where ever you want.

Wyoming, the anti-Wisconsin. :lol:
1973 712M
texas pinzgauer

I think the word "frustration" is too strong but I guess the seller of this truck just comes off as a flake in my book. He's played around with listing it multiple times at crazy prices and it never sells (no matter whether it's legal for the road or not.

I suppose I would like to see him list it for a "reasonable" price, it finds a new home and we gain a new enthusiastic Pinzgauer owner.

At the rate he's going, none of that's likely to happen anytime soon.

No pitchforks or torches, just scratching my head wondering why he's _ucking around with the listings if he's not likely to find a buyer at his reserve price.
1974 712M - sold
1973 710M - sold

David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Boy, don't we feel warm and comfy in some of our states. :lol: Some of the same laws people use to say that truck is illegal are some of the same laws that make ATVs and the Japanese mini trucks "unregisterable" for the road, and one day, the green wienies will point their fingers at them, then watch out. And it is some of these states' titling practices that are why other states sometime won't accept titles from them.

David, it is his truck, and he wants what he wants... and all he needs is one person to say yes. Where I will get the ire of the 712 owners when I say that I don't think they're worth the fetching prices of over $20k.... people are willing to pay that, so that is what they're "worth".

I had one person asked about buying the Pink Cow, then came back and said I was greedy... I said fine, go find another.... Is the truck worth it? to that one person that hands over the cash, YES.. to me, that is the price that is "worth it" to me to sell.... is it worth it to me to buy, Hell no, but I have it, and I can do as I please :wink:

Oh, btw, the $75k is a buy it now, I have no idea what his reserve price is, but problably close to $60k..... a previous auction did get it up over $50k without hitting reserve.
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
texas pinzgauer

So 712s aren't worth $20K plus? Them's fightin' words Dave and you've really put your foot in it pal, I'll meet you out in your parking lot in 15 minutes! :x :x :x

I'll be the one with the group of other 6 wheel drive villagers with the pitchfork racks! :wink:
1974 712M - sold
1973 710M - sold