tent/vehicle heaters

All things not relating to the other forums.
krick3tt

tent/vehicle heaters

Post by krick3tt »

I was considering a 'Mr. Heater' as seen in Cabelas catalogue. Has anyone done any research or used one of these propane heaters for winter camping? There is a setting for 4000 or 9000 BTU on this one but a smaller one called 'Little Buddy Heater' is rated at 3800 BTU which would be adequate for inside the back of the pinz.

Cheers
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

Morris, I have used it in my pinz works good. I believe Mike in AZ uses the same. I tho have a espar just haven't installed it to date.

If you haven't insulated you will be wet in the morning tho.

Vince what are you doing with the colors? Don't like the white letters on A tan back ground! :x

The little buddy should work fine.

Since it is ventless. I'd still carry a C0 tester!
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

Welcome to the magical mystery tour. As Vince plays with the colors!

Good night guys.
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

Yep, I use the catalytic heaters in my pinzies. They work fine. The truck tops and doors leak enough and the heaters were after all designed for tents. I know that some worry about them in the truck, with the smell of raw gas and all. I personally think if you can smell raw gas in your truck you need to fix that problem before driving it anywhere. I have an insulated metal top on the rear of my 712 which stops the condensation problem I have with my 710's stock soft top. I have only had my 712 in 6 degree weather and with two 3000 btu heaters going and the insulated metal top it managed to get up to 90 on the road, a perfectly comfortable temp( for us desert rats).
I chose to mount the heaters on 2 of the four bolts on the bulk head in the bed which makes the rear passengers very happy.
Obviously something like the espar heater is a much better option but considering an auxiliary heater is only needed here a few days a year they make a good option.
krick3tt

tent/vehicle heaters

Post by krick3tt »

Thanks for the advice, I went to the Gander Mountain store and they had the little ones on sale. The RMP group is having a 'ColdButt' campout in Feb and I am trying to get my serious winter stuff a bit at a time so it doesn't hurt so much.

Cheers,
Morris
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

Morris, best advice a good pair of insulated boots, the foot wells don't get much heat.

We had an impromptu snow run Sunday. The 710's do really well in the slushy snow when chained up. Here is a link to some of the photos from our trip.
http://www.swpinzgauer.org/message_boar ... 5f72a9e9b5

Snow is a blast if you don't have to live in it. I want to make it up to CO for one of the cold butt trips, sounds like way too much fun.
krick3tt

tent/vehicle heaters

Post by krick3tt »

Thanks for the pics. You guys really look cold all huddled up around that fire. There is even a shot of the pinzies huddled together, great group.

I have a Webasto heater installed by Dennis at LinDen. Only used it twice while in Washington and now that I have the curtain down behind the seat to separate the rear from the front I can do well in 30 deg with the stock heater. I insulated the pipes and it really makes a difference. I expect that the Webasto will come in handy very soon.
I made a cover to go over the front grille while just putting around town in the cold as the engine will never get up to temp only going a few miles.

I got the aux propane heater to warm up the sleeping area in the morning and if the weather is so crappy that I have to get inside for awhile. Might like to stay inside while I make the morning coffee.

I do have insulated boots, so far only used them while shoveling snow. I will be sure to take them on this upcoming trip. Maybe even some snowshoes.
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

We huddled the pinz to break the brisk wind that was blowing the snow/rain in. I thought it looked kind of neat with them all close together looking like a bunch of cows on a cold day. We had lunch in the back of my 712 as it was warm and dry inside.

Looking forward to some pics of the CB run, I always enjoy them.
lindenengineering

Post by lindenengineering »

Guys
Just a few comments.
The upgrade heater unit kit we install has a footwell feature to get heat down to the footwell area via two eye vents. Hence no boots needed!

From experiences of both modern fuel fired heaters I have found the Webasto to be more durable and less likely to coke up in the burner.

Since we install APU's on big rigs the heat is often supplied by a fuel fired bunk heater. (which is what we are talking about) . The Pro Heat uses Webasto, the Tri-Pac uses Espar.
Since we service most models of APU our service record for Espars is less than Webastos and burner coking is the preliminary problem when servicing these brands.

Whatever brand you buy DO be careful to order ALL the needed accessories. Simply put the sales and distribution of both units are now covered by a marketing model that is less interested in small accessory items.

There is a third unit made by Mikuni of Jap carburetor fame. Not avaialble in the US it can be sourced on Euro fleabay. Cost savings can be considerable if you take that route although there are more diesel units on offer. Nonetheless we have installed these with a small seperate tanks attached to the underside holding half a gallon each.

Whatever you select PLEASE be careful with open flames, vehicles can go up in smoke & flames very easily especially where gasoline (petrol) concerned.
Merry Christmas
Dennis
OOOps no customer bashing now
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

lindenengineering wrote:Guys
Just a few comments.
The upgrade heater unit kit we install has a footwell feature to get heat down to the footwell area via two eye vents. Hence no boots needed!

From experiences of both modern fuel fired heaters I have found the Webasto to be more durable and less likely to coke up in the burner.

Since we install APU's on big rigs the heat is often supplied by a fuel fired bunk heater. (which is what we are talking about) . The Pro Heat uses Webasto, the Tri-Pac uses Espar.
Since we service most models of APU our service record for Espars is less than Webastos and burner coking is the preliminary problem when servicing these brands.

Whatever brand you buy DO be careful to order ALL the needed accessories. Simply put the sales and distribution of both units are now covered by a marketing model that is less interested in small accessory items.

There is a third unit made by Mikuni of Jap carburetor fame. Not avaialble in the US it can be sourced on Euro fleabay. Cost savings can be considerable if you take that route although there are more diesel units on offer. Nonetheless we have installed these with a small seperate tanks attached to the underside holding half a gallon each.

Whatever you select PLEASE be careful with open flames, vehicles can go up in smoke & flames very easily especially where gasoline (petrol) concerned.
Merry Christmas
Dennis
I sure hope you have contributed to the forum owner over the years.