Help buying a Pinz 712

All things not relating to the other forums.
Sam Fisher

Help buying a Pinz 712

Post by Sam Fisher »

Hello,

I'm new to the Pinz forum and I already need some help. I was looking at a 1982 Pinz 712 for sale. I'm a less than average wrench....so I was wondering if anyone has a short list of things to look for when I check this thing out. It has about 25,000 miles...and its going for $19,500.

2nd question: Do i need to be better than just being able to change fluids......to buy a truck like this?

Thanks,
Mike

oh ya....I know next to nothing about a Pinzgauer, other than reading info on the forum and researching the net. My wife thinks I'm a little off....but she said she'll support my middle age crisis! lol ...so I got that going for me!
So others may live.
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Hi Mike,

Welcome. And a double welcome just because you're nearby.

There have been a few posts regarding prepurchase checklists. Try a search, and if I can find something I'll post it to you.

If you'd like to see/drive a few others just to get a comparison, there are several up near Madison area. Be happy to help you make arrangements to do this. If you know next to nothing about them, then this is a really good idea.

2nd question: Nooo...., but. It probably helps to be at least somewhat mechanically knowledgeable. If you've got any german-car mechanics around, and I'm sure you do in Chicago, they can likely do any of the work. But there are some special tools that they'd need even then. They'd also need the 2 shop manuals. But that said, it's a relatively easy vehicle to work on, from my experiences.

A low-miles, good condition truck might well not need much for repairs for quite a while. But even the fluid changing is a bit of effort - the 712 has 11 gearboxes to change out. Again, any shop can do it for you. Otherwise you'd best be able to get some enjoyment out of doing a little wrenching.

And as for the wife, well, it's good to have an understanding spouse, or else none at all.

Paul
Sam Fisher

My first Pinz

Post by Sam Fisher »

So I'm guessing you know George at Stauffer Classics? I've talked with him over the phone about his trucks and I'll be coming up there to check them out. (It looks and sounds like he has some good Pinz for sale?...any opinion?) What do you drive?

Thanks Paul.......that helps.

Mike
So others may live.
kpoling
United States of America

Pre Purchase Check List

Post by kpoling »

Sam: Go to this web page and print the pre purchase list. It is very helpful. I am sure there will be other suggestions or additions to the list:

http://www.sdp-pinzgauer.org/html/pre-p ... klist.html

Regards, Kevin
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

Hi Sam and Welcome,

I bought my 710M from George in 2006 and couldn't be happier with it. George sells quality vehicles and has very competent Pinz mechanics nearby (including Paul U.) who prep the vehicles.

Even if you don't intend to do much of the maintenance yourself, plan on getting the repair and parts manuals for reference. They're available from the forum sponsor, Expedition Imports, and also from Swiss Army Vehicles.

Best of luck,

Paul C.
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Sam,

Both George and Paul Colette were people I'd intended to hook you up with. George has at least 2 712s which I saw last week. I didn't look too closely at them though. I can say this much: I trust George.

We're all pretty local.

Paul
Sam Fisher

Good Stuff!

Post by Sam Fisher »

Hey thanks Paul...and Paul C.

Actually My name is "Mike"..........Sam Fisher is just my username for logging in......I didn't know it was going to show up as my name

Anywho....this is all good stuff guys! I really appreciate the info and hopefully I'll be joining the ranks of pinzhood soon.

I'm really excited to come test drive George's vehicles.....

Thanks Again,
Mike
:D
So others may live.
Sam Fisher

Thanks

Post by Sam Fisher »

Thanks Kevin,

I just looked at the list........good info.
So others may live.
Sam Fisher

My 1st drive in a 712!

Post by Sam Fisher »

Thanks for the help guys!
I drove a couple nice 712's the other day...... Love them..

I looked at the 710 command truck also.

Thanks,
mike
So others may live.
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Hi Mike,

Blue Mounds is a small town. I heard you'd been out in the 710 from a buddy of mine. He met you on the road. Then George mentioned that you'd been up. Glad to hear you enjoyed the rides.

Paul
texas pinzgauer

Post by texas pinzgauer »

You're wise to be looking at 712s. You might also drive a 710 but the general sentiment on the forum is that once you've gone to a 712, you wonder why you messed with a 710 inthe first place.

Both are very fun vehicles but your circumstances might dictate one over the other. The supportive (or at least neutral) wife is a real plus.

One piece of advice..don't register it in Wisconsin! :wink:
Looking for next new (for me) toy
1974 712M - sold
1973 710M - sold

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id ... 3094951494
Sam Fisher

the 712 is a champ

Post by Sam Fisher »

I even had George bring the wife for a ride in it......maybe it would help my delicate situation with the wife..... :D
She loved it!

no, I live in Chicago......I'm not going to register it up there.

I'm starting to sound like my kid: "MOM I need this Pinz!" ....lol
So others may live.
Kirby

Post by Kirby »

PM me an email address and I will forward some info and pictures of my 712.

I have had it for sale on and off for awhile, but looking to get serious about selling it. :cry:

1974 712M $15,999.99 but willing to look at offers.
Pinzing is AWESOME.
To The Edge

Post by To The Edge »

Kirby - I will send you a pm with a better email address...
Looking to step into something new, planned or not - but has to be fun.
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Mike
2 pm's sent, but they seem to not actually send. ??
Please let me know if you don't get them.
Paul