Seattle Area Pinz Mechanic?

All things not relating to the other forums.
Haf-e
United States of America

Re: Seattle Area Pinz Mechanic?

Post by Haf-e »

Hello Gadget - So are you still driving up from SoCal to WA?

For engine work - any mechanic familiar with air cooled engines (VW, Porsche, Duetz) can do the work - its very straightforward simple stuff. I would send off the carbs to someone who know them for any major repair/rebuild.

For drivetrain work - its more closer to working on tractors that any other vehicle. A lot of drivetrain disassembly work on a pinz can be done by the owner and then the subassembly (diff, transfer case, transmission, wheel drive) shipped to Jim, EI etc. for repair. The only real specialty tool needed is the axle / wheel drive separating tool - which are available to borrow or duplicate if you know who to ask...

Doing the work yourself builds confidence and is extremely helpful when a problem occurs in a remote location.
Haf-e

1971 Pinzgauer 710M

Disc Brake Conversion Kits for 710 and 712 Pinzgauers
www.klugewerks.com
GadgetPhreak
United States of America

Post by GadgetPhreak »

Haf-e wrote:Hello Gadget - So are you still driving up from SoCal to WA?

For engine work - any mechanic familiar with air cooled engines (VW, Porsche, Duetz) can do the work - its very straightforward simple stuff. I would send off the carbs to someone who know them for any major repair/rebuild.

For drivetrain work - its more closer to working on tractors that any other vehicle. A lot of drivetrain disassembly work on a pinz can be done by the owner and then the subassembly (diff, transfer case, transmission, wheel drive) shipped to Jim, EI etc. for repair. The only real specialty tool needed is the axle / wheel drive separating tool - which are available to borrow or duplicate if you know who to ask...

Doing the work yourself builds confidence and is extremely helpful when a problem occurs in a remote location.
I spoke with the seller this morning and walked through all of the recent work done to get a sense of how likely I would run into an issue on the drive. It turns out he's put just over 3K miles on it in the last 7yrs, this trip would be around 2200 miles on its own... so that makes me concerned about belts, hoses, etc., things that dry out over time. Based on that I'm going to ship it up so I don't risk ruining any major components before I can go through it.

Thanks for the feedback on mechanics. I'm good, not great, at doing my own work. I'm looking forward to rolling my sleeves up with the Pinz and learning as much as possible by doing everything I can on my own. That being said, I was hoping to identify some "locals" that I could go to if something came up that I couldn't do on my own and needed something done quick, otherwise I will definitely go through Jim or EI to support the community.

Thanks,
Ben
King County Search & Rescue | Regional Special Vehicles Unit
1972 710M - Building up for SAR use
Follow my build, learn more, or contact me: http://www.sarpinz.com
Haf-e
United States of America

Post by Haf-e »

I've done all my own engine work - changed out one cylinder (bad ring), rebuilt carbs, oil changes, fixed the alternator etc.

I've also changed my transfer case out and replaced bearings in the "witch" hats. I need to do the wheel bearing seals soon as one is leaking a bit.

The challenge on your truck will be the EFI and brake system - both being "custom" additions.

Andre has family in the Seattle area and so gets up here occasionally and I have a fairly good sized shop space available for him to use. That would perhaps be another option.
Haf-e

1971 Pinzgauer 710M

www.klugewerks.com
GadgetPhreak
United States of America

Post by GadgetPhreak »

Haf-e wrote:I've done all my own engine work - changed out one cylinder (bad ring), rebuilt carbs, oil changes, fixed the alternator etc.

I've also changed my transfer case out and replaced bearings in the "witch" hats. I need to do the wheel bearing seals soon as one is leaking a bit.

The challenge on your truck will be the EFI and brake system - both being "custom" additions.

Andre has family in the Seattle area and so gets up here occasionally and I have a fairly good sized shop space available for him to use. That would perhaps be another option.
Thanks for the encouragement and suggestions, I really appreciate it. I can't wait to get my hands on it and start going through it end to end. I haven't been this excited about a vehicle since... well I think it might be the most excited I've been yet :-)

I've owned quite a few cool cars over the years but this one has the most character and personality of any of them. The runner up would probably one of my FJ40's, love the styling on those.

Ben
NEWFISHER

Post by NEWFISHER »

I will toss in my $.02 if anyone wants to listen.

I highly recommend the road trip in any vehicle. I currently own several pre 50's cars, trucks, motorcycles etc. and have previously owned a bunch that if were not restored by me out of boxes, were found out of state, made to run if they were sitting and driven home. The journey is so much better even with a broken belt, a wheel seal leaking etc that gets repaired along the way. Most all of them , knock on wood, have not broken down on road trips home up to 2500 miles. I have one now that was bought 13 months ago and my wife and I flew out to Memphis and drove home. The motor lost compression ( cracked pistons) 2 blocks from the driveway 1 hour after we arrived on my way to the store with a buddy that came by to see it. $h1T happens, glad is was home and not on the road, but I am always prepared for the worst.

My new to me Pinz was sourced from the East Coast from a member that was a very busy guy and my schedule during the love affair to own one would not allow me to take a week off to drive it home. It was the first of many vehicles that I own that I had shipped. I will never ship again, problems and I just felt guilty not driving it back. I love to drive.

The Pinz you are buying is one I was a click away from owning. Exchanged a hundred emails back and forth with the owner on its first Ebay listing ( was up 4 times) and I kept watching it even after buying mine. I would drive it up in a heart beat. I understand work schedules, but West coast Hwy 1 and 101 in the Redwood and Oregon Coast area can't be beat.

When I started looking for one, it was after a long LURKING here, reading ALL OF the back threads I could. I came up with a service manual and the statement that I had read a bunch of times " they were designed for 19 year old Swiss Army boys to work on". Thinking I am smarter than a 19 year old Swiss kid, I have done a few things now on mine and they really are just a bag of nuts and bolts like anything else and a very simple design. get a manual and you should be good.

Try and drive it back, you will thank me later and we will get to read about the journey here through your eyes :)
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

...this trip would be around 2200 miles on its own... so that makes me concerned about belts, hoses, etc., things that dry out over time. Based on that I'm going to ship it up so I don't risk ruining any major components before I can go through it.
Fan belt is a fan belt, not much to worry about. No "hoses" to worry about, no coolant! Oil seals do get old and hard, but generally last decades in these trucks when not submerged in mud/water. As long as the fluids are known to be full (and a reasonable quality oil, not water or sludge) then drive it! You might see some seepage during the trip and this would actually help you know what will need to be repaired, eventually. Everything should be OK for a trip as long as the PO hasn't done anything recently that has not been proven over time or mileage.

I'm not trying to make you change your decision to ship it, just pointing out that the concerns you have may not be warranted.
Jim M.
712W and 710M
Haf-e
United States of America

Post by Haf-e »

To be fair - there are fuel line hoses that can go bad and are a real concern if they haven't been replaced - but they are also fairly easy to inspect. I suppose the only other concern is the safety level of the fuel injection system - does it have an inertia / roll over switch for the fuel pump etc. Leaving the truck at Jim's for a couple of weeks to have him go over it and then driving it up would be the best option in my opinion... Even a shipping company that handles Porsches can screw up loading, strapping down and unloading a Pinz... unfortunately.

In the end, for many people, time is money and there are often trade-offs involved that make taking the time to do it difficult.

BTW - if you do go - be sure to have the AAA "plus" program as they will tow you farther for a repair...
Haf-e

1971 Pinzgauer 710M

www.klugewerks.com
GadgetPhreak
United States of America

Post by GadgetPhreak »

So much inspiring encouragement, you guys rock! I should have added in my last response that there's a time constraint as well. I would definitely prefer to drive it, for all the great points made here, and more. But things would have to go perfectly and unfortunately I don't have the time to buffer the trip to account for unforeseen issues and still make other commitments.

The suggestion of dropping it off at Jim's and then coming back another time to make the drive was intriguing, but I'm in the area for business already, and Jim has been the one maintaining it for the last 7yrs so I'm more inclined to get it home so I can start going over it and figure out my next steps.

I really appreciate all of the advice and perspectives. Thank you.

I'm going to have to make a trip down to Oregon to meet you Newfisher, I think we'd get along well ;)

Cheers,
Ben

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
NEWFISHER

Post by NEWFISHER »

I say you make the deal, enjoy a day driving it around the sunshine state with the top pulled back, trip to the beach etc. Then get it to Jim and leave it there for a " trip check" and we coordinate our schedules and both grab a one way flight down there, crash at Jims ( I pack light and have been known to sleep in random vehicles) and we head out Saturday morning. Drive 8 hrs to Sac, I know a sneaky camp spot on the North side of the river, then drive another 8 to Eugene. Crash at my place and we can drag race Pinzs on Main st. then you make an easy 4 hrs Monday morning home. All legs are done in the a.m. when cool, 8 hrs is nada. Parts avaialable along I5 and there are 9 In &Out burgers between my place and his ;)
Hotzenplotz
Austria

Post by Hotzenplotz »

Gadget

If only I had time; I'd love to come over and drive your Pinz to it's new home....
Cheers
Albert
========================
My Pinz has NEVER been with any army
rmel
United States of America

Post by rmel »

Heck! If Jim has been baby sitting this rig for the past 7 years, then
it's more likely your rental car will go kaboom or have "Equipment"
problems with your Airline :wink:
Puller: 71' 710K 2.7L EFI aka Mozo
Follower: Sankey MK 3, 3/4 Tonne
Rescue Pinz: 73' 712MK

Driver: Ron // KO0Q
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

rmel wrote:Heck! If Jim has been baby sitting this rig for the past 7 years, then
it's more likely your rental car will go kaboom or have "Equipment"
problems with your Airline :wink:
x2
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
kdiqq
United States of America

Post by kdiqq »

Just to add to what other folks have said, I strongly encourage your to take the drive. It's a big learning experience! My only advice is to make sure you check oil after every fillup. When I make long hauls and the oil is allowed to get hot, it likes to turn to vapor and seep down valve stems. So when filling up, I just recheck oil after I've fueled. Never had to add it, but I've seen it move down a tiny bit.

If you get broken down, I'm sure someone on here will run to your aid :P Folks are friendly enough.
1977 Austrian 710M
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

It has been a really long time and no word on the trip. What is going on with your pinz? Is it at Jim's or somewhere else?
If you drove it did you take pics?
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
NEWFISHER

Post by NEWFISHER »

krick3tt wrote:It has been a really long time and no word on the trip. What is going on with your pinz? Is it at Jim's or somewhere else?
If you drove it did you take pics?
" Shipping it home. Work is getting in the way of a long drive right now. Next time ;) "

From his other thread:

http://real4x4forums.com/PinzgauerBBS/v ... 18&t=10221