Best Companies for Pinzgauer Insurance

All things not relating to the other forums.
Hersir
United States of America

Best Companies for Pinzgauer Insurance

Post by Hersir »

I've finally succumbed to the Pinz bug and I'm in the process of buying my first Pinzgauer. I'll need to have proof of insurance to register it with DMV and my carrier quoted me some insane rate based on categorizing the Pinz as a farming implement. LOL.

Can any owners here recommend a company for insurance? I imagine there are some companies that specialize in military vehicles.

Thanks.
justfred

Post by justfred »

I've had no problem insuring it with State Farm, in California. Liability only, of course, but otherwise it's about the same as any other second vehicle. The Haflinger is insured there too.

Mainly you have to find a good agent.
krick3tt

pinz insurance

Post by krick3tt »

Farmers

Get a good agent.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
kpoling
United States of America

Post by kpoling »

I have had State Farm (for all my insurance 30+ yrs) and they told me to pound sand. :shock:

The only place I could get to insure it was Progressive. $231/ 6 mth. full coverage.

Haggerty will insure them but they must be kept in a locked garage with mileage limits. Not sure they would cover you if you were out 4-wheeling either.

Regards, Kevin
Regards, Kevin

'73 710K sold 01/22/2016
justfred

Post by justfred »

Either way you should move all your cars so you get a multi-car discount.

Garage? Mileage limits? You must be talking about full-coverage insurance. IMO a waste of money unless your Pinz is really nice and you drive in traffic a lot - I get liability/uninsured motorist only.
ccalingaert

Post by ccalingaert »

Hagerty is great for classic cars - I used to have them for an old convertible. Not sure they would work so well for a pinzgauer.

I have AAA (Auto Club of SoCal) insurance and they were able to add my pinz, although they had to look it up offline and call me back the next day.
Chris
'74 710K
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Be aware that not all insurance carriers are available in all states.

Auto Club in Ca is the only Auto Club to insure Pinzes in the US.
I was the first back in '01 and spent a lot of time convincing an Underwriter that their 'exposure' was no more than a Land Rover or VW bus of the same era.
I later starting compiling insurance data of who did and did not insure them by state and region.
From the few that replied back then, the data is here:
http://www.sdp-pinzgauer.org/html/usa_insurance.html

Depending on what you expect from your insurance company, Hagerty is good. If you plan to go trashing off road, and expect your insurance to cover your stupidity, NO, and most insurances will have clauses to to release them for gross negligence.
I wanted to be covered on-road, and protected from the other fools. :wink:

And off, but still on topic.....Hagerty and Progressive refused coverage on my Supacat :? , but Auto Club did covers me for liabilty....go figure!
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
Hersir
United States of America

Post by Hersir »

I had no luck with USAA but will check out the info at SDP-Pinzgauer. Hagerty has quoted me a liability policy under $200/year and for my purposes that should work. I have a garage to house it and don't plan on anything wild in terms of use and should be well under 2500 miles a year. Thanks to everyone for the info.
texas pinzgauer

Post by texas pinzgauer »

Progressive has been an excellent resource for insurance for the Pinz.
Looking for next new (for me) toy
1974 712M - sold
1973 710M - sold

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id ... 3094951494
Hersir
United States of America

Post by Hersir »

USAA actually transferred me to Progressive and they quoted me $3000/year after deciding it was best classified as a commercial farm implement. I must have just had the wrong agent.
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

There is a lot on how you present and discribe the vehicle to the agent... and usually the the less the better. Certain "buzz" words will only get you grief. I don't know how many owners in Ca that I talked to had spent hours talking to Auto Club trying to get insurance. Everyone of them only had to call back and say they had a Steyr, and had it covered within 5 minutes :D . After I had gotten Auto Club to put "Steyr" into the system as the manufacturer, it was never any longer than giving the VIN to get insurance on my 712, Haflinger or the 716. It is ALL about how it is in the computer.

When a agent asks for vehicle manufacturer, try : Steyr, SDP (Steyr Damilar Puch), Puch, or Pinzgauer (which is manu on Swiss title, but really the model).

Before anyone else just rattles off an insurance carrier's name, look at the insurance card or policy to see how they classified it, and give all the information.

It's all in the details :wink:
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
krick3tt

insurance for pinz

Post by krick3tt »

I have all my insurance with Farmers. House, trailer and both vehicles.
The Jeep Liberty and the Pinzgauer. The pinz is listed on the policy as a 73 710M and then the vin. Just the simple facts, no elaboration and no stories about the vehicle and it's origin. Have all the paperwork. I bought my pinz from Scott at EI and he did the initial registration. Do business with the pros and ease you troubles.
When I was in SoCal I had a great agent, all I had to do was tell him I had another vehicle (I started with a MB Mog)
It was listed as a Mercedes truck. Then I got the pinz and I told him it was a Styer Model 710M and gave him the vin.
There was once an issue with the pinz not having enough digits in the sequence. I told them at the DMV and the insurance to just add '0's in front of the numbers until they got as many as they needed, worked great.
It helps at the DMV to have a big smile and say please a lot. That seems to smooth out a lot of bumps as so many people treat them very mean and like bad folks, they are not, just people like us doing a thankless job.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
Dogslovetrucks

Re: Best Companies for Pinzgauer Insurance

Post by Dogslovetrucks »

Old thread; I know, but due for a revisit. Just insured the Pinz with Hagerty with $18500 stated value for $297.00/yr. Hagerty is one of the few speciality carriers that does not have a limit on mileage. Very easy process and great to deal with- highly recommended.
Last edited by Dogslovetrucks on Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
76 710K
CentAr712
United States of America

Post by CentAr712 »

Just FYI, neither State Farm or the Geico collector car insurance I've used have had a mileage limit. I've had no problems from either excepting the fact that State farm required it be insured as a commercial vehicle and wouldn't give any multi car discounts because of that.
Chris.
https://www.supanik.com/pinz
'76 712M Rapier Cargo (Swiss), For Sale
'83 MB W460 280GE G-Wagen, For Sale
compunerdy
United States of America

Post by compunerdy »

Haggerty is great unless you want to actually use the vehicle. It must be stored inside and not used offroad in order for them to insure it.. whats the point of having a Pinz..
Tim
1975 710K