Xtremevehicles.com - out of business?

All things not relating to the other forums.
Ditchdigger

Post by Ditchdigger »

totaljoint wrote:
it's worth mentioning three words: Hot-Water Heat
you forgot "Web-asto Heater"

We don't need no stinkin water!
Warm enough here with the Webasto. My family goes to Edmonchuk to enjoy the balmy (sp?) weather. :lol:
westernair
United States of America

Post by westernair »

Speaking of heaters (no I don't need one mine blows fire into my truck), just wondering if anyone has ever taken a 12 volt unit from a VW and adapted it to work in one of our trucks. I have a real nice one I have used in a few of my buses. Also have a Stewert Warner under dash model for specifically blowing heat into a cab.
Shawn

62 haffy Bantam
61 haffy 4 door

72 710K - Sold
73 712M - Sold
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

Well none of these trucks is a good highway cruiser that will sit at 65. Going up grades prepare for 45 or worse. Yes, some people go up to 65, on flat ground, but that's absolute redline and isn't good for longevity. You have a 1:1 4th gear and no overdrive option on the Volvo. You are also getting something like 8mpg at anything above 55-60... its the diminishing returns thing, flat front, big tires, etc. You will also find yourself fighting noise over time and it will become a bigger and bigger issue. The 303 is easier to quiet down though.

Yes, the 303 is much more stable off-road than a Pinz, no argument there, esp. if we are talking hard tops. But what are you really doing off-road? I do stuff that scares most owners but you may not be, so its not as big a deal for many.

I ran into this every week when I used to deal trucks; there is no holy-grail, compact 4x4 exotic camper answer. The closest thing on earth that comes to it is a 716 Pinzgauer in my opinion, like Dave has for sale, but those are rare, to put it lightly, and cost is high to buy and to buy parts for. If I could I'd buy one!

I've run into a lot of guys that think they have an answer and some plan to modify a truck to make it work like an "SUV" but let me tell you, since 1993 when I started my rare 4x4 addiction, I have never seen it done effectively, not once. The money, time and engineering needed is just too much for anyone to pay for.

Anyway, it sounds like you might want a Pinz with a later transmission and engine mod and good sound insulation work. There was one for sale in So Cal. but prepare to pay $25k plus for something like that.
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

wrangler_tj

Post by wrangler_tj »

You have a 1:1 4th gear and no overdrive option on the Volvo.

You have an other option, that is the transmission of
a TGB13 it has 5 gears 4 normal gears and 1 overdrive.

But their is a drawback, these transmissions are built
for the Volvo's with 3 axles and where the diffs are higher.

But maybe it will work, you maybe can drive harder but
you will lose crawl ratio if you place it on a TGB11.
xtremexj

Post by xtremexj »

Thanks again for the responses everyone. Vince, it won't be any hardcore wheeling but more for some back country camping excursions. We're talking some non-maintened type BLM roads when we drop down into the US from time to time or some of the older logging roads and such up here. I am starting to think that just due to availability issues, I may have to look at a 712M and then do my own hard top conversion and possible engine and trans swap. I am no stranger to offroad fabrication as my wheeling rig is a Jeep XJ that has a half cab conversion, exocage, coiled and 4-linked rear, custom Mog9 diffs running 42" tires. I did have a turbo on the 4.0L HO a couple years ago before the wastegate failed but haven't put it back on. I am in the middle of building a rock buggy based on a Jeep CJ that will get the diffs out of the XJ. My younger brother has been a machinist for nearly 20 years and another buddy is a metal fabricator by trade. So, I guess which ever I decide, I should be able to come up with a working combination. :D

If anyone is interested, check out pages 7-8 in my build thread and you'll see what my offroad obsession has resulted in. :lol:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthre ... 385&page=7
Last edited by xtremexj on Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
xtremexj

Post by xtremexj »

Also, with regards to the TGB 13 having a different trans, I have not found that info anywhere in the research I have done. Any links that show that? Also, I found a clip on Youtube of a 712M that a guy did an inline-6 swap into but can't find any more info on it. In the video it really looks like a Jeep 4.0L and auto trans. Anybody able to help on this?
totaljoint

Post by totaljoint »

Westernair:
12 volt unit from a VW
The Webasto 3900 in my Pinz is a 12V model, hooked up to the 12-24 invertor.
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

the eight track tape just started over.
xtremexj

Post by xtremexj »

Erik712m wrote:the eight track tape just started over.
With regards to what?

I have a question for you anyways - what is the inside height of your "712K" in the rear section from the lowest point on the floor to the ceiling?
Winter Beater

pinz in canada

Post by Winter Beater »

Hi xtremexj;

I'm a displaced Canadian, with the last 25 yrs in ft Mcmurray AB. Now in Denver with a 712M. I think I can explain the Pinz wrt the cold. The vehicle is a work of Engineering art, and will go places where it is difficult to walk ( easily carrying 500 kgs). But you need to do work to stay warm below -10C and you can cruise @ 100 km/hr but it takes a fortnight to get there. Mine starts @ -27C in a minute or so, but that happens so rarely here that I don't know what continuous cold is like anymore. Please don't expect to have the off road capability of a Pinz with the convenience of a F-350. If you really want one come on down; importation to Canada is much easier than the reverse. It's $250 Federal importation, GST & free out of provence inspection @ Crappy Tire. Parts are easy to get and the vehicle is easy to work on.
xtremexj

Post by xtremexj »

Thanks for the input Winter Beater. Yeah, I know that it won't have the creature comforts of my Super Duty, but that's not what the purpose will be. :D Maybe if I'm down that way over the next year I'll get a hold of you and see if we can meet up to check out your rig and maybe take it for a drive.

Shane
Winter Beater

Re: Xtremevehicles.com - out of business?

Post by Winter Beater »

Come to the treffen in Ourey , CO july 20. You'll enjoy the best of Colorado, lots of good micro brew (hope you like hops), good people and Pinz treking.
xtremexj

Post by xtremexj »

Winter Beater wrote:Come to the treffen in Ourey , CO july 20. You'll enjoy the best of Colorado, lots of good micro brew (hope you like hops), good people and Pinz treking.
Depending how busy my summer is, I may take you up on that. :D
Malahki

Post by Malahki »

Your XJ is a work of art!! I have similar hopes for my 89 JDM BJ74 Landcruiser.. If your coming through Lethbridge and want a closer look at a pinz, give me a shout.. Don't hesitate to bring the XJ :wink:
Malahki

Re: pinz in canada

Post by Malahki »

Winter Beater wrote:Hi xtremexj;

If you really want one come on down; importation to Canada is much easier than the reverse. It's $250 Federal importation, GST & free out of provence inspection @ Crappy Tire.
That is not exactly true. Canadian Tire is the main authorized facility for doing the RIV (Registar of Imported Vehicles) inspections. Which you are right, their is no additional charge for. However vehicles over 15 years are RIV exempt which is why they are so easy to import.

RIV exempt vehicles still have to meet the provincial regulations which vary from province to province. In the case of Alberta, an out of province inspection request form must be purchased at a registration office at the cost of $10 and then taken to an authorized facility where you still have to pay their out of province inspection fee.

I just going through this with my 1972 710m that I purchased in Denver. I have purchased my request form but have not done the inspection yet as I am just making a few repairs first.