Bad day to be a windshield...

All things not relating to the other forums.
texas pinzgauer

Re: Bad day to be a windshield...

Post by texas pinzgauer »

OK Dave....now that you have MY attention, if I find that mine is tempered and not laminated and you don't ship to Texas (or elsewhere) what's the most expedient and cost effective solution to this potential problem?
Looking for next new (for me) toy
1974 712M - sold
1973 710M - sold

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id ... 3094951494
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Any competent glass shop can cut a Pinz windshield. I highly recommend a tinted one ( solex is the only legal tint). It will reflect heat and glare... though it may not feel like it, it'll cool the inside quite a bit.

A Mogger replaced his glass in his SBU with one ofmy tinted sets and used a infrared thermometer to read the metal tempurature of his dash. it made a tremendous difference on a mild fall day.

Though I don't ship windshields, my door glass sets are packed to be UPSproof :lol:
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

I've had 2 Pinz windshields (tinted) made by local glass shops and both did a great job for me. They need the old windshield or the entire frame to use as a pattern. If I remember the price was about $200.

Dave's door glass is excellent and really is UPS-proof :D I've installed 2 sets and both times it really helped the interior temp.
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
Q

Post by Q »

I was driving along at 55mph last weekend when there was a very loud bang. No idea if it was a rock or what but my passenger and I got completely covered in big and small glass fragments- the entire 
windshield completely disintegrated- full force into our faces. We were really lucky we were both wearing sunglasses. We both got lots of small cuts. My passengers glasses had big scratches- hate to think if she wasn't wearing them. Incredible- I guess I should have heeded the warnings on the forum sooner (intended to replace the old windshield but never got around to it).
So can anyone post or pm me the exact dimensions to get a new windshield cut?
I measured the frame "rough opening" to be 19-3/8" high, 57-3/4 wide at top, 62-7/8" wide at the bottom and estimate the gasket thickness to be 1/8",
but I'm not sure how much clearance or play there needs to be. I'm guessing at least 1/16" all around? That would make the glass dimensions 19" high, 57-3/8" wide at top, and 62-1/2" wide at the bottom (?).
Also (I know it has been discussed but its still not clear to me) when installing do you just push it in from the outside and flex the gasket over the inside lip of the frame (without sealant or any disassembly of the frame)?
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Quinn,

Despite the numerous warnings which have been posted, yours is the first I've read of one being destroyed at speed. Really glad you both weren't hurt worse. That's a very sobering story.

In case there's a question about the size, you might just provide the frame for the glass co. to measure and fabricate. I'd think they would know the clearance they would need. That's what I did with an after-market Jeep windshield, because it was slightly smaller than stock. In that case, they corrected the frame, so as to fit a standard Jeep glass.
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Glass for a typical 710/12 is 57 1/2 , 62 3/8 x 19 1/16.
That is for the standard gasket and an unmolested frame.
716/18 are a different size.

I've been the broken record about tempered windshields on the Pinz and Mog sites for over 10 years. It was in the early '70s that I saw the results of a tempered windshield in a gray market VW... Back then, all gray market cars were supposed to be brought up to DOT standards, and there were no exemptions ( whoever inspected this car had missed checking the windshield).

Q, have a tinted windshield made, it'll reduce glare and cut some of the heat in the cab..... besides, then you can order one of my sets of tinted door glasses. :mrgreen:

Q

Post by Q »

Thanks guys, really appreciate the support- There is only one place reasonably close that would do it- I said I had an "old military truck" to keep things simple on the phone but when I showed up it turns out the managers father has a 710K!! I may get to see it when I pick up the glass...
They don't have tinted in stock and I need it asap- I'm on a rainy vacation right now and the pinz is my only way to get around!
kpoling
United States of America

Post by kpoling »

I went to the glass doctor today to get a price on the replacement windshield. The sales tech asked the "thickness" of the glass. I did not know and looked back through some of the threads and only found the overall dimensions.

Dave Dunn: You probably know. FYI, the quote is $165 for green tint and $125 to R & R the glass. I have never changed auto glass before, so I will have them do it. Should be less expensive than on the job learning :oops: .

Also, earlier in this thread, Edzz asked if anyone had found an aftermarket supply for the gasket as the OEM is really spendy. I never saw a reply. Does anyone know if the OEM gasket is NOS from the 1980's or is it "new"?

Regards, Kevin
Regards, Kevin

'73 710K sold 01/22/2016
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

I sell the tinted windshields for $155...so the $165 is a good price...the thickness is a nominal 1/4"..The gasket is forgiving, it doesn't require an exact thickness. R & R'ing the Pinz windshield is one of the easiest to do.... ranks up there with the old VW Bugs :D I haven't done any pricing on auto glass installation in a verrrrry long time, but the labor price sounds too high..

kpoling
United States of America

Post by kpoling »

Thanks Dave. Is there a good site to look at for a tutorial on removal & install of the glass? I have only worked with residential glass before and none with gaskets. I saw one of your old posts using a lift truck fork to remove the glass, awesome :!:

Regards, Kevin
Regards, Kevin

'73 710K sold 01/22/2016
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Kevin,
Somewhere in this forum is a link to Richard Russell's blog on the glass replacement in his 2450 Mog. Windshield and back glasses are basically the same as a Pinz (glass a lot larger and heavier gaskets in SBU's). His (unsolicited) findings on exchanging the clear to tinted glass were a boost to my sales :mrgreen:

I know I have done write-ups myself before, but don't remember where any of them are :? a few on Mog lists and maybe some here , before the forum hacks.

kpoling
United States of America

Post by kpoling »

Thanks Dave: I just tried to search for it but no joy. I did find one post that said you R & R'd a Pinz windshield in about 10 min. So the quote I have is pretty expensive. $60 would seem reasonable, but they may not be experienced enough with odd vehicles with flat windshields :roll:

Regards, Kevin
Regards, Kevin

'73 710K sold 01/22/2016
ccalingaert

Post by ccalingaert »

Kevin,

I got a windshield from Dave and put it in a couple of years ago without ever having done one before. It took me more than 10 minutes, but it wasn't that hard.

Removing the old one is easy even without a forklift - push from the inside with your feet and have someone on the outside catch it when it comes out.

Assuming the old gasket is in good shape (mine wasn't), put it on the new windshield. Get some clothes line or thin rope and put in the groove in the rubber seal. Wrap it all the way around the windshield and cross the ends at the bottom middle with some excess hanging out. Have someone outside the vehicle line up the windshield and press the glass firmly into place. The person on the inside needs to grasp the rope and begin pulling inward. That should pull the inner lip of the rubber seal over the edge of the window frame and begin seating the window to the vehicle. As you pull the rope towards you inside the pinz, the window should suck into place. Make sure the person outside continues to apply firm pressure and keep everything lined up as the person on the inside pulls the rope towards them.
Chris
'74 710K
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

A few quick comments.... before trying to push the ws out, take your fingers and peel the rubber away from the pinchweld on the inside, and use something like a popicle stick to peel the gasket from the body on the outside. The gasket sometimes will 'weld' itself to the body over time. Use a 1/8 to 3/16 nylon rope, anything smaller or abrasive can cut the gasket while you lift the gasket over the pinchweld during installation. Before setting the windshield (in the gasket) up against the pinchweld, lubricate the inside portion of the gasket and the pinchweld with soapy water, then when pulling the spring inward, move in a slow circular motion to lift the rubber over the pinchweld. With a little practise you'll get a feel for the motion.... this especially important at the corners. The person on the outside should apply pressure with his fingertips only, it is too easy for someone to apply 'point' pressure with the palm of the hands and possibly crack the glass. The installation should start at the bottom and work up both sides, then across the top.

Once the gasket is in, tap the windshield in with a flat hand ( not the palm) to seat the gasket.

Also, on removal and installation, take care not to let the windshield hit the wipers or the shafts... or you may be replacing them too :wink:

kpoling
United States of America

Post by kpoling »

Chris/David: Thanks for the instructions, it does sound pretty easy. I will order it & try to install next week when it is supposed to not be raining here. Regards, Kevin
Regards, Kevin

'73 710K sold 01/22/2016