Bad day to be a windshield...

All things not relating to the other forums.
westernair
United States of America

Bad day to be a windshield...

Post by westernair »

Started off as a good day, met NoahDL88 at my house today, has a nice time talking about Pinz stuff. After he left my wife sent me off to Home Depot for a honey due chore, On the way there a rock the size of a baseball from a truck going the other way met my window. :evil: opened a hole big enouth to push a golf ball through it
Shawn

62 haffy Bantam
61 haffy 4 door

72 710K - Sold
73 712M - Sold
David Dunn
United States of America

Re: Bad day to be a windshield...

Post by David Dunn »

I hope the rock didn't have a note attached that read :
" Got a broken windshield ? Call Dave ! " :roll: :lol:

Gee, if you were closer, I'd make a sales pitch on a new tinted windshield and door glass

But seriously, be glad you had a laminated windshield, a tempered windshield would have disintergrated and the whole thing would have been in your face.
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

I am glad I have one of Dave's windshields.

How do I have a chip fixed?

Met a much smaller rock on the way back from MogFest.

Morris
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Hi Morris,
I'm from the 'old' school which only replace windshields. There are companies that inject a resin into cracks as a repair. Back when I regularly did windshields, this wasn't a legal option in CA, but I assume this has changed, and as long has the crack isn't with the driver's vision area.

kpoling
United States of America

Post by kpoling »

This reminds me (again) that I need to purchase a laminated windshield. I always wear safety glasses when driving, but it would be a real mess to take a rock like the one in the picture above :!:
Regards, Kevin

'73 710K sold 01/22/2016
westernair
United States of America

Post by westernair »

Dropped the broken glass off this morning, $160 for the replacement. My seal is still extreemly supple so I will use it again. Should have it back in action by 6:00 PM tonight. I assume just soapy water and nylon coard will get it back in the frame.
Shawn

62 haffy Bantam
61 haffy 4 door

72 710K - Sold
73 712M - Sold
psychoman

Post by psychoman »

westernair wrote:Dropped the broken glass off this morning, $160 for the replacement. My seal is still extreemly supple so I will use it again. Should have it back in action by 6:00 PM tonight. I assume just soapy water and nylon coard will get it back in the frame.
That doesn't seem unreasonable $$$ - is that a screen specific to the Pinz or has a local company cut-to-fit from flat laminate?
It aint what you drive, its the way that you drive it...
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

My last price was $155 for a tinted windshield ( I don't bother with clear because of the heat transmitted into the truck, plus the glare).Includes installation if you brought your truck and helped. It's less than a 5 minute install, just make sure you don't have any glass or anything else in the gasket when you re-install it, or you'll be buying another.
BTW Tinted front door glass sets are $226 plus shipping :wink:

westernair
United States of America

Post by westernair »

It is cut to fit off the original. 5% total tint and a darker top gradent tint at the top in the blue green color. Hear in Washington, while it would be nice to have the entire thing tinted more then 5% it is not quite as important. I get off work at 5:00 tonight, just hope it does not rain between now and whan I can get it installed.
Shawn

62 haffy Bantam
61 haffy 4 door

72 710K - Sold
73 712M - Sold
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Read this
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=5314

A 30% tint is legal by DOT, and is very close to the standard tint of most all modern autos on the road .

The dark band across the top on a Pinz would be illegal because it would be beyond the 30% tint and within the viewing area of almost any driver.

edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

has anyone found a source for wingshield gaskets at a good price?
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
NoahDL88

Post by NoahDL88 »

I'm bad luck Shaun, You'd better sell me your Pinz for cheap so you don't have to deal with it anymore :D

If its still around in a couple of weeks I'm definately going to have to jump on it, your 710K is in great condition.
1972 710K
westernair
United States of America

Post by westernair »

Noah
It was good meeting you, just let me know if this one will work for you. I will be around.

As far as the windshield goes, turns out they did not tint the top of it after all, only the 5%. not sure what happened there but from the sounds of it probably better off anyhow. Had a friend help me at work today put it in. All done in just a few nimutes. Even easer then all the VW glass I have replaced.
Shawn

62 haffy Bantam
61 haffy 4 door

72 710K - Sold
73 712M - Sold
texas pinzgauer

Post by texas pinzgauer »

This is probably directed to Dave...

How would someone figure out if their Pinz had the old style (less safe) or new style (laminated / safer) version of the windshield?

David
Looking for next new (for me) toy
1974 712M - sold
1973 710M - sold

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id ... 3094951494
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

The "easiest" way to tell is to read the label on the glass. :mrgreen: .... if legible, it will be in one of the corners, check inside and out, sometimes they are too faint to see through the glass..... Laminated glass will have something like "Lami" in the description... "Securx" or something like that would be tempered.

In absensce of a label, tempered glass usually have tong marks (dimples) along one edge of the glass. These were made from where the glass was hung while going through the tempering oven (tong marks are only on tempered glass made during the '70s and earlier).

Last method of detection, if the other aren't a dead giveaway is to take your fingers and peel back the gasket at some place and look at the edge of the glass inside the gasket. Tempered glass will be obvious as a single piece of glass, and with laminated glass , you will see the 2 actual pieces of glass and the plastic interlayer.

Do not consider tempered glass as a " less safe" type of windshield...it is completely unsafe on any high speed vehicle where wind force can push the shards into the passenger compartment like a claymore mine