Rental Trailer for a 712

All things not relating to the other forums.
totaljoint

Rental Trailer for a 712

Post by totaljoint »

U haul limits the capacity of their car haulers at 5200 lbs
A standard 712 with roll cage is near 6,000lbs.
So does anyone know a rental company that has car haulers that can carry a 712 legally?
Or is it "safe" to push the limits of the U haul?
StuartL
Great Britain

Re: Rental Trailer for a 712

Post by StuartL »

I can't comment on US law but in the UK it's illegal to exceed the trailer's rated limit as documented on the plate attached to the trailer. Additionally we have vehicle limits and limits depending on the driver's licence (license, for the merry cans... :)).
UK Virtual Assistant services in English: http://www.seekingserenity.co.uk/
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

I would say its safe to push the limits of the uhaul. Keep as much gear as you can out of the Pinz and you should be fine. Remember to pay special attention to weight distribution. Also remember that the traditional uhaul mounting system will NOT work with the Pinz.

Done it many times though
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)
ExpeditionImports
United States of America

Post by ExpeditionImports »

You can probably get away with it with no problems......up until you have a problem. If you are knowingly exceeding the rated weight limit of the Uhaul trailer, what do you think happens if you have an accident?

People will sue over anything. Insurers will look for any and every little loophole to avoid paying a claim. Exceeding the rated capacity of a trailer for your transport may or may not void your coverage......find out and let us know?!

Check with some of the local rental places and find one with a rated capacity capable of the load.

Cheers,

Scott
Expedition Imports Corporation
Vallejo, California
www.expedition-imports.com
"You didn't buy a Chevy..." "Hows that Amazon tech support working out...."
totaljoint

Post by totaljoint »

After a week on the internet searching and multiple phone calls here's what I found
in the Seattle area for heavy rated trailers for the 712:
U-haul: rated top limit of: 5500lbs $291.00 for 4 days use.

Budget Truck rental and Penske : has heavy trailers, but won't rent them by themselves... you have to rent a truck too.

Ryder doesn't rent trailers for car hauling.

Ace Rentals and all local (non nation-wide franchise) equipment rental shops have heavy trailers, but limited to 35 to 55 mile radius
due to break-down service contracts.

Found one farm equipment rental that will rent just the trailer for long hauls, any where you like, but no service should it break down.

Commercial auto transports (Magic Carpet, Covey Auto to name two of the many west coast movers I called)require a 15-21 day window to move
the truck....Oh, and their cheapest Seattle to San Francisco move begins around $1200.
Hope other areas of the country fair better.
Ed
cruzoropeza

Post by cruzoropeza »

1200 and they move it? If so that's pretty reasonable if you take into consideration fuel cost, have you considered just towing it with a "tow bar" they are pretty cheap and all you need is to bolt on or weld two small brackets on ur bumper, and put your transfer case in neutral and your set.
czarthirteen

Post by czarthirteen »

Try putting the truck on Uship.com ........

They have a "name your price" option along with a few other great features.

I got some action on that site when I shipped my 712AMB from Wisconsin to New York about two months ago. My shopping around paid off, as I found a shipper independent who brought me my truck for a little under $1300.

Also, it may just be cheaper to rent a 21' box truck from Penske...back it up to a loading dock or put ramps up to it.....the truck should fit inside just fine, with space to spare in a box with an eight foot ceiling.
Pinzgauer 712AMB
VW Passat GLX 4motion wagon
Triumph Sprint ST Executive
1986 VW Golf Diesel (AAZ diesel motor, Quattro drivetrain)
psychoman

Post by psychoman »

Be worth taking the pinz to a weigh bridge and check the weight fully stripped back and with minimal fuel, no tools, no spare tyre, no towing equipment and you out of the vehicle. You may be lucky and find it scrapes in under the UHaul limit - if so get a print out of the weight and you're good to go.
It aint what you drive, its the way that you drive it...
czarthirteen

Post by czarthirteen »

Yup, I second that.

I've been tipping the scales in the 712 (without the ambulance box, which was easily detatched and driven out from under) at about 4800 pounds with me in it. Keep in mind that this is a 712 with no rear sections, only the forward cabin; but it is fully wet with an occupant plus about 100 pounds of chain, and other things like the chainsaws, shovel, pick, etc.

Still think driving it into the back of a 21 foot box is the way to go, enclosed and good to go.
Pinzgauer 712AMB
VW Passat GLX 4motion wagon
Triumph Sprint ST Executive
1986 VW Golf Diesel (AAZ diesel motor, Quattro drivetrain)
Pinzgauer Pete

Post by Pinzgauer Pete »

you can also take the doors off and remove the engine cover, and if necessary remove all the rear seats..all that together probably equals 300 lbs
life is like a box of chocolates...you never know which one you might get

710M
Pinzgauer Pete

Post by Pinzgauer Pete »

Ryan, I am with you....outa sight outa mind....buy some eye bolts screw them into the floor...nail in some wheel chocks and cinch it all down nice and tight....you should be fine...just watch your speed around the corners :mrgreen:
life is like a box of chocolates...you never know which one you might get

710M
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Ed,
Typical car trailers will be a 7,000lb GVW, comprised of usually a 1800 to 1900 lb trailer and a payload of 5100 to 5200lbs. These will be for a 2" ball and have one axle with brakes. The next catagory is up to 10,000lbs GVW and both axles must have brakes and a hitch for a 2 5/16" ball. These trailers will weigh from 2000 to 2500lbs. depending on construction and the remainder is for payload. Rather than requesting a car hauler ,look for a 16' (or longer), 10,000lbs. GVW flatbed trailer.

Flat towing a Pinz any long distance is not recommended because people usually don't pay close attention to what they are towing, and it is possible to have something go wrong without a person in the vehicle to "hear, feel or smell" the problem until it is too late (especially considering the age of the vehicle, and the portal hubs). Also, unknown to many, anything towed over 3500lbs must have brakes controlled by the towing vehicle (like any other trailer). That is why there is a large increase in 'toad' braking system on the market in recent years.
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
Mac

Post by Mac »

David Dunn wrote: Also, unknown to many, anything towed over 3500lbs must have brakes controlled by the towing vehicle (like any other trailer).
That's different state to state. In NC anything over 4,000lbs must have brakes- but "break away" brakes (not sure if that is the same thing as "toad"?) are good enough. We recently sold a boat that was 6,500lbs on trailer and the only braking system was break-away.
1974 710M
1951 M37 for sale
2003 BMW 330i zHP
NoahDL88

Post by NoahDL88 »

How far are you driving? I'm sure someone would volunteer to drive if you paid gas and a flight home, and maybe some snacks.
1972 710K
totaljoint

Post by totaljoint »

Thanks, everyone for the input and suggestions!
My cage puts me at near 8 feet, so "in the box" is not an option. I just got the cage put back on a couple of months ago, I'm not anxious to take it off/on again. It's much happier on than off.
The cage +712 puts me just over 6,000 lbs, so taking bits and pieces off to reduce weight will have the same effect as a fat woman taking off shoes before she gets on a scale.

Trip is 850 miles, don't want to put that milage on the gears/seals, repair of which is the reason it's going on that trip in the first place.

I put in on u-ship, will see what the response is, but since I have acess to a Ford F-350, it makes sense ($) for me to find the time and a heavy weight trailer, and tow it myself. Will have to see what the next month holds for snow in the passes.

Will probably rent the agricultural trailer, without the breakdown coverage. After all, in 1700 miles round trip, what could possibly go wrong??? :roll: