Passengers in the rear?

All things not relating to the other forums.
berger
Canada

Re: Passengers in the rear?

Post by berger »

Heed wrote:Derek,

As stated above, Police Constables in Ontario are all 'independent agents of the Crown' and can interpret the Highway Traffic Act on their own. The general question they have to ask themselves is 'does it seem reasonable'? Unfortunately, some are more zealous than others (Traffic Guys) and have a more liberal interpretation. Riding in the rear of pick-ups is one of those 'grey areas' in the H.T.A. You need seat belts to ride in a vehicle in Ontario...but they aren't there...but it is designed to carry cargo not passengers...

As Morris said, much easier to just go down to your local Princess Auto, buy two 7' lengths of e-track and bolt them into the rear. I went with this option and had some e-track fittings sewn onto olive drab belts that have airline-style clasps attached. That was long before Expedition Imports started carrying them for sale. They work great, look great, and I had peace of mind with the kids in the back nicely strapped in. The great thing about the e-track is that they remove quickly, and I also have attachments for tying cargo down if I need it.

Very inexpensive solution and easy to do.
Thanks Bob! I was going to ask you where I could get e-track...the Man's Dollar Store...Excellent! :lol:
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
Winter Beater

Post by Winter Beater »

A couple lengths of E-trac and a set of belts from Scott at EI and you're all set in about 1 hour. Use self tapping #14 screws for the E-trac and place them 1.5" above the seat base using a 2x4 spacer .... very easy and looks good enough to fool OPP or RCMP.
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

Use self tapping #14 screws for the E-trac...
Would you trust your life to "self tapping screws"? Spend an extra $2 an 5 minutes and use grade 8 bolts, real nuts, and Loctite and have some real piece of mind down the road.
Jim M.
712W and 710M
texas pinzgauer

Post by texas pinzgauer »

A tip-over probably isn't so bad in a Pinz but it's the last place I'd want to be in a roll over!
Looking for next new (for me) toy
1974 712M - sold
1973 710M - sold

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id ... 3094951494
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

I wouldnt trust my life to either a grade 8 bolt nor a self tapper in the Pinz. The holding force delta between the two is not the weak link in the chain. The way i see it, I'm in trouble either way!
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

I think the weak link is the side supports in the back. The sheet metal is not very strong, might want to add a piece of flat stock behind the 'Z' bar leg for a bit more.
If you are doing such wild stuff that the rear passengers are going to be in peril, have them get out and wait till the rolling over stops and have them help you right it.

Oh yeah, have them take movies...we want to see it. If there are no pics... it didn't happen.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

I wouldn't trust self tapping screws holding the E-Track if four adults were belted in, even in the most gentle rollover type condions. I also added structural 1" square steel tubing behnd the lower edge of the E-Track (since seatbelts pull upwards) that are also separately anchored to the truck sides.

About 8 years ago there was an accident where an old couple pulled out in front of a Pinz with kids in the back; in avoiding the car the Pinz rolled. Several people were ejected from the back of the truck which resulted in a ten year old's death. While the fault was blamed on the other vehicle it still was a tragic incident that I have in my mind when thinking of the safety (or lack thereof) of our trucks.

Don't shortcut on safety, especially when it you can get great improvements for such a small difference in the time and money invested. We all hope that it will never come to use, but if it does we should expect the best from our "improvements".

Thanks for putting up with my rant.
Jim M.
712W and 710M
berger
Canada

Post by berger »

Jimm391730 wrote:I wouldn't trust self tapping screws holding the E-Track if four adults were belted in, even in the most gentle rollover type condions. I also added structural 1" square steel tubing behnd the lower edge of the E-Track (since seatbelts pull upwards) that are also separately anchored to the truck sides.

About 8 years ago there was an accident where an old couple pulled out in front of a Pinz with kids in the back; in avoiding the car the Pinz rolled. Several people were ejected from the back of the truck which resulted in a ten year old's death. While the fault was blamed on the other vehicle it still was a tragic incident that I have in my mind when thinking of the safety (or lack thereof) of our trucks.

Don't shortcut on safety, especially when it you can get great improvements for such a small difference in the time and money invested. We all hope that it will never come to use, but if it does we should expect the best from our "improvements".

Thanks for putting up with my rant.
Good points. I like the idea of the tubing!
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

See here for some pictures of E-Track seatbelts installation:

viewtopic.php?t=6021
Jim M.
712W and 710M
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

here is what I did for seats in the back of my M. All the M8 bolts to the body are thru with large washers and lock washers with nuts. Three bolts into the bottom and two botls thru the bottom of the side rail to the outside. No rub rails.

texas pinzgauer

Post by texas pinzgauer »

Very slick and I mean that in a good way!
Looking for next new (for me) toy
1974 712M - sold
1973 710M - sold

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id ... 3094951494
berger
Canada

Post by berger »

Scooter wrote:Image
Very nice!
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M