Advice?

All things not relating to the other forums.
Hamish

Advice?

Post by Hamish »

Hi all. I've been a background post-reading lurker & new-found Pinz lover for a time now and thought I would post a dilemma I'm having....granted...this may be like asking for drug advice from an addict :wink:

Been working 300+ days/year the last few years in the Canadian oilpatch and decided enough is enough. I've neglected my family & friends for too long so I'm cutting back on work to travel more (road trips / backpacking / etc). So....one of my bucketlist "to do's" is drive from Alaska down to southern tip of S. America ""off the beaten track"" over 6-12 months. Also...there are a few parts of Canada & the US that I've yet to explore. I had planned on buying and converting a diesel 4x4 van....Until.....I discovered Pinz's.

So...am thinking Pinz 712/718. I would probably have it rebuilt ground up (been saving for a while). Would it be worth trying to find a 718 TD over the 712 gas with respect to maintenance (I understand TD parts can be a bit more expensive), fuel consumption, performance, part availablity, reliability,etc...or stick with the air-cooled gas? Also...since the "k" versions seem very hard to find...would an ambulance box conversion be the way to go (heavy?)....OR...I did see a pretty sexy although "tired" Redbull conversion a while back. Does anybody know who did that custom hard-top fabrication & if they'd be able to do another since I dont see any of those for sale anymore.

Anyways....some thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Hamish.
audiocontr
United States of America

Re: Advice?

Post by audiocontr »

You should consider availability of parts as a MAJOR concern with such a venture. As such, a pinz may be a poor choice.
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)
stiffler4444
Canada

Post by stiffler4444 »

Agreed, a pinz is a very capable and fun vehicle, you'd best be suited for a nicely modded trek oriented Unimog I would think. I could be wrong, but when I check out major trekker's sites, they mostly seem to convert the larger, newer Mogs for this purpose. my 2 cents.....

tx Dave
1972 710m
Hamish

Post by Hamish »

Yeah...I've looked at Mogs in the past...but think that may be taking things to a level I'm not sure I want to go. They're huge! One of the things that appeals to me about Pinz's (other than their offroad capabilities), is their relatively compact size. Actually....the way many Pinz owners talk on various forums, I was under the impression that parts (at least for the gas) were becoming easier to come by. Perhaps not if you're in the middle of nowhere....but easier than several years back.

In any event...I appreciate your insight.

HH.
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

A RedBull Pinz would NOT be on my short list. They were built for show.
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
stiffler4444
Canada

Post by stiffler4444 »

For size, surely you cannot beat a pinz. And you are correct, the parts are getting easier to find for the 712/710, so not too many worries there. If you have the money to spend, as you have been saving to do it, then a 712 would make a great conversion, as many have done. The amb. boxes seem to be the way to go if you are going into cold weather, warm weather and everything in between. You can rig up heat, A/C, water, sleeping accommodation, etc.

I take back what I said earlier, now I want a Pinz trekking machine..... :lol:
1972 710m
berger
Canada

Post by berger »

Being an absolute newbie to these trucks, I cannot really comment on how they will do on such a trip, but I can tell you Ural owners face many of the same questions and issues when thinking of traveling. That didn't stop me from getting on my bike and riding 12000KM in 3.75 weeks from Ottawa, through the US to California, up the PCH, back into Alberta, and back to Ottawa. I had some flats...my fault...and a bearing issue, but all fixed while on the road...and I loved every minute of it. I have also been down the Trans Lab and a few other places on the bike. There is a guy currently on a 10 year round the world road trip...on a Ural.

If a Pinz is what you always wanted, then get it. Just factor in time for any issues, and be ready for that. As long as you can get mail, I am sure you can have parts delivered to you. I already know one thing about the Pinz, she is gas hungry, so be ready for that too!! :mrgreen:

Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
Hamish

Post by Hamish »

lol....yeah...definitly get's a guy thinking eh!!

I've seen several Amb conversion on the net already....but one of my main concerns is weight. Granted a 712 can carry a fair amount....those Amb boxes are also pretty damn heavy by themselves....let alone kitted out.

Actually...I wasn't necessarily thinking about a full-on camper conversion (although it is an option). Growing up in South-Africa....a lot of the overlanding we did was w/ tag-along tent trailers.....kinda like the "Conquerer" trailers made in SA.....so, that would be my preference. There's one i've had my eye on that has gen. set, hot water, bbq, tent, etc... Anyways...this all led me to think more along the lines of a 712K w/ the tag-along tent trailer (ruggedized). The extra space could allow for a bed in the back (just in case) plus seating for 5-8 depending on how I was able to fab. the inside....since I know for sure I'm going to have many "drop in guests" for parts of the journey.

On the parts side of things...as I understand it....Pinz's are fairly easy to fix "if" you do have the right gear. While I'm no mechanic....I am fairly handy & learn quick...but, as long as I could get it to a town & have parts mailed....I've got no worries about being stranded for a while. Adds to the flavor ;) Plus...anbody want to see pics of a Pinz & trailer being hauled through the Andes by a pack of Llama's? Joking ofcourse!

Oh...yeah...I know that Redbull truck was a lot of fluff. But...I think that the custom hard-top was actually really good...especially for the purposes I'm thinking of. I really liked the added head room it gave...kinda why I was wondering if anyone knew who did the hard-top fabrication.

I'm just thinking out loud here gents about possibilities....but once again...thx for the input ;)

HH.
berger
Canada

Post by berger »

Hamish wrote:lol....yeah...definitly get's a guy thinking eh!!

I've seen several Amb conversion on the net already....but one of my main concerns is weight. Granted a 712 can carry a fair amount....those Amb boxes are also pretty damn heavy by themselves....let alone kitted out.

Actually...I wasn't necessarily thinking about a full-on camper conversion (although it is an option). Growing up in South-Africa....a lot of the overlanding we did was w/ tag-along tent trailers.....kinda like the "Conquerer" trailers made in SA.....so, that would be my preference. There's one i've had my eye on that has gen. set, hot water, bbq, tent, etc... Anyways...this all led me to think more along the lines of a 712K w/ the tag-along tent trailer (ruggedized). The extra space could allow for a bed in the back (just in case) plus seating for 5-8 depending on how I was able to fab. the inside....since I know for sure I'm going to have many "drop in guests" for parts of the journey.

On the parts side of things...as I understand it....Pinz's are fairly easy to fix "if" you do have the right gear. While I'm no mechanic....I am fairly handy & learn quick...but, as long as I could get it to a town & have parts mailed....I've got no worries about being stranded for a while. Adds to the flavor ;) Plus...anbody want to see pics of a Pinz & trailer being hauled through the Andes by a pack of Llama's? Joking ofcourse!

Oh...yeah...I know that Redbull truck was a lot of fluff. But...I think that the custom hard-top was actually really good...especially for the purposes I'm thinking of. I really liked the added head room it gave...kinda why I was wondering if anyone knew who did the hard-top fabrication.

I'm just thinking out loud here gents about possibilities....but once again...thx for the input ;)

HH.
You need to contact Denis...He was selling and excellent 710K...with Swiss trailer and tent...very nice rig. I know you are thinking 712...but you should check it out.

Check out his post here...

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3865
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
stiffler4444
Canada

Post by stiffler4444 »

Oh, and just a piece of advice, don't get your heart set on a 712K...no matter how much money you are willing to throw at it, not sure where you would find one for sale!?!
1972 710m
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

IIRC, the Redbull bodies were made by A2ZFX in Santa Clarita, CA. I heard they went for $50-80k just for the bodywork and were heavy (heavier than the AMB I belive) as they used more fiberglass than the AMB boxes. But they were pretty cool for what they were.

But from what I remember they had no more room than my W, and I can stand up in it... and the W may have more usable room than the Redbull body. But you can't stand up in a stock AMB unless you are severely altitudinally challenged (or very SHORT, for those of us that are not a politically correct).
Jim M.
712W and 710M
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

If it’s a trailer your thinking of you may want to take a look at the one Bernhard built.

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=6408&hilit=trailer
Hamish

Post by Hamish »

Thanks for that link Ed....definitly a schmancy setup....and almost exactly what I was thinking. Food for thought!

HH.
landais

Post by landais »

check the :pinzguaer.fr web looking for the"petites annonces"
there is 6x6 for sale ( recent ad) and this couple went all over south america with a 712...
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »