Towing with a Pinzgauer 710

All things not relating to the other forums.
undysworld
Norway

Re: Towing with a Pinzgauer 710

Post by undysworld »

Paul have you seen or ridden in a Pinzgauer yet?
Uh, yeah. :roll: I've owned a 712 since early 2002. I put a fair amount of miles on, most years. I wasn't trying to get real technical about the Pinz motor. Most people just wonder when I describe it as a horizontal inline four-cylinder air-cooled engine, so I don't bother. I was being lazy.

By describing it as, "basically a VW motor" I guess I meant that it was basically a 90-ish hp, air-cooled four cylinder motor. It is. Perhaps my mistake was that, among folks my age around here, that's what is considered a "VW motor", even though VW obviously makes other motors nowadays, ie. V-4, diesel, water-cooled.

All I meant was the Pinz is a fairly large vehicle with a fairly small engine, and therefore leaves something to be desired if you want to tow a big load. It won't go fast.

Sorry.
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Paul have you seen or ridden in a Pinzgauer yet?
Uh, yeah. I've owned a 712 since early 2002, and I've been a forum member since then. I put a fair amount of miles on, most years. I wasn't trying to get real technical about the Pinz motor. Most people just wonder when I describe it as a horizontal inline four-cylinder air-cooled engine, so I don't bother. I was being lazy.

By describing it as, "basically a VW motor" I guess I was saying that it was basically a 90-ish hp, air-cooled four cylinder motor. It is. Perhaps my mistake was that, among folks my age around here, that's what is considered a "VW motor", even though VW obviously makes other motors nowadays, ie. V-4, diesel, water-cooled.

All I meant was the Pinz is a fairly large vehicle with a fairly small engine, and therefore leaves something to be desired if you want to tow a big load. It won't go fast.

Sorry if my comment confused you.
PhilH

Post by PhilH »

Interesting in the different weights people pull or haul with their Pinzgauers. I drive my vehicle almost daily, and for all practical purposes it runs great. I recently purchased a military M101A2 trailor just so I could complete the "matchbox set"...and it just looks cool. I can certainly tell that empty trailor is back there, especially going uphill. I don't think there is anyway I could pull or haul 5000lbs, let alone the stated 11000 lbs. Do some of these vehicles have different torgue ratings than others. Mine's pretty fast! It goes from 0-60...eventually! I hope I have attached a couple of pics. I truly love my Pinz!
'74 710m
M101A2 Trailer
'69 Firebird Convertible
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Phil,

The gas Pinzes all came with the same engines. However, a 712 is geared 12% lower through the transfer case. So they feel like they have more torque, but less hi-end than a 710.

The M101 is a big trailer, even empty, and it holds way more than you should be pulling with a Pinz. It fits well behind a U.S. deuce & 1/2, which is a 14,000# vehicle empty. Compare that with your 4500# Pinz.

Many guys use the smaller M416 (or the Canadian MA101), which are essentially the same trailer. These are much closer to an original "Pinz" trailer from the Swiss Army in size and capacity.

Your pics didn't come through, at least I couldn't find 'em.
19D20

Post by 19D20 »

I pull this trailer occasionally to the mulch yard 8 miles away on surface streets. it weighs eight to ten+ K lbs loaded.
I've yet to bottom out the springs. I know most of you would consider it abuse, but I bought it for work and write it off on my taxes :twisted:

.One reason I bought my pinz is we have a water buffalo I'm going to drag around fields that we fill with herbicide and spray invasive species of trees.
Winter Beater

Post by Winter Beater »

Recon113,

I was helping out pikes peak marathon race operations 2 weeks ago. The Pinz hauled 600 US gal of water to 14,100 ft elev on an industrial trailer -total load would have been close to 7,000 lbs.

It was a long trip due to elevation and switchbacks but my 712 was fine for this job. Top speed was 30 mph on straight sections, and down to 14 mph on severe climbs. If you are hauling an RV or TT my suggestion is to make sure the wiring harness on the Pinz is ready to control to trailer brakes (i.e.: brake controller + 12V wiring adapter.

Have fun, be safe.