Towing with a Pinzgauer 710

All things not relating to the other forums.
Recon113

Towing with a Pinzgauer 710

Post by Recon113 »

Hello all. Very new to this. I don't even own a PInzgauer yet but I think I have already decided to buy one! my big question is towing. I live in Wisconsin and love to drive up north with the kids for 4-wheeling and camping. I have a 16' enclosed trailer that I haul my quads in and also I camp in. I modified it with fold down bunks and such. I would say worst case probably 4,000-5,000 lbs. Will the Pinzgauer handle towing this 4-6 hrs ok?
Thanks
TechMOGogy
Canada

Re: Towing with a Pinzgauer 710

Post by TechMOGogy »

I am sure those with more experience than me will post shortly but the trailer weight max is listed at 2250kg (5′000lbs). So I would say it would not be a fun or easy drive with your 4-5,000 trailer.
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

very slowly.... I am told. Hope there are no hills.

please put your location in your avatar so we know what part of the states you are in.
Last edited by krick3tt on Fri May 04, 2012 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Hi Recon,

Welcome.

It would probably be a stretch. It's basically a VW motor, and despite what looks like a much more robust vehicle than a bug, they've still got less than 100 hp (at least stock).

Have you seen/ridden in a Pinz yet? Where are you in Wis.? (I'm assuming southern Wis., if you call it "up north"). There are quite a few near Madison and some near Milwaukee too, in case you'd like to see one in person.

Paul
Recon113

Post by Recon113 »

Thanks for the replies so far. I live in Sturtevant / Racine area... Southeast wi... The more I read
And research these the more I want one. I was originally looking at a Blazer CUCV
But would have towing issues with that as well and these look much more fun.
The empty weight is around 2k on the trailer and then the weight of 4 wheeler and equipment.
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

Not really sure of the weight of the average 710 but, when I lived in WA the tags were figured on weight of the vehicle and I had to
take it to a storage/moving company to get the weight for the license plates. Completely empty (no spare, no tools, everything out of it that was not bolted on,
very little gas) it weighed over 4800 lbs.
Keep in mind that the little 90 horse engine pulls that alone, adding the weight of a trailer and equipment along with the standard weight of camping supplies
and people is going to be a bit of a struggle for a 40 year old vehicle. Even with Jim's EFI it will be some considerable poundage....and the 712 has the same
engine and is heavier.
I managed to get all my stuff for several weeks traveling in a 1/4 ton M416 trailer and it pulled very easily.

Happy trails
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

Hi Recon,
Welcome to the forum! There's lots to be learned by reading through the many posts on here and it's an indispensable resource for the Pinz owner.

As Paul U. said previously there are a few of us owners out near Madison. I'm about an hour west of Madison and Paul U. is about 30 minutes closer in. I think there are a few Pinzies available out this way and I still have one for sale that I'd be happy to show you.

Cheers,
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
Recon113

Post by Recon113 »

Tell me more pcollette... What do you have available.... But honestly
If I am getting a toy I need one that will pull my other toys. Hmmmm
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

I hate to steer people away from Pinzgauers, but I think you would be way happier with the Blazer CUCV. They are geared higher than the military pickups, but still benefit from the heavy-duty option components and also have the 24v starter. In case you haven't already found his site, you should definitely give Tom Zat a call up at http://www.alfaheaven.com/ - (715) 449-2141. I believe he's still got some of these he'll be selling in the future. He's been busy opening his museum this year, but he's definitely a very interesting guy to get to know.

Tell him "that long-haired guy with the Pinzgauer" gave you his number and see what happens... :wink: I expect you'd get laughing and a story.

You might get ahold of Scooter on this forum, to find someone local with a Pinz. I agree with Morris, that a loaded M-416 trailer is hardly noticeable, but much more and I think it'd get slow, real quick.
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

A CUCV Blazer should be regeared for towing. The military stock 3.08 rr is too high and should be lowered to at least a 3.42 or a 3.73 rr for the weight you want to tow.
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
westernair
United States of America

Post by westernair »

Towing with a 710 is doable, I tow a 3,000 vehical behind mine and don't even hardly know it is there. My cylinder head temp gage w/o towing is at 320 to 350 with the load it gets maybe to 370 occationally.
Pinzgauers are made to drive slow in the fist place. You are not going to race it down the freeway at 75 regardless of what you intend to pull. Keeping a 710 at 55 and you should be fine. Remember it is all about the journy and less about the destination when it comes to these old trucks.
On a hot day with the top buckled back and rear devider rolled up, it is a hard vehical to beat.
pcolette is a well know and good person to deal with, if he has one for sale I would recomend you at least check it out.

Goodluck
Shawn

62 haffy Bantam
61 haffy 4 door

72 710K - Sold
73 712M - Sold
Recon113

Post by Recon113 »

I am well aware of alpha heaven. I have drooling over the CUCV's there for 7 yrs now. Then I saw these and I am just torn. I am not looking to haul butt down the HWY I have learned to enjoy the road trip as much as the destination. I just have to make sure what ever I get can haul my trailer and quads and I won't be all over the road doing it.
Thanks again everyone for the input.
These Pinzgauers just look and sound bad A@#.
pcolette I am interested so if you have pics and info on what you have for sale I would like to hear about it.
my email is recon113@gmail.com
westernair
United States of America

Post by westernair »

Bring your trailer up when you see his, maybe if he will let you you can tow it for an exit or two and see how she handles. Just a thought...
Shawn

62 haffy Bantam
61 haffy 4 door

72 710K - Sold
73 712M - Sold
Recon113

Post by Recon113 »

thats a great idea. See if its squirrely or too heavy
ScottishPinz
Great Britain

Post by ScottishPinz »

undysworld wrote:Hi Recon,

Welcome.

It would probably be a stretch. It's basically a VW motor, and despite what looks like a much more robust vehicle than a bug, they've still got less than 100 hp (at least stock).

Have you seen/ridden in a Pinz yet? Where are you in Wis.? (I'm assuming southern Wis., if you call it "up north"). There are quite a few near Madison and some near Milwaukee too, in case you'd like to see one in person.

Paul
The Pinzgauer 710 does not have a VW engine in it. It is nothing like a VW aircooled flat four! It is a Steyr Puch inline 4. Paul have you seen or ridden in a Pinzgauer yet?