Should i mount these LED 's

All things not relating to the other forums.
norcal pinz
United States of America

Should i mount these LED 's

Post by norcal pinz »

HI guys, I bought these LED lights . i wanted to mount them below the windshield but im really not liking the fact that I would have to drill pretty big holes right into the body. what do you guys think is it a bad idea ? i really think it will be nice to have all the extra light and i also like the look., any tips on drilling and what to use so it wont rust. thanks. or is it a bad idea to mount them there ?suggestions on other mounting locations.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/40-x-3W-12V-24V ... 2a26a6c4ce
710M 1972
710k 1974
undysworld
Norway

Re: Should i mount these LED 's

Post by undysworld »

Definitely a BAD idea. Here's a better one: Send them to me, and I'll mount them on my truck!

Seriously though, how about mounting them to a strong enough magnet to hold them on under the windshield? That way, you get them where you want them, but don't drill any holes, plus they can be kept safer inside as well as transfer to another vehicle if you want.

I too would want to avoid large holes in the front of the body.
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

The magnet idea sounds like a good idea. I drilled and tapped my bumper for the bolts to mount my lights.

http://s400.photobucket.com/user/mykric ... ort=3&o=70
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

why can't you make a piece of metal (aluminum or steel) that bolts to the antenna tube mounts on the front of the pinz and then mount the lights to that piece. No drilling in the truck required.
GenevaPinz
Switzerland

Post by GenevaPinz »

You could also make a piece of metal that bolts to the windshield hinges (2 bolts on each top corner of the "hood"). But your LED light bar might be too high for these and interfere with the wipers.

I just got one such mount done by a local fabricator, that I will use to install a LED bar, but a low profile one (i.e. with just one row of LEDs). I still need to do some drilling and the wiring, before I get it painted.
Jan

'72 Pinzgauer 710M
norcal pinz
United States of America

Post by norcal pinz »

i had thought about high power magnets but i think if you hit a hard bump or scrape a big branch its going to get ripped right off i think the best way is to have some custom light bar made. im glad i didn't drill the body.
710M 1972
710k 1974
norcal pinz
United States of America

Post by norcal pinz »

GenevaPinz wrote:You could also make a piece of metal that bolts to the windshield hinges (2 bolts on each top corner of the "hood"). But your LED light bar might be too high for these and interfere with the wipers.

I just got one such mount done by a local fabricator, that I will use to install a LED bar, but a low profile one (i.e. with just one row of LEDs). I still need to do some drilling and the wiring, before I get it painted.
can i see a picture of where you mounted the light bar thank you .
710M 1972
710k 1974
GenevaPinz
Switzerland

Post by GenevaPinz »

norcal pinz wrote:can i see a picture of where you mounted the light bar thank you .
I haven't mounted it yet, and my camera battery was flat yesterday...
It is dimensioned so it will fit on the bolts numbered (5) with washer (19) on this drawing: http://www.pinzgauer.com/parts.php?cat= ... view=22-06
Jan

'72 Pinzgauer 710M
norcal pinz
United States of America

Post by norcal pinz »

i decided to make a bracket that will bolt into the existing holes already below the windshield where the antennae tubes would normaly mount its actually perfect fit for these lights. its just going to be a flat piece of metal. will post pictures when its done
710M 1972
710k 1974
norcal pinz
United States of America

Post by norcal pinz »

4x4Pinz wrote:why can't you make a piece of metal (aluminum or steel) that bolts to the antenna tube mounts on the front of the pinz and then mount the lights to that piece. No drilling in the truck required.
yes i think thats the best idea thanks
710M 1972
710k 1974
norcal pinz
United States of America

Post by norcal pinz »

krick3tt wrote:The magnet idea sounds like a good idea. I drilled and tapped my bumper for the bolts to mount my lights.

http://s400.photobucket.com/user/mykric ... ort=3&o=70
hey was that a solar panel on the hood with metal grate on it i like that
710M 1972
710k 1974
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

Norcal,

Yes it was a solar panel. I had a grate made to keep it safe from debris. It is the type used on sail boats (stainless steel) but it is not made for
off road, as over the years the connection inside has separated and the panel has become useless. I used to go to the desert when I lived in
San Diego and the panel was great for keeping the fridge running and my beer cold.
The panel is now off and the grate remains to fasten things to. I have a flexible panel that I have attached to the roof that is more wattage and for
long trips I run the ARB cooler from the 24V plug (behind the seat) and the panel charges the aux battery for just sitting still and not running off the vehicle batteries.

I have purchased a wind generator that I am fitting to the pinz (removable) for longer excursions that will charge the battery even at night.

Always something going on with the toys.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford