Thank you....

All things not relating to the other forums.
BobbyD
United States of America

Thank you....

Post by BobbyD »

"Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:06 pm"

Wow... That was when I joined this forum. My first post was wondering if there was a difference between a '71 vs '74 (viewtopic.php?t=4839). I have posted 0.02 posts per day. Maybe I should post more...

I read, or think I have read, most of the posts here... even those old archived ones before I bought my Styer SUV (thank you Dave, AAA insurance knew exactly what I was talking about). It is incredible how helpful the members here are. But none of this would be possible except for the efforts of Vince in creating the forum and his sponsor.

While my efforts and talent in no way compare to Brian, Miles, Prof. Pinz and that guy in South America, I was with the help of Jim L., Expedition Imports, SAV and the information on this forum to have an incredibly reliable vehicle that is 43 years old... except for a little (sic) rust.

So, Vince... Thank you!
1971 710K S
N2PNZ
BobbyD
United States of America

Re: Thank you....

Post by BobbyD »

A Forum Donation has also processed successfully.
Yours,
Robert
1971 710K S
N2PNZ
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

Thank you for the comments and I like hearing anytime the forum really helps someone out. As I said in my email to you, it has saved my butt many times as well! Thanks again, Vince
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

eToothpaste

Post by eToothpaste »

Just to piggy back on this thread: indispensable. Donations all around!

I just read about a mistake I was making when checking my gearbox (transmission) oil that could have cost dearly. If you just take off the level spill plug to dip in a finger, you'll get a little 2-oz "blurb" of oil out of the spill plug as pressure is released, and when I measured it was quite full. I thought it was a little overfull somehow, probably from when I filled it last year.

Then today while changing engine oil I noticed the shifter linkage is kind of wet, meaning oil is leaking. The silly expression on my face while gears turned in my head was lost on the bottom of the chassis, but I finally decided that if it was leaking even a little, how was it overfull? Something must be very wrong!

Then I found the correct way to check transmission oil from a thread back in 2007: Remove the top fill plug first with a crescent wrench, not the allen (so you don't have to take off the cover plate in the truck bed). This allows pressure to equalize in the banjo union, allowing the correct level of oil in the transmission to be measured. Only now should you remove the level spill plug. Needless to say, mine was about 25 pumps low (using my cheesy little bottle pump, probably half a pint or more).

Moral of the story, give credit where credit is due. Also, RTFM.
Matt

1972 710m