Our first Pinz 710M

All things not relating to the other forums.
GRCameron
United States of America

Our first Pinz 710M

Post by GRCameron »

My wife and I are the proud owners of our first Pinzgauer 710M! It is a 1979 model and had 25,600 KM on the odometer when we bought it. We purchased it from Thilo in Prescott three weeks ago and it's in great shape. We've done some moderate trails with it already and it is awesome! Way more cool than a Jeep, too!

AAA of AZ wouldn't insure it, but my agent connected me with a liability policy from Progressive and handled all the paperwork. AAA insures my truck, car, trailer and home. I was disappointed they wouldn't take on the Pinz. They said they don't cover military vehicles, though I was careful to not mention anything about that would divulge its original use. They did ask for pictures, though, and I'm sure that nixed it.

Anyway, we're having a great time with it. Now if only we could find some gold around here...
George Cameron
Yarnell, AZ
1979 Pinz 710M
Molon Labe
Bruce Berger

Re: Our first Pinz 710M

Post by Bruce Berger »

Congratulations on the new Pinzgauer! I've had mine for about 7 years now and enjoy it very much.

Beware using it for weekend errands. It's not unusual to get caught in parking lots for 20 minutes at a time answering questions from people who walk up asking about it. 8)

I'm surprised that AAA of AZ won't insure it. AAA here in California will cover them. I have mine insured through State Farm.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Bruce Berger
'72 Pinzgauer 710M 2.6i
mit Beck-LaGuardia Elektronischer Einspritzung
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

Sounds like it is time to look for new insurance agent.
Been to Yarnell, interesting place. Had to go there, just 'cause.

Morris Yarnell (krick3tt)
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
GRCameron
United States of America

Post by GRCameron »

Any relation to Harrison Yarnell, for whom the town is named?
George Cameron
Yarnell, AZ
1979 Pinz 710M
Molon Labe
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Congratulations and welcome to the Pinz community.

Bruce and Morris,
From back in the days that I was collecting insurance information, Auto Club in Cal was the only Auto Club in the US that would insure Pinzgauers.
I had contact with Pinz owners from across the US that had been refused coverage from their Auto Club.
Just as each state has their own rules for registration, The same is true for each Auto Club. Back in '01 I was lucky enough to be directed to a regional manager that listened to my comparisons for risks to insure Pinzs in this state, and he in turn relayed the info to an underwriter that understood and agreed with the comparisons. This is a case you don't blame the agent, somewhere an underwriter laid down the rule
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
GRCameron
United States of America

Post by GRCameron »

My AAA agent told me the underwriters have discretion, but I guess I didn't get any. I did get good service from him, however, in setting up things with Progressive.
George Cameron
Yarnell, AZ
1979 Pinz 710M
Molon Labe
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

That is exactly right, underwriters have the final say.
Some parameters that insurance companies use already exclude Pinzes, and accidents in which a vehicle was involved will cause a company to cancel further policies with those vehicles.
Also, AAA is not 1 company but several affiliated companies. Each will have their own guidelines for underwriting.
IF you were in Cal and asked for insurance for a STEYR Pinzgauer or Haflinger, an Auto Club computer search will come up with Steyr in the database as an insurable vehicle with the ratings already done. As I said in my previous post, I was directed to someone that was willing to listen, and understood the valid points I gave him and that photos made it deceiving larger than they are….My Supacat is another thing… I still don’t how I convinced them to insure that. :? :D

Your agent did do you good… it would have been easy enough for him to let you fend for yourself.

Sounds like a very nice Pinz, post up some pics.

edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

The last time I changed insurance company's when asked for photos I made sure I was standing with my Pinz to help prevent misinterpretation of its size.

While living in the PRC AAA would not touch it and Farmers had no problem insuring it.

Go figure.
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

edzz wrote: While living in the PRC AAA would not touch it and Farmers had no problem insuring it.

Go figure.
You did something wrong. Everyone that ever contacted me had either misspelled Steyr, or tried insuring it as a Pinzgauer or SDP.
Once they got Steyr right, it went right through. Haflingers are the same.

Then again, If you were a new customer to Auto Club, they may not accept some vehicles.

TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

Welcome to the forum George.
When you get a chance post some pictures of your new Pinz!
Cheers,
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
cascade.king

Post by cascade.king »

Hi GRCameron,
Congrats on the purchase, but a word of warning on the insurance.

As a former Progressive claims adjuster and appraiser (for personal, commercial and special lines losses) I have to urge you to be VERY CAREFUL in using Progressive Insurance to insure anything beyond a standard issue vehicle, unless it is a "liability only" policy.

Most "non-standard" vehicles like collector cars, classics, hot rods and customs are set up with a different type of coverage than the run of the mill "family truckster". They typically insure these vehicles under a "stated amount" or "stated value" policy for comprehensive and collision coverage. This type of policy is SUCH a scam.

I'll explain..

A stated value policy is originated by the Progressive underwriting department as a way to squeeze the maximum policy price from you while returning the minimum coverage. They ask you what the value of your truck is, and set the policy premium price based on that amount. The higher the stated value, the higher the premium.

So, you would think that this would cover you in the event of damage to your vehicle.. but.. No.

In the event of a covered loss, the Progressive policy pays less than the stated amount, as the they have the right to pay the lesser of your trucks depreciated actual cash value (ACV) or its replacement cost. If they find any evidence that your truck is worth less "in the general market" then you "stated" they pay that amount.

If you wreck it, and the repair cost exceeds 80% of their determined value, they total it.

This is easier if I give you a hypothetical claim;

Bob owns a 1974 VW Beetle, which he has fixed up himself. The paint is ok, no rust and has a rebuilt motor and clean interior. He buys a "stated amount" policy from Progressive with a stated amount of $17,000, which is what he figures he's sunk into it and it's value to him.

Progressive bills him monthly for a policy cost that reflects the $17k.

One day, a tree falls on the Bug, crushing the front end.. Estimate for repair, $8000.

Progressive searches around and finds that vehicles like Bob's Bug have sold for around $9500 in his area. Since the initial repair estimate was more than 80% of the "actual cash value" as determined by Progressive, they decide to total it..

Progressive tells Bob they will pay him the $9500. Bob is pissed, but figures he can at least put that amount towards the repair..
Wrong.

That $9500 is if they process the vehicle and sell it for salvage. They already have a $3000 salvage bid.

He can loose the Bug and get $9500, or keep the Bug and get $6500.

Remember the policy was set up as $17k, and Bob's premium was based on that amount.

RIP OFF! And trust me, it happens all the time.

Shop around, find an insurer with an "Agreed Value policy" that guarantees the policy will pay up to the full insured amount of the vehicle with no depreciation, in case of a covered loss.

My 2 cents.
Again, welcome!
Mike
1971 North American 700AP Haflinger Pathfinder
Pinz710m2

Post by Pinz710m2 »

Congratulations on your new 710M. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

I had similar problems in insurance, but I would strongly advise
that the key difference between companies is mostly the agent. Most agents
I spoke with were clueless. I ended up going with Progressive because
the agent actually got the underwriter on the phone and we filled out the
boxes together, because it was non-standard and she wasn't sure how to
represent the vehicle. However, I've got to give you the flip-side to what
cascade.king told you. Progressive is a deal if you are realistic about the
value and market of your vehicle. I won't make up a vehicle for an example.
I'll use mine: I have a 30,000km 710M. Realistically (not dreaming
at all) the value is somewhere around $15,500 to $16,500 - REAL WORLD.
(but by the time I'm done, I might have $22,000 in it. That's a hobby. My choice)
In other words, I could put it on the market tomorrow and sell it fairly quickly
for that price in cash. That is known as your ACV. (Actual cash value)
It doesn't matter if you line it with gold leaf, repaint it, and put Renaissance
art on the roof of the interior, the ACV is what it is worth. In example, if you
build a $200,000 kitchen on a $300,000 house, you do not have a $500,000
house ... maybe $350,000 at best.

So, I stated my ACV as $17,000. If the vehicle gets wrecked, I go out and get
3 bids on repair, just like any car. Then the haggling begins, just like with any
insurance company. You just don't get the option to replace the vehicle because,
well, let's face it ... they aren't making any more.

So, what I'm saying is that it's not a great deal, and it's not a bad deal. It's insurance.
If you hit someone, you'll be covered and you won't lose your home. If someone hits
you, they will pay (you hope) and if something else happens, it won't be a total loss.
Insurance isn't supposed to "pay off" if something happens. That;s a total misconception.
Insurance is supposed to insure that if something happens, you don't forfeit your entire
future to pay for a mistake.

I hope that doesn't offend anyone.
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

Both of the last two posts are sounding very real, and therefore quite scary. I would certainly not take offense at information given for assistance in helping to make a choice.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

Since this has become mainly an insurance thread...
I just happened to get my renewal yesterday so it is sitting in front of me.
Granted I am in Ontario, Canada but it may help others?
When insuring an antique car via an appraisal it will either be one of 2 endorsemnts types: OPCF 19A or OPCF 19.

OPCF 19A - Agreed Value of Automobile Endorsement
This endorsement will guarantee to pay the amount stated on the endorsement in the event of a total loss. That amount is determined by the initial appraisal of the car that was done before the policy was issued.
19A also has the benefit of protection when not at fault. If the other insurance will only pay X amount then the 19A policy will pay the difference between the initial appraisal-X!

OPCF 19 - Limitation Of Amount Endorsement
This endorsement sets a limit to the liability of the insurer (usually the appraised value). At their discretion they need only pay out what they consider to be the Actual Cash Value (ACV) of the car or the appraised value - whichever is less.
This to me is similar to what cascade.king is describing

I don't know the endorsements in the US or in various states but it is something to look into carefully so you know what your actually have!
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
pinzinator

Post by pinzinator »

I insure mine through Hagerty Insurance. I have to keep it in a locked garage and drive less than 2500 miles a year, and am able to do both. I also have to have another car for daily driving, the HHR. The agreed value is $15K for the 710, 100/300, for about $150 year. My 442 and Haffy add about $300 more, with the Olds costing the most.
They pay claims fast, as I found out when I hit a scrap piece of tire with the 442.