finally getting around an introducion

All things not relating to the other forums.
Warren

finally getting around an introducion

Post by Warren »

Gday, I've been a member for a while now so it's about time I introduced myself, so here goes, I've been a proud pinz owner for about 2 years now a civilian 712K, it just kinda fell into my lap. Originally I planned to just get it registered and go on a couple of small offroad outings and then move it on.... but no, the bug well and truly bit me and I fell in love with it. The build quality, exceptional engineering etc and the ear to ear grin I have whenever I drive it is what got me. Not to mention the pinz community on this forum, the wealth of knowledge and willingness to share is something I found uniquely altruistic. So thanks, many of you have been a big help to me without knowing it. Also even though the spare parts sellers are on the other side of the world from me I have to say I much prefer dealing with them (Scott EI, Sarah SAV, Dale HafTek) than many sellers local to me who seem to have no problem pushing cheap and nasty products and services.
Now a bit about my pinz, its a 1985 712k 4 door, it was imported new in 1985 by Peter and Alan Hamilton of
Porsche dealerships in Australia they were well known here for building and importing race cars and vehicles that were interesting or different, they brought 2 over at the time but I was told the other was in a nasty accident/ rollover and badly damaged, they were both RHD.
Modifications and points worth a mention.... being such a late build its obviously got the 2.7 litre engine and exec 2 pinions, it was imported with aircon but the previous owner (who I worked for for too many years)ripped it all off rather than repair it. He also removed and threw away the rear folding seats and the rearmost sliding windows seen in one of the pics. It has a power steering conversion, G Wagen box and pump, 2 forward facing rear seats behind front seats, 2 aluminium rollbars inside cab 1 over front seats (being a civi it has no cabin divider) and 1 over rears. The brake booster is a slightly larger unit sourced from a BMW, it apparently applies 5 kg of extra brake force, breaks are awesome but I never drove it before this was fitted, it bolts directly to pedal box. 12 volt conversion of the entire vehicle (alt rewind), intermittent wipers and its dual fuel, petrol 120 lts and LPG 140 lts actual fill, I fitted the LPG because its about half the price of petrol over here and available everywhere, the air cooled engine really seems to love it, I couldn't be happier with it.
I've got plans to a lot more work to it, giving it some new paint is high on the list as I don't like the yellow on it, BTW only the roof, rubrails, tail light back plates and rear bumper tubes are yellow, hopefully pics are coming soon. The pic of it in off white/beige is the original colour, but I think I'll probably paint it an OD or something close.
Cheers Warren.
It seems none of my images are "valid" I tried uploading several with no joy. I select choose file then I select an image, then I select add file. After the site tries to upload for a while I get a message saying its an invalid file. Am I doing something wrong?
Last edited by Warren on Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1985 712 K
2x1978 tgb 1314 amb
2xSubaru Brumby (Brat) ute
1993 Nissan GQ
TechMOGogy
Canada

Re: finally getting around an introducion

Post by TechMOGogy »

What kind of files are they?
jpg's or something else
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
Warren

Post by Warren »

I assume they are jpg's as these letters are a part of the file name, also maybe reated? I'm not able to change my username or add a photo to my profile, depending on my request on the edit profile page I get conflicting error messages... on the one hand it tells me "the new password is the same as your old one" and on the other "your password is incorrect" perhaps my account is confused somehow. (I know I am), My understanding of computers/devices is very weak at best, I find them to be a frustrating and illogical beast.
1985 712 K
2x1978 tgb 1314 amb
1993 Nissan GQ
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Hi Warren. Glad to have you aboard, if belatedly. :D
perhaps my account is confused somehow. (I know I am), My understanding of computers/devices is very weak at best, I find them to be a frustrating and illogical beast.
Ah! A kindred soul. When in distress (forum-wise, at least), send a pm to Vince and he can help you out.
I can't wait to see pictures. Sounds like some interesting items on your truck.
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

Photo help. The file size was too big, I reduced the size and posted them for you. Others can better describe the process.

Nice looking truck and welcome aboard.
Attachments
5.JPG
5.JPG (48.17 KiB) Viewed 3127 times
4.jpg
4.jpg (110.09 KiB) Viewed 3127 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (56.91 KiB) Viewed 3127 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (76.54 KiB) Viewed 3127 times
1.jpeg
1.jpeg (66.62 KiB) Viewed 3127 times
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
Haf-e
United States of America

Post by Haf-e »

Looks like its a three door (1/2 K - 1/2 M) version? Never have seen that before...
Haf-e

1971 Pinzgauer 710M

Disc Brake Conversion Kits for 710 and 712 Pinzgauers
www.klugewerks.com
CentAr712
United States of America

Post by CentAr712 »

I just noticed how it has a K rear door on the driver's side, but M style body panels on the passenger side. It's the first time I've seen an M/K hybrid like that; pretty cool. Thanks for posting pics!
Chris.
https://www.supanik.com/pinz
'76 712M Rapier Cargo (Swiss), For Sale
'83 MB W460 280GE G-Wagen, For Sale
Warren

Post by Warren »

First I have to thank edzz for resizing and posting those photos for me, I had no idea about resizing images until edzz explained in his recent PM to me. When I've learnt to turn my missus' laptop on, I will then learn about resizing and post some more photos if people want.
Haf-e wrote:Looks like its a three door (1/2 K - 1/2 M) version? Never have seen that before...
Its actually a four door... 1 rear side door on the LHS
CentAr712 wrote:I just noticed how it has a K rear door on the driver's side, but M style body panels on the passenger side. It's the first time I've seen an M/K hybrid like that; pretty cool. Thanks for posting pics!
I spoke to Dale at Haffy Tek about it... he told me "he has one that was one of four built for the Nigerian army as radio trucks, they are pretty rare though" I believe they are still just designated as a K though. Dale sent me a photo, it looks like an Austrian K with the gen door/vent on the rear LHS and has roof mountrd aircon as well as a half roof rack on the rear half. It is an immaculate truck the photo he sent it was the bridal car in a wedding, sounds like someone we know :shock:
Cheers Warren
1985 712 K
2x1978 tgb 1314 amb
1993 Nissan GQ