Low RPM's a knuckle saver offroad

All things not relating to the other forums.
eToothpaste

Low RPM's a knuckle saver offroad

Post by eToothpaste »

When I tuned my pinz last winter I feared that I gave it too low of RPM's. I think it idles in the area of 600-700. But after a summer of rocky trails and steep declines, I must say the low RPM's make traversing difficult terrain much less stressful and jarring.

https://vimeo.com/105623511https://vimeo.com/105623432

Sorry for the potato quality on that video, but it shows how easily the low rpm Pinz handles downhill by just plunking it in 1 low and letting it idle its way down the rocks. I don't have videos, but this is much improved from my attempt last year on the very same trail when I puckered my cheeks so badly I had to turn around and seek help to unclench.

Uphill just requires a little pump of gas every once in a while to keep her from stalling. It was nice enough that the wife didn't feel the need to bail out each and every time there was a big climb ahead. Then again, who would take videos if not for the weak of 'clentch'. Image
Matt

1972 710m
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Re: Low RPM's a knuckle saver offroad

Post by 4x4Pinz »

Here is another theory, You are getting used to the handling characteristics of the Pinz. People new to the pinz tend to be a little freaked out by the way it handles obstacles but after time they become a little more comfortable.
I know when my kids were in school I would take them and their friends out to a play area not too far from the house. I used to get lots of screams of terror from them but now they all but fall asleep over the same terrain.
eToothpaste

Post by eToothpaste »

Very true.

I should also say now that I remember it, the idle was set ridiculously high last year.
Matt

1972 710m
Kaweeka

Post by Kaweeka »

:shock: Wait - was that a German Shorthair in the back?
Stuck in the bureaucratic spin cycle!
eToothpaste

Post by eToothpaste »

No, just my looney Springer Spaniel and Newfie-Shephard.
Matt

1972 710m