Import Costs Australia

All things not relating to the other forums.
michael mcauliffe
Australia

Import Costs Australia

Post by michael mcauliffe »

Hi Folks

I'm just trying to find out from anyone who has imported a vehicle recently into Australia what the customs / importing charges are ?

I think the cost is related to how much the vehicle costs ?

Cheers

Michael
Profpinz
Australia

Re: Import Costs Australia

Post by Profpinz »

I can't remember all the costs exactly, but detailed info and costs are here;
http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page4371.asp
Don't forget all the ancillary costs, such as dock fees, customs, AQIS if your doing it yourself.

Your best shot is to ring the Department of Infrastructure and Transport in Canberra if you want any specific info.
Peter

1974, 712 6X6 Pinzgauer
1983, 710-1.6 4X4 Pinzgauer
1997, 718 6X6 Pinzgauer (in pieces)
1971, 700 Haflinger
1974, 703 LWB Haflinger
2001, Range Rover

http://www.ozpinz.com
michael mcauliffe
Australia

Thanks Profpinz

I'll read the information and give DITC a call to clarify any questions.

Cheers

Mick
Ian
Australia

Post by Ian »

I brought my Pinzgauer in a couple of years ago. As it was over 30 years old it is excempt from import duty, but I had to pay 10 percent GST (or maybe the other way round?) They base the 10 percent on what they value it at, but as they had nothing to go off they accepted the purchase price I had paid when I bought it at the swiss army auction in Thun. (I showed them the purchase receipt). I got the feeling that was at their discretion and they could try you for more if they wanted to. The whole operation was fairly painless here in Hobart, but, like a lot of things, I think I was lucky in that everyone I had to deal with seemed to have a sensible attitude. I reckon if you got the wrong person, it'd be a real headache.
michael mcauliffe
Australia

Hi Ian

I'm trying to do as much research as possible so if i do decide to import a Volvo TGB 20 (like below), i'll be heading in the right direction. I'm just curious about the import fees and charges as I remember talking to a bloke from WA and he mentioned once he imported his 6WD into Australia and had it registered it cost him about about $15 Grand.

Luckily some of the admin fees are set so hopefully there shouldn't be any surprises.

Cheers

Mick
Attachments
tgb20c.jpg
tgb20c.jpg (16.23 KiB) Viewed 3687 times
Ian
Australia

Post by Ian »

Hi Mick,

I paid nothing like that, more like around 5 grand I think. Local cost were minimal, only a couple of hundred dollars or so. Make sure the engine and chassis number match the paperwork, as that was about the only thing they seemed really bothered about when it got here. With the age of these vehicles they are exempt from most of the regulations.

Make sure you get an import approval before you ship. I'd owned my vehicle for about 10 years before I shipped it and I think that helps. Seem to think the rules (and maybe costs) are different if you've only just purchased it.

I did nearly all of it myself which no doubt kept the cost down. One last tip, I seem to remember the fuel tank had to either be empty or less than 1 litre in or something like that. Caused me a bit of a hiccup loading out of Europe as I wasn't ready for that.

Good luck!
michael mcauliffe
Australia

Thanks for advice Ian, I have checked a few websites regarding the process / procedures and it seems to be pretty straight forward.

I noticed there are some freight companies that say they can do all the paperwork and even steam clean the vehicle for you before being shipped, it would depend on the cost of course.

Like anything, if i do my home work then it's less hassle in the long run.

Cheers

Mick
Garrycol
Australia

Post by Garrycol »

michael mcauliffe wrote:and even steam clean the vehicle for you before being shipped,
I can guarantee that irrespective of how clean it leaves it will still have to be cleaned again here at considerable cost when it gets here - just one of the rip offs.

Garry
1973 Haflinger AP700
1977 Landrover FC 101
2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6
1971 Jaguar Series 3 E-Type Conv
1957 Landrover 88" Station Wagon
1957 Landrover 88"