Electric steering for 710/712s

All things not relating to the other forums.
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Electric steering for 710/712s

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

Do we have a thread on this yet? I dont recall seeing one but I assume I'm wrong. And holy crap that's expensive!
http://www.puch.at/4589_1255_content_El ... spx?LNG=en
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

kdiqq
United States of America

Re: Electric steering for 710/712s

Post by kdiqq »

That's $3400 after returning core. Geeze...

Hard to believe installation is worth >$600 too haha

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk
1977 Austrian 710M
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

considering what we have found when looking into electric steering that is not a bad price. Most of the US model electric steering units are only rated for 2500# vehicles. If this unit is capable of handling the added weight along with the offroad abilities of the Pinz, it would be a decent price. If the unit can handle the weight of the vehicle. If the unit does not draw too much current to cook the pinz wiring. If the turn around time is not so great that the truck is down for months. Lots of IFs in there.

At least there is an option for those who drive blacktop more then dirt.
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

VinceAtReal4x4s wrote:Do we have a thread on this yet? I dont recall seeing one but I assume I'm wrong. And holy crap that's expensive!
http://www.puch.at/4589_1255_content_El ... spx?LNG=en
We do
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=8797&hilit=power+steering

And that price is stupid - I talked to the guys here in the US, in UK and NL and for a pre-made unit for a Pinz it would be 1500 shipped!
Here is part of the email I received:
We have a kit with replaces the upper part of your column it is 60 Amps and powerful enough.
Attached are pictures of the kit and the complete column.
I have also attached a manual for a Citroën Traction, the installation of this columns is almost similar.
The kit is 1250 and shipment 150 euros
With kind regards
Ruud
only thing was it is 12v so you need a converter
If it fails (steering motor or converter) then your steering just goes back to manual - no loss

Sad thing is if you zoom in on the link Vince provided you will see it is the same system!!
9-9-2015 4-12-13 PM.jpg
9-9-2015 4-12-13 PM.jpg (55.21 KiB) Viewed 6489 times
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

Here is the kit pic they sent me
unnamed (7).jpg
unnamed (7).jpg (52.69 KiB) Viewed 6489 times
acebee
Switzerland

Post by acebee »

hmm..

i'd rather put off the inevitable muscle death in my arms during old age.. :mrgreen:

oh..may the well heeled have skinny ET like arms.. :lol:
ExpeditionImports
United States of America

Post by ExpeditionImports »

Hi guys,

We are onsite with the manufacturer tomorrow for the install into 2 of my trucks. Hope to document the process and give some more information. Please note the S-tec offering is TUV approved for road use. I assure you that is not a simple process and says a lot about the units.

We shall see......

Cheers,

Scott
Expedition Imports Corporation
Vallejo, California
www.expedition-imports.com
"You didn't buy a Chevy..." "Hows that Amazon tech support working out...."
rmel
United States of America

Post by rmel »

That converter shown is a Victron Energy, Orion 24/12 70 Amp unit.
It can output to spec even with only 18V input -- a top of the line
product. The output is adjustable from 10v-15v (F set to 13.3V).

At 60A peak load you will be 30+Amps on the 24V side. Make sure your
alternator is up to snuff -- although the motor demand will obviously
vary considerably by road condition -- your arms can tell you that :D
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

ExpeditionImports wrote:Hi guys,

We are onsite with the manufacturer tomorrow for the install into 2 of my trucks. Hope to document the process and give some more information. Please note the S-tec offering is TUV approved for road use. I assure you that is not a simple process and says a lot about the units.

We shall see......

Cheers,

Scott
Your at S-Tec or the OEM of the unit?
ExpeditionImports
United States of America

We actually had the engineers from the OEM at our warehouse in Belgium this morning installing the systems into 2 of our Pinzgauers. Installs completed, results are incredible. It made a statement with us as we placed a purchase order on the spot for 10 units. When I have some time I will do a proper write up and give you our observations. It will go to market FOR OFF ROAD USE just under 2K. It has been approved for road use in Europe, however my company is not willing to handle that process in the United States, so at this point it will be sold for OFF ROAD USE ONLY. Installs were so simple, 2 trucks completed in 4 hours with 2 engineers. They actually cut and tig welded the columns in the truck. Install at our shop will run in the $500 range if your truck is near Vallejo, CA.

Cheers,
Scott
Attachments
DSC_0899.JPG
DSC_0899.JPG (376.38 KiB) Viewed 6266 times
DSC_0928.JPG
DSC_0928.JPG (533.64 KiB) Viewed 6266 times
DSC_0896.JPG
DSC_0896.JPG (525.01 KiB) Viewed 6266 times
Vallejo, California
kdiqq
United States of America

Post by kdiqq »

Can the knee guard still be installed without having to modify it?

Will there be a possibility of selling pre-fab parts (steering shaft/column) and shipping the assembly for bolt-in installation?

Looks slick!
1977 Austrian 710M
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

getting the feeling a road trip is in the future.
ExpeditionImports
United States of America

Steering bolster fits at the top but is about 1.5" off at the bottom where it clamps to the tube. A spacer will have to be used.....rather minor modification.

Power options will be up to the customer. Single tap off of 1 battery seems to be the norm over here in Europe....I am not a fan of that option personally. A 24-12 converter that can handle 40 Amps is an option. Or another option being used here in Europe is a 24-12 charger feeding a 12V auxiliary Gel Cel motorcycle battery.....

We cannot do an exchange program unless someone is paying for a complete box rebuild as well. Reason being quite simple, Jim Boy sends in his low mileage box on exchange. He gets Billy Bobs "great condition" box in return, only problem being Billy Bobs box spent most of its life in the bayou and is shot. Bottom line there is no accountability on "cores" unless the core is completely gone thru and most customers will not want to pay for the cost of that service.

We will be happy to have a customer send in there box, we mod it up and send it back. Same box received, same box sent back. We will be filming and have in install booklet and the install is very straight forward. The technical aspect is someone that knows how to tig or mig weld professionally as people's life depends upon it. With the exception of the welding Jim Boy or Billy Bob would be able to handle the install.....and I've sometimes been quite amazed at the quality of weld Jim Bob can do as well. :)

All in jest, but hopefully highlights some of the issues that will be addressed. No offense intended to Billy Bob and Jim Boy.

This really is a kit that the end product is going to have significant implications to the price. As mentioned earlier in the thread, other vendors prices cannot really be analyzed without knowing exactly what goes in their kit. I just got a quote for a converter/charger that tops $1400 for the unit itself. The total bill when all is said and done in that installation will be close to 4K. Brian will be spending about $2500 total on his installation into his 712DK using the motorcycle battery option......

I would highly recommend those in the Bay Area that have an interest to drop in Mid November and take a truck for a spin with it installed.

Cheers,

Scott
Last edited by ExpeditionImports on Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vallejo, California
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

Looks to be the best modification for Pinzgauers ever, next to radial tires.
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

JimmyC

Post by JimmyC »

I bought this kit for a much lower price but have been hesitent to install it. First the adapter that has to be welded on to the steering shaft is pretty high carbon and I worry about the weld cracking. Second the shaft in the steering motor is tiny. I think it is supposed to be good for 300 mm. I finally decided that it would require too much testing for me. I am glad somebody else has taken it on. So far I have had to rely on cortisone injections to the shoulder and that gets old.
Jim Chance
710M

All my post fully incorporate the Dunning-Kruger effect