Engine conversion

Engine troubles? Try here.
ARVOps

Re: Engine conversion

Post by ARVOps »

Having driven numerous Pinzgauers over the years, I am very happy with the 2.7L Goatwerks motor Jim LaGuardia put in the Uglyduck.
It will hold speed or accelerate up most grades. Only on the steepest of inclines do I have to down shift.
I won’t be winning any road races but under normal driving conditions I never feel I am underpowered.

Thanks again Jim.
sold 712AMB/M 2.7L Goatwerks Power! UglyDuck living the life in Alaska :(
I am pinzless.
I'm at Poway Jeep If you all need a hook up on a Cummins, Hemi, Or a Jeep. PM me.
Paul Gudmundson

Post by Paul Gudmundson »

well i was hopping to report sooner on jims 2.7 conversion but still waiting on some other parts to get here :cry: the pistons and cam from jim look great and were packaged nice. they slipped in with no problem at all and if you have any questions jim is always willing to help you out. hopefully by the end of this weekend i'll be up and running.
Winter Beater

Post by Winter Beater »

Ooohh, just like christmas as a kid with all the anticipation - my pistons & cam on order for almost 4 weeks. Only 2 weeks until christmas!
Winter Beater

Post by Winter Beater »

I'm 300 miles after Jim's 2.7 conversion including cam ... very nice. Drivability has increased, I have power to pull up small grades easily without losing 5-8 MPH, can usually keep it in 4th or 5th for the entire commute to work. Need to complete the 1000 mile break in period in time for the RMP treffen in Ourey. Then I'll let ya'all know about the off road advantages.

I did this in my garage over weekends - Jim has been great support for my DIY hobby. Thanks Jim.

PS; the added bonus is that the Pinz has stopped dripping oil onto my driveway ... http://real4x4forums.com/PinzgauerBBS/p ... =12&t=5878#
Dreadnought

Post by Dreadnought »

This lovely old thread......I thought it was time to add something to revive it. Nigel is right........the Mercedes Diesel that he put in my 710K, (OM602) along with it,s gearbox, (it came out of a UK spec Mercedes sprinter 110D is absolutely fine......economy is great, but it is a slow plodding thing.....(are you sure my one is not the older 2.4)...I say slow and plodding, that's because there is a huge gap between 2nd (it has a dog leg 1st) and third...once you get up to speed...absolutely fine at 100kph on motorway/autostrada/highway......on smaller roads happier at 80kph. How long have I had it now Nigel...?? 8-9 years...gone through a couple of 3 sets of tyres.......It does seem to go through starter motor solenoids......water gets in! (wish that starter was higher up) couple of sets of those cheap rubber axle gaiters. This year it is up for a complete top and roof off and rub down and re-paint. Back to that engine???? Hmmmm?? it is a big heavy lump....I had a Suzuki Jimny with the 1.5DCI diesel and I wondered if one of those might not be better? (a bit complicated though with all the electronics etc) I have looked around at a few of the turbocharged but otherwise very simple engines (around 13-1600cc) in some of the small Japanese minitractors.....I have a Yanmar F22D non turbo and it punches well above it,s weight......maybe something like that turbo'd.
Aiming to introduce UK Politicians to Piano wire and Lamposts!
one2many
Australia

Post by one2many »

Dreadnought, have you considered the om605TD? The overdriven six speed gearbox that comes with them would solve the problem of large gaps in the gearing and the six speed from sprinter vans of the same era will also bolt straight up. There are SMFlywheel clutch kits that do away with overly complex Dual Mass design they were released with.
The electric injection pump (IP) and computer can also be deleted by using the mechanical IP from an om602 as they fit straight on the om605 however for best results it's better if you have the IP tuned for the motor and what you want from it. Dieselmeken in Sweden can send you a fully rebuilt pump tuned to your needs.
The 2.5lt 5cyl om605TD and gearbox is approximately 1300cm long IIRC. This set up will easily give you 150hp (much more depending on pump tuning) with gearing well suited to a Pinzgauer.

This is definitely an engine/gearbox combination worth some consideration and would be a huge improvement on the om602 where power and fuel economy are concerned as well as having a reputation for being even more durable as well.

All the best
1985 pinzgauer 712K factory 2.7lt civilian (RHD, 4 door K)
1979 Volvo tgb 1314a (under construction to om606 diesel/722.6 trans. Dual cab/tray)
ExpeditionImports
United States of America

Post by ExpeditionImports »

The S-Tec guys have a booth at Allrad in Germany this weekend and they had some nice re-engine examples on display. Lighting was difficult but photo is not a 718 but a reworked 712M with there diesel.
IMG_3052.JPG
IMG_3052.JPG (2.15 MiB) Viewed 8255 times
IMG_3063.JPG
IMG_3063.JPG (1.9 MiB) Viewed 8255 times
Cheers,

Scott
Expedition Imports Corporation
Vallejo, California
www.expedition-imports.com
"You didn't buy a Chevy..." "Hows that Amazon tech support working out...."
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Scott,
Did you notice which side of the central tube the transfer case input was? The original right side of the 710/12 or the left where the TD is?

The 712 high range is a little higher than the TD's, but the TD has a lot lower low range.

With the 712 being 8" shorter in the wheelbase and cab length than a 718, I'm curious to what trans was used and if the cardon shaft was was even shorter.
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
ExpeditionImports
United States of America

Dave,

Those are all excellent questions and well thought out and I did not even bother to look since it will never see the shores of the USA. More business related items to discuss with S-Tec and lots to see. When you mention EPA they just laugh. I am sure they will have some details in the future. They also had a nice re-powered Puch 230GE.

Maybe next time in Graz we might have a chance of driving on of them and climbing underneath. Still not something your are going to see one the shores of the US.

Cheers,

Scott
Last edited by ExpeditionImports on Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vallejo, California
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

ExpeditionImports wrote: Still not something your are going to see on the shores of the US.
Maybe not "officially" through them, but I can see some making it over in other ways if proven worthwhile. If I had the money.....
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

ExpeditionImports
United States of America

Given the price window on a new European compliant diesel engine I think I am pretty accurate on my assessment of not seeing one on the shores of the US. People are balking at current truck pricing they would choke on the engine price. The new R2.8 from Cummins would seem more practical but I am sure it will have packaging issues give the Pinzgauer architecture. It comes down to a cost benefit analysis. While it is a nice to have I would rather change out the gas portals to the diesel portals and call it good and still have money in the bank.

Right now we are running our own engine program for people who can't check their oil, rev their motors too high for too long or can't keep rodents from building nests under the engine tin on top of cylinder #4. Will see what magic can be resurrected from these units.
DSC_0665.JPG
DSC_0665.JPG (1.88 MiB) Viewed 8240 times
DSC_0658.JPG
DSC_0658.JPG (1.74 MiB) Viewed 8240 times
DSC_0663.JPG
DSC_0663.JPG (1.97 MiB) Viewed 8240 times

Cheers,

Scott
Vallejo, California
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Scott,
I've seen some posts on the 2.8L Cummins on different forums and the first thing I get out them is that it is a low rpm diesel and requires a 'mega' gear tranny to get them going and make them highwayable. What people don't seem to talk about is the baby Duramax diesel, also a 2.8L rated at 181 hp., 369fpt and a max rpm of 5000. I ordered a 2016 Chevy Colorado with it, and the first thing that ran through my mind was this would be awesome in a 716 or 718, if you could keep your foot out of the accelerator, it just wants to run!
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
ExpeditionImports
United States of America

Problem is buying a truck with portal axles and trying to make them highwayable. Problem is the definition of highway speed keeps changing. Some people buy highway trucks (pickups) and trying to make them into offroad trucks and others will buy an offroad truck and try to make them highway trucks.

After this many years watching endless motor swaps, better off tweaking a stock truck with tires and some other odds and ends. In my office there are three jars each with exact amount of portal box gear oil and the max weight per box by vehicle. That alone makes people think twice when they say they want to drive at highway speed for long periods.

Cheers,

Scott
Vallejo, California
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

I should have said I was thinking of the G-class where an engineered swap (by these guys specifically) could be done fairly easily with nothing but very positive side effects, other than being broke afterwards. The 460 chassis G/Puchs could definitely use something like that. The popular swap is to go to the 606 diesel but they are getting hard to come by in decent enough condition.

I agree on the Pinz and wouldn't touch its engine bay with anything but stock motors.
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

Rats nest you say?
Never heard of that ;)
IMG_1091.JPG
IMG_1091.JPG (94.13 KiB) Viewed 8222 times
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker