Ral 6014 Paint = what paint code in US?

All things body, interior, paint, windows, tops... you know.
dgrcich

Ral 6014 Paint = what paint code in US?

Post by dgrcich »

Any one have luck converting Ral 6014 into a paint code used in the states? Every paint shop wants to know what year and model so they can look up in there books then give me "the face" when I say 74 pinzgauer..
CentAr712
United States of America

Re: Ral 6014 Paint = what paint code in US?

Post by CentAr712 »

Nothing is exact with these paint code conversions but here is what I know; the closest is FS 24064 but as far as I know, this color isn't available commercially except as DB6431 which was a color used on Unimogs, but that likely won't be any easier to get. The next closest color would be FS 24052, aka semi-gloss USMC green which is available since it's used in military vehicle restorations. Unfortunately, the FS 24052 is only available in an alkyd enamel as far as I know. Rapco parts co. sells it since they are a distributer for Gillespie coatings the company that makes it. The FS is Federal Standard; I have an FS595A color deck and compared them and they are in my opinion, indistinguishable if you take into consideration the various levels of fading encountered in the original paint. The federal standard paint colors are not available commercially unless it's something used in antique military vehicle restorations. My plan for a new paint job on my Pinz is to take a paint sample to O'Reilly's Auto Parts or NAPA and see if they can mix an accurate match in an acrylic enamel.
Chris.
https://www.supanik.com/pinz
'76 712M Rapier Cargo (Swiss), For Sale
'83 MB W460 280GE G-Wagen, For Sale
dgrcich

Post by dgrcich »

Thank you!! Located two places to get the paint.
PPG paint rep said they CAN do their fleet paint in RAL 6014 color...cost still not known untill I get a call back
and www.aerocoat.com can do the FS 24064 version of RAL 6014 in semi gloss for around $280 a gallon
cowetadirtfarmer
Hungary

Post by cowetadirtfarmer »

Local PPG shop found the code for RAL6014 and it mixed to a perfect match. PPG ALK-200 was the paint and they wrote this number on the can-- 920478. I had it mixed to a satin finish and the cost was about $60 for the gallon. It has been holding up just fine....Hope this helps.
CentAr712
United States of America

Post by CentAr712 »

I would probably wait and see exactly what kind of paint the PPG "fleet paint" is before I made a decision. If the PPG fleet paint turns out to be an acrylic or alkyd enamel, I'd go with a paint offered by the other place; my point being that an aliphatic polyurethane aka urethane enamel is best and Aerocoat says on their site that's what they have. I've never used the Hentzen that they offer, but I do know thats the brand a local military contractor uses to paint MLRS missile systems NATO green. I personally use the PPG Ameron marine line of urethanes and they are in my opinion, the best coating I've ever used.
Chris.
Pols497
United States of America

Post by Pols497 »

Ask them to put some flattener in it for you. this will take out any gloss if that is how you want it to look. Any shine at all will show all your dents. Also use hardener with your acrylic enamel. Or just bite the bullet and have them mix you up with polyurethane. Hard as nails and it holds up to chips and scratches real good. That is what most of your 18 wheelers are painted with.
Roger Melton
PhilH

Post by PhilH »

Does anyone have a Dupont paint code they used that matches well. We don't have a Ppg store and the other couldn't come close to a match. Thanks.
'74 710m
M101A2 Trailer
'69 Firebird Convertible
M Wehrman
United States of America

Post by M Wehrman »

I use BASF Limco CMO 836 in eggshell,tough and easy to work with.It is almost a perfect match to the original color. I've done 4 trucks in this and it holds up very well,minimal fade.
Stock means no imagination!

Volvo TGB1317, .95% Morphed!

68 Haffy
dgrcich

Post by dgrcich »

Went with www.aerocoat.com FS 24064. Matched well and happy with the color. Image

Thanks for the help!!!
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

Very nice! I like the color and the finish.
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

Great looking vehicle. Does it run as good as it looks? If the answer is yes you are very fortunate to have such a good vehicle. Be very proud.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
westernair
United States of America

Post by westernair »

So is it safe to say you did not paint your spare gas can? Is this a way to tell the difference in original color and what was chosen? Not sure if the jerry can matched or not beforehand.
I too really like your paint, is that a satin finish?
Shawn

62 haffy Bantam
61 haffy 4 door

72 710K - Sold
73 712M - Sold
CentAr712
United States of America

Post by CentAr712 »

Wow, that looks completely authentic in my opinion. When I am ready to paint mine, I will have confidence in using that color. Thanks for sharing your great results!
Chris.
dgrcich

Post by dgrcich »

krick3tt wrote:Great looking vehicle. Does it run as good as it looks? If the answer is yes you are very fortunate to have such a good vehicle. Be very proud.
It runs really good.. Labor of love and proud to say I have done all the work myself with a little help
westernair wrote:So is it safe to say you did not paint your spare gas can? Is this a way to tell the difference in original color and what was chosen? Not sure if the jerry can matched or not beforehand.
I too really like your paint, is that a satin finish?
Painted gas can with SAV RAL 6014 in a spray can.. If SAV is dead on with the paint then that could be used as base for comparison but when I originally painted that can it was off color from the rest of the vehicle. So your guess is as good as mine :(.

The reason I decided to give her a facelift..

krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

What bride wouldn't be proud to be driven in a 'limo' like that. You are one lucky man to have a woman like her and a great ride as well. :lol:
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford