Our first Pinz 710M

All things not relating to the other forums.
GRCameron
United States of America

Re: Our first Pinz 710M

Post by GRCameron »

My policy is liability only. I figured that even though I paid a stated price for the vehicle, the depreciated value would be essentially zero as the vehicle was produced in 1979. And, with the cost of parts being what they are, utterly minor damage would sent it into the total loss category with the insurer. So, I am "self insured" against damage to the vehicle - to the amount my wallet can withstand (which isn't much), but I have good liability coverage for damage I might do to someone else, or vice versa.
George Cameron
Yarnell, AZ
1979 Pinz 710M
Molon Labe
GRCameron
United States of America

Post by GRCameron »

Here are some pics of the new Pinz. Nothing our of the ordinary, just that it is ours! :D
Attachments
The dnew Pinz - 5
The dnew Pinz - 5
pinz rt qtr.jpg (343.51 KiB) Viewed 4473 times
The new Pinz - 4
The new Pinz - 4
pinz rear.jpg (323.78 KiB) Viewed 4473 times
The new Pinz - 3
The new Pinz - 3
pinz lt front.jpg (341.15 KiB) Viewed 4473 times
The new Pinz - 2
The new Pinz - 2
pinz front.jpg (323.3 KiB) Viewed 4473 times
The new Pinz - 1
The new Pinz - 1
pinz rt front.jpg (365.01 KiB) Viewed 4473 times
George Cameron
Yarnell, AZ
1979 Pinz 710M
Molon Labe
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

Looks nice!
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
GriffSC

Post by GriffSC »

Just picked up a 710M myself and having far more difficulty insuring it than I thought. I am with State Farm (have been for years) and they said nope. Called AAA and they referred me to American Modern - nope and nope. Talked to a broker friend of mine and he suggested Hagerty. I had already completed their online questionnaire and been denied. I completed the questionnaire again with some different answers and they (Hagerty) called me. Told me I could get insurance if it was garaged (can get around that) and if driven roughly 2500 or less/year (fine), BUT I could not take it off road or I wouldn't be insured. I understand the whole "classic" car deal, but this truck is no different and will be used no differently than the Defender 110 I just sold. I've read through the previous posts (very helpful), but I'm a bit confused on how to make this work. Maybe the liability only idea is what I've got to do...

I'm in Kalifornistan, so that doesn't help.
Mark aka "Griff"
'74 710M
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

Try Farmers. Been with them for 25 years and insured Mogs and pinzies. It is an imported Austrian truck. NOT A MILITARY VEHICLE.
If the vin doesn't have enough numbers try proceeding it with 0's. Can't believe you are getting denied by so many.
Check with people in your area...someone has to have a reasonable agent.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
GriffSC

Post by GriffSC »

Yeah, me too. Never imagined I'd have trouble. Maybe insurers are pinzophobes. My State Farm agent has been less than helpful - pretty much just passed the buck. The Hagerty guy was best, and sympathetic to my plight. We'll see what happens... thanks.
Mark aka "Griff"
'74 710M
ccalingaert

Post by ccalingaert »

GriffSC,

My 710K was insured in CA with AAA as a Steyr Pinzgauer. How did you describe your truck when they turned you down?
Chris
'74 710K
GriffSC

Post by GriffSC »

I didn't describe it really. Gave them the name (does adding Puch matter?) and they referred me to American Modern, their "classic" carrier. Talked to the guy there and he said he could probably insure the Pinz, but only if I brought my other vehicles over to AAA. That's certainly an option. I've just had really good experiences with State Farm and didn't necessarily want to change. Maybe it's worth it though...
Mark aka "Griff"
'74 710M
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Pinzes are insured by AAA in Cal. It is a Steyr
And Cal is the only Auto Club in the US that does insure them (unless any of the others have changed their stance lately)

I got these added to Auto Club's database back in 2001.
Just have them type it in.. nothing else is needed. Steyr is the manufacturer, Pinzgauer or Haflinger are the model
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
GriffSC

Post by GriffSC »

Guess I'll be moving over to AAA then. I'll give it a whirl. Thanks, David, very much.
Mark aka "Griff"
'74 710M
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

After getting Auto Club to understand the Pinz from an " at risk" viewpoint like an old Land Rover and a VW Bus of the same era, they had no problem insuring them.
Over the years I've assisted many people with Auto Club, and it has always been a problem with people giving too much info, or not spelling Steyr correctly.

Heck, I've even convinced them to insure my Supacat :mrgreen: :lol:
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
eToothpaste

Post by eToothpaste »

Progressive works for me.
Matt

1972 710m
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

I have State Farm insurance on both my Pinzis for 13 years , and my agent has checked to see that there is no prohibition by the underwriters against a Pinzgauer (I asked specifically to know if mine was grandfathered in, or ? And they said that Pinzgauers, as a vehicle, are not prohibited by SF). Your difficulty is with your agent; they just don't want to submit it. Threaten to go to another SF agent, or don't just threaten, DO SO. Once it is insured you can move, get another agent, etc. and they will have to deal with it and you won't have any future problems.

However, if you have bad or short history with SF they may not want to work very hard in your favor... but again, it is usually the AGENT, not State Farm that is saying no.

Send me a PM and I'll put you in touch with my agent in Hemet if you want to speak to them.

Best of luck.
Jim M.
712W and 710M
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

I had the agent issue with mine. Recently switched both my Pinzies, and all my insurance policies, to state farm. The first agent would not even look at the truck. Another SWPA member had state farm and I went to his agent. No problem at all getting insurance and they even got me set up with Antique so I don't have to bother with emissions anymore along with 5 year renewal on the registrations. Farmers used to do all my insurance but their lack of willingness to insure them as Antiques had me looking around. As has been mentioned they are Steyr vehicles and privately owned, not military. I have not found many insurance agencies that will insure a vehicle when it is used offroad. One friend had to fight with his agent when he had an accident in a chevy pickup on a dirt road. They told him it was offroad and not covered. Fortunately for him he eventually won out but it took some time and that was with a regular vehicle.
GriffSC

Post by GriffSC »

Thank you, Jim, for the offer. I ended up switching everything to AAA. Full coverage on my vehicles, including the Pinz, and a great agent to boot. Said sayonara to SF, with whom I'd been for 20 years. Their loss...

Great group on here btw. Former multi-Land Rover owner for years - taking a hiatus of sorts with the Pinz.
Mark aka "Griff"
'74 710M