Shuttle needed-windshields from LA to PDX Dave Dunn

All things not relating to the other forums.
NEWFISHER

Shuttle needed-windshields from LA to PDX Dave Dunn

Post by NEWFISHER »

Anyone driving north from the LA area and willing to haul a few windshields from Dave and collect some fuel money?

I'm going to buy a couple, anyone else want to jump in if we find a ride?

He is also doing the light tinted side glass. I just installed them and they are great!
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Re: Shuttle needed-windshields from LA to PDX Dave Dunn

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

LA to where?
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

NEWFISHER

Post by NEWFISHER »

Sorry, PDX aka Portland Oregon. Title wouldn't allow the full spelling and I was using our NW common speak. Apologies

I'm South a couple hours but would drive and drop off other windshields for those interested.
GadgetPhreak
United States of America

Post by GadgetPhreak »

Hmmm, maybe I throw them in the back of the 710M and do that road trip after all. How many windshields are we talking and what time frame?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
King County Search & Rescue | Regional Special Vehicles Unit
1972 710M - Building up for SAR use
Follow my build, learn more, or contact me: http://www.sarpinz.com
NEWFISHER

Post by NEWFISHER »

I would like to buy at least 2. Hoping other North West'ers jump in and we can grab a bunch from Dave. Great product, great guy!
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

NEWFISHER wrote:I would like to buy at least 2. Hoping other North West'ers jump in and we can grab a bunch from Dave. Great product, great guy!
Don't say that about him on a public forum - it will go to his head :mrgreen:
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
NEWFISHER

Post by NEWFISHER »

Ha!
Noted, but sticking to my instincts. His toys are bigger than mine ;)

Havent found a shuttle up I5 yet and I dont think Alaska Airlines will consider them " carry on" when we hit Disney Land in 2 weeks
Haf-e
United States of America

Post by Haf-e »

Since "GadgetPhreak" is buying a Pinzgauer in the San Diego area - and will be shipping it up soon - perhaps there would be a way to get the glass to his truck and have is ride up with it to Seattle. Then we can arrange getting it back down to the Portland area. I am suppose to be driving down that way in March with a lightly loaded sprinter van.

I know that some fairly large items have also been shipped via Greyhound at reasonable prices - not sure what their size limits are though.
Haf-e

1971 Pinzgauer 710M

Disc Brake Conversion Kits for 710 and 712 Pinzgauers
www.klugewerks.com
NEWFISHER

Post by NEWFISHER »

Great ideas but items inside of vehicles shipped open carrier are not covered due to damage or theft. I just had $500 worth if stuff stolen from mine when shipped. David doesnt feel comfortable with shipping glass on Greyhound or any carrier due to prior failures. Its not his packaging, its like armor for glass.

I sent Ben aka gadgetphreak a few PMs and was hoping he was driving it back. I would have ridden shotgun for a weekend cannon ball run.
GadgetPhreak
United States of America

Post by GadgetPhreak »

I've been discussing this over PM with Newfisher
Haf-e wrote:Since "GadgetPhreak" is buying a Pinzgauer in the San Diego area - and will be shipping it up soon - perhaps there would be a way to get the glass to his truck and have is ride up with it to Seattle. Then we can arrange getting it back down to the Portland area. I am suppose to be driving down that way in March with a lightly loaded sprinter van.
I'm going to make the call on ship/drive NLT end of week as I'm getting ready to start a few weeks of travel for work and need to get it locked down. It looks like I'll take possession of the Pinz on March 4th (after a trip to Vegas I'm making at the end of the month).

One concern I have is if I get there and the Pinz isn't what it appears to be... I'm thinking that's unlikely based on what I've learned, but it's possible. We could always cross that bridge when we get to it.

If I drive then happy to pick them up (with or without a co-pilot). If I transport, could we load them into the back of the Pinz and secure them before transporting on the truck? Presumably that wouldn't be any less safe than hauling them up that way.

Can someone point me to the info on the glass Dave is selling? I would like to check it out in advance to know what I'm potentially signing up for and to see if I should place an order as long as I'm there ;-)

Thanks,
Ben
NEWFISHER

Post by NEWFISHER »

Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

Feel free to drop by my place after you pick it up, I can answer most of your questions and show you how to access the mapping and engine tuning.
Bring a memory stick and you can have picture and tech files on the build.
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

This link is to the US laws regarding the glass.
http://real4x4forums.com/PinzgauerBBS/v ... windshield

My not shipping of windshields has nothing to do with finding a carrier, but the glass be received in the same condition as I shipped it. The packages must withstand untold numbers of handlings by gorillas that look upon a “Fragile Glass” label as a challenge. The box must also be packed on the transport so there is no undue weight pressing on any one part of the box, or any shifting of the load.
The side and rear glass are a different type of glass and (what others call) in bulletproof packaging.

The windshield requires a box that is over twice as long and can resist any bending or twisting. I have tried to develop a box, but box manufacturers have no desire to make something for such a low production, and cost are prohibited… and that is before shipping costs.
NEWFISHER wrote:
I would like to buy at least 2. Hoping other North West'ers jump in and we can grab a bunch from Dave. Great product, great guy!
TechMOGogy wrote:
Don't say that about him on a public forum - it will go to his head :mrgreen:
It will never happen. I strive to be the best 277 :mrgreen:
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
GadgetPhreak
United States of America

Post by GadgetPhreak »

Jim LaGuardia wrote:Feel free to drop by my place after you pick it up, I can answer most of your questions and show you how to access the mapping and engine tuning.
Bring a memory stick and you can have picture and tech files on the build.
Thanks Jim!

Do you know if the front windshield on that rig I bought was swapped out already?
GadgetPhreak
United States of America

Post by GadgetPhreak »

Ok, I've decided to ship it instead of driving it back up, just don't have the time right now to take a couple of extra days (plus any extra time if there are any issues on the way) to drive it all the way back to Washington.

It looks like I will be going down on the 29th and making the purchase and the carrier will be picking it up later that week (still waiting on confirmation of which day, will know early next week).

The carrier is the same one used by Porsche to ship all of their High Performance vehicles (GT3, etc.) up to the local Porsche dealers, and is highly reputable with several of the luxury car companies in the Bellevue Washington area. The trailer is fully enclosed and insured.

With that in mind I could swing over and pick some windshields up and we can secure them in the back of the 710M and they can go up on the transport with my rig to Redmond, Washington. I'll confirm timing but at this point it looks like truck will arrive at my house on Friday, March 4th. I would be willing to travel some to meet up with folks and drop them off. Let me know if you would like to try and work that out. I'm hoping to hear from Jim to see if he knows if my windshield was done or not so I can order one (and possibly some tinted front door glass at the same time).

If someone is willing to take point on coordination, please PM me with contact info and let's chat. I'm leaving Monday for the UK for business and will be traveling throughout Europe on business until the 23rd, but will have internet access and time to work on logistics during that period.

Let me know what you guys would like to do. Happy to help and get them up this way on the truck if that helps save people some money.

Thanks,
Ben