2.7 Liter Engine w/ Torque Cam?

Build projects, things that guys have come up with to make a Pinz better (or worse?) and aftermarket add-ons.
TechMOGogy
Canada

Re: 2.7 Liter Engine w/ Torque Cam?

Post by TechMOGogy »

Still a work in progress
Others with 2.7 engine should chime in at this point!
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
mdevino
United States of America

Post by mdevino »

I have the Goatwerks grind on my cam, but with the generally stock 2.5 in my 710k.....you can add me to the list of believers

If i can remember well enough....Jim L advised me against going to a 2.7 since my cylinders were in good shape....he said its a good upgrade if you are already forced to bore your cylinders, but would even recommend upsizing pistons through the available stock sizes vs boring all the way to 2.7 unless you have already sized yourself out of options. I honed cylinders and replaced rings with a custom set and more modern oil scrapers (not Jim's advice) and ran the new cam for a month with good results.

I then added Jim's EFI kit and got another substantial performance boost. definite improvement in street manners.....maybe if the the carbs are in spectacular tune at the right altitude for the jets you might not see the benefits i saw from the EFI upgrade, but one obvious benefit is a more reliable high range for rpms.

I've spent a ton of time on the phone with Jim, and while that might not be his preference, he is a straight shooter and stands behind his upgrades. if anything, he downplays the benefits of the upgrades he sells. I recommend getting advice directly from him for your specific situation.
NEWFISHER

Post by NEWFISHER »

Would love to have him get me a price on his EFI system, boxed and shipped complete or installed. I have asked him a few times via email and cell phone etc. He's a busy guy, a great guy and I'm still patiently waiting ( are you listening Jim?)
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

Would love to have him get me a price on his EFI system, boxed and shipped complete or installed.
It may all depend on the status of the custom EFI manifold that he has been using; it is an impressive piece of work. I don't think he attempts to keep stock, but orders them as is required. The other custom part is the "tone ring" that needs to be mounted to the crank pulley. Most all other parts are easily had new or recycled (throttle body, coil packs, dizzy pickup, and of course the ECU and harness). And yes, he is a busy man, due to the fact that he understands these vehicles like almost no other. Have patience.
Jim M.
712W and 710M
NEWFISHER

Post by NEWFISHER »

I went to see him Feb 19th, am I being patient?
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

I went to see him Feb 19th, am I being patient?
Ah, Grasshopper, all things come to those who wait. You are on the right path... 8) Confucius say "Ask him again".
Jim M.
712W and 710M
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

I have lost track of dates but I believe Jim had my truck for roughly 2 years.
Now to be fair, I told him to put me at the very back of the priority line as I was in no hurry.
Dan
mdevino
United States of America

Post by mdevino »

Call him, he can give you a price on the custom parts easily. last i knew he had at least a handful of them in stock. he sourced an EMS with custom harness and some other bits and pieces for me with only minor nagging. in all the time from pulling the trigger on the kit to having it running was about 3 months. Im sure i was a bit of a pain for him, but Jim was a huge help in the process and i would highly recommend him and his products.
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

Sorry for the delay, I have been buried with heavy work, almost caught up. I will try to post updated pricing this week.
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

Finally an update for you :)
Well truck is not road licensed yet (next week) but driving it around and the 2.7 is great!
Seems best to start off in 2nd and I easily keep up or pass people. It honestly drives like a newer manual pickup truck. Very responsive unless rpms drop off to much for selected gear but that is normal.
Still breaking engine in so no fast highway stuff yet.
nicholastanguma
United States of America

Post by nicholastanguma »

TechMOGogy wrote:Finally an update for you :)

Glad you remembered. Thankee much!