712 m popping at exhaust

Engine troubles? Try here.
Rookie
United States of America

712 m popping at exhaust

Post by Rookie »

I just recently acquired my pinz and changed all the fluids and washed the motor out and forgot to cover the distributor and then it started popping then wouldnt start like it was out of timing this morning i uncovered the cap and there was moisture in it so i sprayed wd 40 in it and it got better starts right up now but still pops at idle not when in motion has great power it does have a petronix ingnition and of course all that popping caused my muffler to crack open a little so i have to fix that what do u guys recomend from here is the dizzy still have moisture in it thats why its still popping at idle
audiocontr
United States of America

Re: 712 m popping at exhaust

Post by audiocontr »

Not surprising. They run weird until warmed up. Make sure you're giving it proper choke, and be mindful of ethanol gas. You may need to clean out the carbs. warm it up and check the popping

Beyond that, you may have a worn out elbow in the distributor vacuum line. Its not pure vacuum, so do NOT replace with a new one... there is a restriction ball in there that keeps the line at a low enough vacuum to remove condensation, but not enough to pull oil.

You may need to adjust your carbs

You may need to check your timing

You may have exhaust manifold linkages that have come loose, creating the popping

All and all, it could be a lot of things, but don't get worked up over it. These trucks have gremlins. Chasing little things may create bigger things
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)
whitesik
United States of America

Post by whitesik »

Well I am new to the pinzgauer and forum but have managed to get some repair time behind me now. I had a very similar problem, spending hours dealing with the carburetor and various things as mentioned above. Two things promptly fixed it: a new distributor cap and I adjusted the petronix gap to the recommended distance. It was a little wide. started right up, no backfiring.

So now I can say I have officially given anecdotal advice on the forum.
75 Swiss 710K
Not so new owner but still a novice
W9YG
Rookie
United States of America

Post by Rookie »

Thanks guys for the responses as you know when its youre first is always a puzzle putting piecs together i will start with the easiest which is replace the dis cap and go from there like i said it ran fine on thursday it was just after the clean up that it started acting up