too much centrifugal advance?

Engine troubles? Try here.
boeing7873
Argentina

too much centrifugal advance?

Post by boeing7873 »

I am timing the pinz and the only way to get good power below 1800 rpm is to advance it to the point where at high rpms I get pre-ignition.... as if the advance was either not opening soon enough, or advancing too much...
I took the distributor apart and everything is clean and smooth in the interior.
Also, water kills my ignition.. how do I check for that vaccuum valve in the line elbow?
Thank you,
Jeronimo
Jerome
CRJ Driver
Jimm391730
United States of America

Re: too much centrifugal advance?

Post by Jimm391730 »

One of you advance springs may have rusted and broke, so it advances too soon. You need to pull the dizzy and remove the shaft as the springs are underneath. While the stock setup was pretty waterproof, most civi conversions are not very well protected. The "vacuum" line had just a tiny pinhole to barely move air. In the sealed stock configuration this made sense as it would slowly evacuate air and draw oil up the shaft. Vacuum is useless beyond that design. Get a SSI if you want water resistance; no high voltage is exposed to water beyond the spark plug wire boots.
Jim M.
712W and 710M
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

I used a small metal ball valve as my "restrictor". It took some time to find the proper setting... too low and moisture condensed within the cap. Too high and it caused the RPMs to rise. My best advice is just slightly opened
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)
boeing7873
Argentina

Post by boeing7873 »

Jim, if I could afford the SSI, I would do it. Just too expensive.
I know I can waterproof the civi ignition, just need to figure out why it is not working ok with the original distributor. I have a friend with a Pinz, I will swap dizzies one of these days.
Based on what I experience, the problem would be the opposite, the weights open too late or too much. Again, it is smooth and clean inside...
Regarding the vacuum line, maybe an aquarium aireator valve will do the trick!
Jerome
CRJ Driver
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

Watch out for heat melting plastic restrictions
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

Based on what I experience, the problem would be the opposite, the weights open too late or too much.
It is not unusual to find the Pinz dizzy with the weights frozen in place, too. Rust can cause either to happen - stuck weights, or rusted through springs.
Jim M.
712W and 710M