Engine conversion

Engine troubles? Try here.
Hotzenplotz
Austria

Re: Engine conversion

Post by Hotzenplotz »

ExpeditionImports wrote:The S-Tec guys have a booth at Allrad in Germany this weekend and they had some nice re-engine examples on display. Lighting was difficult but photo is not a 718 but a reworked 712M with there diesel.
IMG_3052.JPG
IMG_3063.JPG
Cheers,

Scott
Scott

I saw this truck at the Hellsklamm customer event this May.
it has:
  • diesel doors
    diesel windscreen
    diesel tank
    diesel dashboard
    diesel disk brakes
draw your own conclusions
Cheers
Albert
========================
My Pinz has NEVER been with any army
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Actually, my definition of highwayable in a Pinz is to maintain a safe speed of 65mph, ( TDs rated to 75mph). A lot of people think you can plop any diesel into a vehicle and you’re good to go. NOT ! I’ve heard of way too many Land Rovers getting Perkin diesels in the ‘70’s and ‘80’s, the vehicle they ended up with was a fast tractor. A lot of the diesel have a max of anywhere from 2200 to 3000 rpm (pushing it) and with less than ½ the RPMs of the original gas engine, the vehicle’s top speed drops horribly. That is the side of highwayable I was looking at. The baby Duramax would need it’s HP and torque derated for the Pinz design limits, but has the RPM range to make it still useable for the highway ( and maintain them on a hill) with the original 716/18 drivetrain and transmission ( which the portal and diff gearing are not too different from the 710 and 712) I also imagine that the redesigned portals and the liquid “gold” lubricate (anyone with a TD knows what I mean) for them helped. Along with disc brakes allowed for the faster rating.

Hotzenplotz is right, I going to have to check your way underexpose pics more carefully from now on ;) and possibly remove my sunglasses :lol: … S-Tec would have to do some fancy bodywork to get diesel bodyparts on a 712… including reversing the sweep of the wipers
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
ExpeditionImports
United States of America

Post by ExpeditionImports »

You caught me. I was just messing with Dave too see if he could still get his wood up. Appears Dave's yard stroking is still up to par. Dave called up wanting a G Wagen but not a Puch because it did not have a diesel. Still having delusions of getting he vehicles CA legal. Dave put down the mushrooms.

Thumbing through the Pinzgauer 2017 catalog and looking at the top speed on the 718. Oh that's right there is no 2017. You can rate a Pinzgauer for 75 mph but watching a Pinzgauer travel at 75 mph next to the car pool lane is when I realized if anything goes wrong it can double as a casket. The one speed run in a 712 was so bad the driver would not touch the brakes until is got below 70. It was shaking so bad at 80 mph it was just plain stupid.

Trying to liven up the board a little bit. Kind of dead. Test driving the hybrid Unimog tomorrow. It runs on butterfly hugs and puppy kisses.

Cheers,

Scott
Expedition Imports Corporation
Vallejo, California
www.expedition-imports.com
"You didn't buy a Chevy..." "Hows that Amazon tech support working out...."
ExpeditionImports
United States of America

The phone calls of engine conversions come in waves. Usually every 18-26 months and normally after a big car or offroad show with dreams of driving a portal truck at high speed. We just tell people it is $30,000 for the engine conversion on top of the truck. Makes for a short conversation.

Best one was a V8 and we are not the only one who was asked.

Cheers,

Scott
Vallejo, California
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

Oh geez, the old Perkins swap. I ran into one of those LR's back when I got into them at 19 years old. Without the overdrives, what did they do, 50mph tops? The LR Tdi's are nice swaps but squeezing them into Series trucks required a ton of rigging which was never worthwhile.
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

ExpeditionImports wrote:The phone calls of engine conversions come in waves. Usually every 18-26 months and normally after a big car or offroad show with dreams of driving a portal truck at high speed. We just tell people it is $30,000 for the engine conversion on top of the truck. Makes for a short conversation.

Best one was a V8 and we are not the only one who was asked.

Cheers,

Scott
Portal G (4x4 ^2) is good for highway speeds :)
However, it will cost you dearly and add you to the Kardashian club.
Only way to do it would be to add Tibus portals to an 1990's G, not sure how much time the Tibus portals have on them however in terms of longevity of life for $20k+ usd
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
ExpeditionImports
United States of America

That G 4x4 Squared is something. What you can do with over 400HP, 7 speed transmission, 37" tires and more money that you know what to do with. With all that they rate it at 130 mph top speed. Lot of talk about their portal axles except what the gearing is. They make for nice drive way art as 95% won't see much more than a dirt road heading up to the winery for a tasting.

The gear ratio of the TIBUS Bolt-on portals is between 1.16 - 1 to 1.6 - 1 depending on the type of vehicle and it’s intended use. Pretty sure the Pinzgauers are roughly 2:1 range.

Cheers,

Scott
Vallejo, California
AfricaLionHeart

Post by AfricaLionHeart »

pinzmeister-uk wrote:I've fitted a few pinzies with the Mercedes 2.9 non turbo diesel engine and gearbox, ( search dreadnoughts posts ) the gearbox gives an overdrive 5th gear which gives a top speed of 100kph and fuel consumption in excess of 26mpg.
Hi everyone. I'm a newbi to this forum and from Southern Africa, live in South Africa but born in the old Rhodesia.

I'm in the process of restoring and eventually camper converting an old 712 I recently purchased.

This thread is of particular interest to me since I also own a few VW T3 Syncros most of which I have converted to Toyota 3CT diesels.
Why, most of you are asking, because I consider the Syncro to be one of the most capable 'soft' 4x4's on the market which I believe VW should have developed further.In fact I would venture to say that the only vehicle (of that era) that beats the Syncro's 4x4 ability is the Gelandewagen (which I also have :roll: ). True its NOT very tough, but I'd much rather venture into Africa with my 'Diesel' Syncro then a land rover or Toyota. It gets me where I want to go (and believe me I'm not interested in the well developed tracks) and provides comfort second to non. I have a few Utube videos to proove my point :wink:
Its main draw backs are the approach and departure angles (NOT roll over angle since its wheel base is in fact short wheel base) and the petrol engine which just doesn't have the Torque a 4x4 needs and cannot handle water crossings.

And that is why I'm "thinking" about a Diesel conversion on my Pinzgauer.

I must say that I'm extremely impressed with the Pienz's 2.5L petrol which started with no problem after standing for four years. My main problem is now having to replace the two seal rings and most of the Split axle boots, and at an exchange rate of US$14 to the ZARand its ludicrous! (PS any donations of those items would be appreciated, even second hand :wink: ) By the way if I do decide to convert I will have a motor for sale :lol:

SO, tell me more about the Mercedes 3L D conversions (another diesel motor I consider to be TOPS!) or peraps the Mercedes 2.5L TD?
Does anyone have any details of whats involved?

With the Syncros I had to use the Syncro gearbox so it meant having to make an adapter plate, but if I use the Mercedes engine and gearbox I won't have that problem. Question is should I go automatic or Manuel? I've always believed in Manuel because it allows me to push start if I have a flat battery, but Jumper leads also work. Manual also gives me more control 4x4'ing but from my ex military experience the automatic box is a pleasure.

Now I'll sit back and take the Flack! :roll:
murrayjp
United States of America

Post by murrayjp »

Ok new to the Forum . Getting very interested in the 712's I got a question has anyone replaced the gas engine with a air cooled diesel engine? such as the Deutz just asking we used these while I was in the service and were pretty good
boeing7873
Argentina

Post by boeing7873 »

I once drove a Pinz with a VW 1.9TD motor and it was great. I believe there are a few of those. Never managed to talk to anyone that actually did the conversion.
Jerome
CRJ Driver