Overdrive parts available soon

Diffs, axles, lockers, transmissions, portals, that kind of thing.
63rover
Canada

Post by 63rover »

Thanks to bikmakr, who supplied me with his files for making the necessary parts to install a Laycock overdrive (commonly used in Volvo) into a Pinzgauer, a local master machinist (red seal certified) is setting up to provide the parts to anyone interested. He is at the point of making a trial set which I will be using to make certain of his fit and finish, and also to make detailed instructions to share with others. As this is an ongoing project, there is not a final cost as yet. The final cost will include $20 per order to be donated to this site at bikmakr's request for the use of his plans. Anyone who is interested in a set of parts and instructions can PM me or leave an open message here. The more responses the better price we may get.

The Laycock will drop top gear revs by about 25% and make highway driving quieter and easier on both the driver and engine.

Cheers, Clive
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Re: Overdrive parts available soon

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

Very cool project! Hopefully people appreciate the work it takes to do this.

What major options does the Pinz have now?
Overdrive
Disc brakes
Wheel options
EFI
Ignition upgrades
New tops
Power steering
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

Custom fab' d parts, gear, roofs, etc a la Andre (pretty good as I don't even speak French :) )

PS: put me down for one.
I Talked to him as well about it, have some of the plans and talked to various vendors he used.
What I like about the design is that in 10-20 mins you can put your old shaft back in and keep going if there is a failure (ie no crazy mods to truck)
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
GadgetPhreak
United States of America

Post by GadgetPhreak »

I'm in. I could use this for drives to out of county missions.

-Ben

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
King County Search & Rescue | Regional Special Vehicles Unit
1972 710M - Building up for SAR use
Follow my build, learn more, or contact me: http://www.sarpinz.com
Rookie
United States of America

Post by Rookie »

That would be good. im in also !!
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

For anyone interested here is the original build thread
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=8909
Sonarman
United States of America

Post by Sonarman »

I am interested.
Brady 712k
United States of America

Post by Brady 712k »

I'm definitely interested....
stiffler4444
Canada

Post by stiffler4444 »

Quite interested if it fits in my meager budget!
1972 710m
63rover
Canada

Post by 63rover »

Wow! There certainly is interest. I will me speaking with the machinist today.

The original thread TechMOGogy posted (many thanks) outlines the build extremely well. There are commercially available parts that can be collected in advance. However, I would suggest waiting for the machining to be completed. Trying to find a Laycock type J or type P overdrive would be a good start. Be careful the type P was available in 2 configurations and the Volvo version is the one that fits. The Gear Vendors US version is a different size, both the output shaft diameter and overall length are larger. Considering the age and possibly less than ideal storage conditions some of these units have been kept in it may be worth disassembling, cleaning and inspecting the unit. They are very robust, from everything I have read, but while it is out and on the bench...

It took me a week of phone calls to find one in my area still attached to the original transmission. It may cost a little extra but it is a sealed unit with no added internal grit (my fear of a separated unit). It also makes steam cleaning an option before removal. Lots of the Hot Rod guys make use of them too, so that may be another lead.

More to follow.

Cheers, Clive
stiffler4444
Canada

Post by stiffler4444 »

Lots of the J model Volvo on Ebay at decent prices I noticed.....
1972 710m
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

It would not be wise for us to start purchasing OD units without knowing exactly what your doing re: female/female coupler, the lobro joints, who is making the 33 spline and how long, etc.
The type of Type J can make a big difference too (early model vs mid vs late model) plus the round vs triangle output flange.
Clive, what are your thoughts on price?
I am estimating that it should be in the $1700-2000 range (usd)

oh and Maximum Overdrive who would supply the deep sump ($140) sells reconditoned J's for a mere $1500!!! :)
Last edited by TechMOGogy on Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
63rover
Canada

Post by 63rover »

The initial plan is for the machinist to offer to make the custom pieces and customers to purchase the commercially available parts independently. As I will be purchasing all of these parts for my unit I will be sharing the sourcing and cost with others. This will keep the cost of shipping down as well as not adding additional shipping and handling costs to the lobro joints etc. Bikmakr has provided vendor contacts for all of the commercial parts along with the plans.

The link to the original thread has a very comprehensive overview of project (pg 2).

TechMOGogy -There the round output is pictured. In my research I have found that apparently all type J and Volvo type P casings to have the same depth. Have you found otherwise? Where were the triangular output fanged units used? I got a type J from a Volvo since that was what Bikmakr used. It would be good to know of any variations though. Thanks.

I will be meeting with the machinist tonight and hope to have news then.

In the interim for those who would like to become more familiar with the Laycock overdrive these are great resources.

http://www.buckeyetriumphs.org/technica ... 1/JOD1.htm

http://www.vclassics.com/archive/laycock.htm

http://www.odspares.com/

http://www.overdrive-repairs.co.uk/about-us.php

http://maximum--overdrive.com/products.html

If anyone is interested in a complete kit, with or without the overdrive, I can see if something can be worked out.
mopar
United States of America

Post by mopar »

My brother has a couple of CNCs and would be interested in making the parts as he is just starting out with his CNC shop and looking for work and he has a 710 as well to test fit the parts.

1974 712M AKA the Banana
1974 710M AKA the project truck
1987 718M Now Sold
1975 Volvo TGB1111 Now Sold
1973 Pinzgauer 712M x2 Now Sold
1963 404S Now Sold
drrm80

Post by drrm80 »

I'm the brother Mopar speaks of . We would definitely be interested working with you to make this happen if your interested. If your machinist falls through , or your interested in keeping the work in the pinzgauer community, or just want another set of eyes to give you a quote . Feel free to reach out to us at LHMachine@outlook.com.