Winch electrics amperage load

All things Volvo body and electrical!
m15256
United States of America

Winch electrics amperage load

Post by m15256 »

I have a stock 24volt Military tgb 111 or C303. I have been researching installing an electric winch. Using the WARN Severe Duty 12 as an example I am concerned about the amperage requirements to operate the winch. If you were to strictly adhere to the rated duty cycle with a line load of 8000# you can operate the winch 10% (1 minute in 10). The amperage draw though is 189 AMPS. It seems hard to believe that the stock alternator could keep up with that kind of load even if you had brand new efficient batteries. Have those vehicles with electric winches been modified with high output alternators and/or bigger multiple batteries?
I'm curious to know what other peoples real world experiences have been.
Thanks, Rick
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Re: Winch electrics amperage load

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

Been running electric winches on stock alternators since I was a teen. Never had an issue for recovery but always had a good battery and I never assumed I could do something like logging operations with it, where you'd need a PTO or hyd. winch instead.

The alternator is mostly replenishing your power, the battery is mainly doing the work when it's actually on. The bigger the better technically, but a larger alternator certainly isn't required for winches, and this is even more true with 24v systems where winches operate far more efficiently compared to 12v versions.
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

m15256
United States of America

Post by m15256 »

Thanks very much. I guess I should have been more specific. I was talking about self recovery. I have a 54 M56 Dodge with a PTO winch for doing heavy dragging. Never had a vehicle with an electric winch. The Volvo batteries are in pretty good shape so that should be good to go.
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

It will work great and even better in many (or most) situations. You just have to keep overheating in mind more so than probably power issues. With a 303, you may find that you don't need a winch very often unless you're one of those mud-pit people.

A whole new world was opened for me when I first used a wireless controller. I'd highly recommend that addition. I installed a simple Mile Marker model and love it: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=9859&p=73179&hilit ... ote#p73179
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!