Stumbling in the rain?

Engine troubles? Try here.
pcolette
United States of America

Re: Stumbling in the rain?

Post by pcolette »

Here are a couple of photos to help out. The red arrows indicate the vacuum line. Note that the rubber elbow in the line at the distibutor contains a small ball that acts as a restrictor so not too much vacuum is drawn thru the distributor. A distributor vent kit is available with part #7101095080 that contains the line, elbows and restrictor.
IMG_0567.jpg
IMG_0567.jpg (109.65 KiB) Viewed 8330 times
IMG_0578.jpg
IMG_0578.jpg (112.45 KiB) Viewed 8330 times
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
kdiqq
United States of America

Post by kdiqq »

Wow, so mine is different.... I have a picture from when I was checking valves... Any chance that vacuum line was deleted in the Austrian version??
12074536_10153236107596314_854057499151353708_n.jpg
12074536_10153236107596314_854057499151353708_n.jpg (70.26 KiB) Viewed 8323 times
1977 Austrian 710M
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

It's very possible the Austrian version didn't use the vented distributor. A NOS late model distribtor I purchased a couple of years ago did not have the vent fitting.
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
kdiqq
United States of America

Post by kdiqq »

Hello all,

I'm reviving an old thread because this is STILL bothering me. So in the past year, Pinz has been super trouble free, fun, and helpful. Those of you unaware, I am from Houston and was in one of the areas worst affected by hurricane Harvey. I'm thankful that me and my family are totally fine. We had a situation where I got a call to help people get away from a school they had evacuated to because the water was just coming the door. By the time I got SOMEWHAT close (about 15 minutes later), I got turned around due to chest deep water around that location. Luckily, we were able to completely fill the Pinz up with people and their belongings and get through waist deep water. I had water pretty much right up to the bottom of the fan, really not a fun situation. Through all this, the Pinz had it constant stuttering, low idle, and dying. I was able to keep it running and get moved along safely, but even before I got in the water, just the rain was causing this problem!

So I disassembled the cap, cleaned all contacts with WD40, blew out all drain holes, then sealed the adapter (Pertronix) and cap with a light bead of silicone. After that it ran great for a while but within a few hours of rain, all symptoms were back. I'm at a total loss now. Has anyone encountered anything similar in recent months? Any new ideas on why the moisture is affecting me so much?

If it makes any difference, I've had a new issue where the Pinz stalls when driving at high speed after fueling up. I think this is a sticking dist advance because my tachometer will fluctuate when it happens even though engine speed doesn't change. I think the fueling up just allows the components in the engine bay to heat soak.

Thanks in advance for any ideas
1977 Austrian 710M
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

This is exactly why I went with the SSI system. I think if you said "water" around my pinz it would have issues. Now I can beat through Creeks at speed and it never skips a beat. I had gone so far as to spray the distributor down with hair spray, an old vw truck I learned years ago to keep distributor dry. Nothing I did ever worked. The SSI unit resolved the water issues and some other minor ignition issues I was having.
kdiqq
United States of America

Post by kdiqq »

4x4Pinz wrote:This is exactly why I went with the SSI system. I think if you said "water" around my pinz it would have issues. Now I can beat through Creeks at speed and it never skips a beat. I had gone so far as to spray the distributor down with hair spray, an old vw truck I learned years ago to keep distributor dry. Nothing I did ever worked. The SSI unit resolved the water issues and some other minor ignition issues I was having.
Yeah :( I'm not saying the PinzSSI isn't worth ~$700, but it's still a big pill to swallow. I'd like to try throwing a little time/money at it at least until gift-giving season is over :P
1977 Austrian 710M
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

I tried a bunch of different options. Had the same problem with my 710 so I got to deal with it in both trucks. Sadly all my water troubles started after the civilian conversions. Can't tell you what a problem it was and I love in the desert. The only thing I never tried was wrapping the distributor, just seemed like it would take the moisture worse. When we took one of the distributors apart the springs and most of the internals had lots of signs of rust build up. Never really came up with a viable repair to the system and never could find the source of the moisture infiltration.
boeing7873
Argentina

Post by boeing7873 »

Don't buy the SSI yet. I am not saying it is not a good product, but I've been chasing similar problems to yours and the SSI did nothing except for discarding the ignition as source of the problem. I am now changing jets in the carbs to give you an idea of where I am... but before playing with the jets, I found vacuum leaks in the intake manifold hose, probably in the manifold gaskets, rebuilt carbs, changed fuel hoses, checked the black rev box, opened and disassembled the advance mechanism in the distributor, and played a ton with timing and tuning and synching.
The petronix is not a bad option at all if you manage the humidity problem. It can be done with a little sealant around the cap, wd-40, the vacuum line (with minimum air flow or you will suck water in) and very important, no matter how many times they ask you if it floats, the answer is NO!
Jerome
CRJ Driver
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

This specific problem is absolutely distributor related. Happens to a lot of us. The ssi will fix it as a matter of its design. You can also repair it by shielding the distributor in non humid environments or improving the vacuum of the distributor where simple humidity will cause it. As I said in an earlier post, I fixed this by adding an adjustable vacuum line, and setting it just below where it would increase idle. Worked for a couple years, or until I purchased an ssi

Boeing, you have a carb issue.
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)
boeing7873
Argentina

Post by boeing7873 »

Yes.. I have a carb issue.

By the way, on the last picture in the post, I see the vacuum line to the brake, and another going to the back of the engine. In my truck that is the one going to the distributor. Where is that vacuum line going in that truck??

JC
Jerome
CRJ Driver
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

That vacuum line heading towards the rear of the engine connects to a valve in the air intake and then over to the air horn. This was the later revision from Styer to use warmed air from the heat exchanger. The valve in the air intake is temp controlled to open and close the air horn intake via vacuum. This was a kit at SAV (part # 7121195019) https://www.pinzgauer.com/showdetails.p ... 7121195019 that I've installed on both my 710Ms to improve cold weather functionality. It's not a magic charm but does work.
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
kdiqq
United States of America

Post by kdiqq »

boeing7873 wrote:Yes.. I have a carb issue.

By the way, on the last picture in the post, I see the vacuum line to the brake, and another going to the back of the engine. In my truck that is the one going to the distributor. Where is that vacuum line going in that truck??

JC
Yeah, mine is Austrian and has quite a few differences from the Swiss Pinz. I'd like to add the distributor vent line, and SAV and EI sell a kit, but idk if my distributor has the nipple for it.
Last edited by kdiqq on Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1977 Austrian 710M
whitesik
United States of America

Post by whitesik »

I got confused there. Did you mean distributor vent line and kit?
75 Swiss 710K
Not so new owner but still a novice
W9YG
kdiqq
United States of America

Post by kdiqq »

whitesik wrote:I got confused there. Did you mean distributor vent line and kit?
Wow, yeah. Edited the post. Sorry lol

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
1977 Austrian 710M
EmbarkChief
United States of America

Post by EmbarkChief »

I had the exact same issue. In heavy rain she would sputter due to moisture in the distributor cap. SSI fixed all that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
-1972 710M