Engine vibrations..

Engine troubles? Try here.
boeing7873
Argentina

Engine vibrations..

Post by boeing7873 »

My engine has been slowly developing high frequency engine vibrations. Those that make your joints tingle. Engine runs great otherwise. Any thoughts? Engine mount checks are next on my list.
Jeronimo
Jerome
CRJ Driver
rmel
United States of America

Re: Engine vibrations..

Post by rmel »

No one chimed in[SMIRKING FACE] well here’s a couple of thoughts. Maybe something went out of balance. Does this occurr when in neutral. When the clutch is disengaged. At idle or at a particular speed? Mane you could tie the frequency of the vibration to the engine RPM. Is it 1 for 1. Or a multiple of rpm. Might lead to some clues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Puller: 71' 710K 2.7L EFI aka Mozo
Follower: Sankey MK 3, 3/4 Tonne
Rescue Pinz: 73' 712MK

Driver: Ron // KO0Q
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

Two things come to mind:
1. The driveshaft to the front axle is out of balance. The front end of the driveshaft is attached to the front diff, 4x4 is engaged by connecting the rear end of the shaft to the transfer case. This end has a pin that spins in a bushing so that if you are spinning the rear wheels but the front are not turning (stuck, for example) the difference in speeds shows up between the pin and bushing. Pulling the 4x4 lever slides the collar over the splines on the shaft and can sometimes change the balance of the shaft. If you drive at highway speeds and feel the vibration, pull the green lever and see if the vibration changes - it won't necessarily go away, but it may be somewhat different and this points to driveshaft vibration. Remember, at 60mph this shaft is spinning at roughly 4400 rpm! Search for "lightened, balanced driveshaft" for more info on how to solve this problem.
2. The fan may be out of balance. This will obviously change with engine revs. Maybe part or all of a blade is missing? Mud stuck to it? Etc.

But I will go out on a limb and suggest that #1 is the culprit.
Jim M.
712W and 710M
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

Check all engine mounts and the team mount. Back in the early days were used to put a small piece of rubber hose over the travel stop pin at the trail mount. When the mount would get warn it would allow the pin to rub against the bracket and send vibrations from the drive train to the body.
pinzinator

Post by pinzinator »

Perhaps a plug or fuel stop solenoid failed.
boeing7873
Argentina

Post by boeing7873 »

pinzinator wrote:Perhaps a plug or fuel stop solenoid failed.
Ahhhh... But engine would run rough at idle if solenoid failed. What do you mean by plug?

Sent from my Vivo 5R using Tapatalk
Jerome
CRJ Driver
boeing7873
Argentina

Post by boeing7873 »

rmel wrote:No one chimed in[SMIRKING FACE] well here’s a couple of thoughts. Maybe something went out of balance. Does this occurr when in neutral. When the clutch is disengaged. At idle or at a particular speed? Mane you could tie the frequency of the vibration to the engine RPM. Is it 1 for 1. Or a multiple of rpm. Might lead to some clues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is definitely engine. Clutch in or out does not make an difference. It is a very high freq vibration. Based on comments here, if I had to bet, I would say these are natural but some mount has failed to the point where metal to metal is in contact and vibrations now travel to body.

Jerome
CRJ Driver
boeing7873
Argentina

Post by boeing7873 »

4x4Pinz wrote:Check all engine mounts and the team mount. Back in the early days were used to put a small piece of rubber hose over the travel stop pin at the trail mount. When the mount would get warn it would allow the pin to rub against the bracket and send vibrations from the drive train to the body.
If I had to bet... This would explain. I'll check.

Jerome
CRJ Driver
boeing7873
Argentina

Post by boeing7873 »

Jimm391730 wrote:Two things come to mind:
1. The driveshaft to the front axle is out of balance. The front end of the driveshaft is attached to the front diff, 4x4 is engaged by connecting the rear end of the shaft to the transfer case. This end has a pin that spins in a bushing so that if you are spinning the rear wheels but the front are not turning (stuck, for example) the difference in speeds shows up between the pin and bushing. Pulling the 4x4 lever slides the collar over the splines on the shaft and can sometimes change the balance of the shaft. If you drive at highway speeds and feel the vibration, pull the green lever and see if the vibration changes - it won't necessarily go away, but it may be somewhat different and this points to driveshaft vibration. Remember, at 60mph this shaft is spinning at roughly 4400 rpm! Search for "lightened, balanced driveshaft" for more info on how to solve this problem.
2. The fan may be out of balance. This will obviously change with engine revs. Maybe part or all of a blade is missing? Mud stuck to it? Etc.

But I will go out on a limb and suggest that #1 is the culprit.
Your #1 suggestion is only for vibrations while moving I assume. If truck is stopped, these should go away, right?

Jerome
CRJ Driver
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Yes. The out-of-balance driveshaft problem only occurs when moving.
It is better to go skiing and think of God, than go to church and think of sport. Fridjof Nansen
I hope to die in my ski boots... ...just not today. Me
boeing7873
Argentina

Post by boeing7873 »

I think it was all psychological. I assume these vibrations are normal for a Pinz.
Jerome
CRJ Driver
boeing7873
Argentina

Post by boeing7873 »

I think it was all psychological. I assume these vibrations are normal for a Pinz. ://
Jerome
CRJ Driver