25% tariff on imported collector vehicles & parts...?

All things not relating to the other forums.
undysworld
Norway

25% tariff on imported collector vehicles & parts...?

Post by undysworld »

Read this: http://www.icontact-archive.com/5jTcF_l ... BfPwzO?w=4

Seems somebody is threatening a tariff on collector car import vehicles and parts, in the interest of "National Security". Think this will impact Pinzgauers???

The article gives links to the govt. notification, plus how to comment on (against) this proposal. Trump is proposing to do this by proclamation, not through legislation. So your comments probably won't hold too much sway (unless you're Kim Kardashian), but they might persuade legislators to undo it, some day.

A friend who notified me of this knows Mark Hyman personally. She vouched for the article's veracity.

Here we go again... WTF!
It is better to go skiing and think of God, than go to church and think of sport. Fridjof Nansen
I hope to die in my ski boots... ...just not today. Me
ExpeditionImports
United States of America

Re: 25% tariff on imported collector vehicles & parts...?

Post by ExpeditionImports »

Article is Legit in that there is an open investigation THAT NEEDS US TO COMMENT!. Whether or not you believe it is simply a negotiating tactic of this administration or not does not really matter. As of yesterday there was only 13 total comments in regards to this. Today 145. We need thousands.

It is important to comment PRIOR to the report being issued as it is much easier for them to carve out exemptions for used vehicles and parts PRIOR to the the publication of their findings, versus playing catch up after the fact.

Simple process go to: Go to https://www.regulations.gov/docket?D=DOC-2018-0002

Select the comment section and make sure your government knows that we do not want tariffs slapped on used vehicles and parts in the interests of "National Security."

If these tariffs were to take effect, it would decimate importers and the general Pinz, Unimog, hobby. (not to mention the rest of the classic car scene.) Please take the 5 minutes to help out, as I mentioned earlier it is much easier for us to try and address this issue NOW versus waiting until the investigation is completed.

Cheers,

Scott
Expedition Imports Corporation
Vallejo, California
www.expedition-imports.com
"You didn't buy a Chevy..." "Hows that Amazon tech support working out...."
Sonarman
United States of America

Post by Sonarman »

Instead of saying a article is legit, why doesn’t someone post the Federal Regulation that actually talks about the 25% tariff. I don’t want somebody else reading a federal regulation and telling me what they think it means.
Too much hysteria starts over people saying they read an article and it legit. I went on the link and saw comments but never saw the actual propossal for federal law.
Don’t get me wrong I am all about fighting that particular tariff, but I do agree in some balencing of trade with countries that are taking advantage of the US needs to be done.
rmel
United States of America

Post by rmel »

Done! Submitted. Agree 100% with Scott LOUD VOICES now rather than whining about it later.
My $0.02 comment below if your looking for ideas on what to say, can't say it's a great
composition but more of a stream of consciousness. I also inc. contact info if any
Bureaucrat wants to talk to me. Cheers....

Tariffs on imported used vehicles and their parts will only hurt U.S. citizens
and will not improve the security or economic standing of the United States.
Imported used vehicles are either hobby related or used for agriculture,
mining, or industrial purposes. In many cases U.S. citizens have made financial
and business commitments to servicing and supporting these vehicles in the U.S.
and a significant Tariff will result in an inability to support the equipment resulting
in the loss of jobs and/or impact to recreational usages. In many cases there is no
viable substitute or equivalent U.S. made equipment and no U.S. made parts as a
substitute.

This is NOT an act or policy this citizen supports or considers a wise proposition.
Puller: 71' 710K 2.7L EFI aka Mozo
Follower: Sankey MK 3, 3/4 Tonne
Rescue Pinz: 73' 712MK

Driver: Ron // KO0Q
ExpeditionImports
United States of America

Post by ExpeditionImports »

Sonarman, you are missing the process of how this works. Did Tariffs on steel/aluminum go thru the legislature? (no) We are not dealing with proposed laws. We are dealing with a Proclamation.

Here is how it works. An "investigation" is done. After that investigation a PROCLAMATION is made based upon the results of that "investigation." Regardless of political affiliation or opinion, the time that you want to address the issue is in the investigation stage before it actually gets to the Proclamation.

I also questioned where the 25% is coming from. I was forwarded a few reports of where that number was coming from, but none that I would consider unbiased by any means. See below links. But that does not matter. What matters is that an investigation has been opened to look at the very low import tariffs on vehicles and parts, and now is when they are requesting comment. In discussions with the trade lawyers there is a total disconnect between the fact that a new tariff on a new automobile (which may be warranted) would also impact all used vehicles and parts because they use most of the same tariff numbers.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/trump-admi ... 1527106235
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-t ... story.html
https://www.forbes.com/sites/greggardne ... -up-to-10/

Cheers,

Scott
Expedition Imports Corporation
Vallejo, California
www.expedition-imports.com
"You didn't buy a Chevy..." "Hows that Amazon tech support working out...."
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

As Scott mentioned, there is no proposed law (a bill), it's a Proclamation. So it doesn't go through the normal procedure of getting Senate and Congress to vote. It's a one-man decision whether it gets imposed. I've never appreciated such actions (no matter who took 'em), because I think reasonable laws should be able to justify their passage through normal methods.

In making the initial post, I really tried hard to be non-political. This really isn't about whether you support Pres. Trump, or not. It's about one issue. If someone wishes to support Pres. Trump on every issue, without thought to whether you agree with that particular issue, that's fine. But it's possible to vote for (support) a candidate, without supporting every action they take.

This tariff would really suck. Saying so does not harm our economy, nation, nor our security, IMHO.
It is better to go skiing and think of God, than go to church and think of sport. Fridjof Nansen
I hope to die in my ski boots... ...just not today. Me
rmel
United States of America

Post by rmel »

Plain and simple, if this Tariff is enacted, for all practical purpose it is a TAX we will burden
on goods with little to no alternative, 25% is a huge TAX. With all likelihood, a "tit for tat"
action will ensure so something else goes off the rails as well compounding the situation.
Now is the time to muster everyone to provide comments.

Take the 10 minutes to do so -- PLEASE.

whitesik
United States of America

Post by whitesik »

Comment submitted! I encourage all to do so as well.

And to follow Rmel's example and plant a seed of ideas for others to comment, here is my comment.

"Firstly I want to agree that the industrial infrastructure of the US has been harmed by poor trade policies. However, placing a tariff on historic vehicles , included in the definition of "used", and parts for these historic vehicles that may be no longer manufactured does not meet that goal nor affect national security. It only harms US citizens enjoying a hobby while preserving history. Many small and prosperous businesses have been built around these vehicles performing acquisition , part sales and repair. They will meet their demise with such high tariffs. A better definition of "used" needs to occur to exclude historic, vintage vehicles both civilian and military."
75 Swiss 710K
Not so new owner but still a novice
W9YG
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

Its not my countries tariff (and the whole Canada/US tariff thing is something completely different that should stay out of this thread/forum) but I buy 99.9% of my vehicles and parts from US individuals, vendors and suppliers.
Add the 25% tariff and my crap Canadian Dollar and I am now looking at a 40-50% increase.
I already pay a 20-25% floating currency premium on what I buy, an additional 25% and I will probably have to give up my hobby :(
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
rmel
United States of America

Post by rmel »

In spite of you being a Canadian citizen, just might be worth posting your comment
on that U.S. .GOV site as you are indeed supporting U.S. based companies. I'm
thinking the the total number of complaints lodged is a metric they actually go by.
The content of the comment may matter less, more or less, number of: Ya's versus Na's.

Jump in, the Mounties aren't going to lock you up for doing so :D

landy

Post by landy »

Submitted a comment, too.