'72 712M ... Ambulance Box Doors Won't Unlock (pic added)

All things body, interior, paint, windows, tops... you know.
UnSupervised
United States of America

'72 712M ... Ambulance Box Doors Won't Unlock (pic added)

Post by UnSupervised »

Amb Box Lock.jpg
Amb Box Lock.jpg (74.35 KiB) Viewed 4116 times
Hi, Guys. We have a 1972 712M with an ambulance box that came on it. We can't get the back door unlocked! The triangular key was easy to get worked out, but no matter what combination of handle/key positions I try the door won't come open.

Can someone provide some insight on how to work this thing?

Thanks. "Preciate any assist.

Oh, and I'm the FNG for today... We just got this thing a couple of weeks ago and I've been working on it in my spare time and weekends. Have managed to get it scrubbed good and got a really big critter nest out of the engine. Managed to get it turning over last night but I'm not ready to apply fuel and try to make it run just yet. I'm looking forward to enjoying this community and our Pinz. Hope to see you around sometime.
63rover
Canada

Re: '72 712M ... Ambulance Box Doors Won't Unlock (pic added)

Post by 63rover »

While I am not familiar with this exact lock I have added factory locks to the front doors of my 710m. The locks were used and did not work until they were disassembled and thoroughly cleaned, reassembled and lubricated. If you can remove the lock to clean that would be best. It also gives you a chance to see how the lock should work.

If not, you may be able to flush the old lubricant (now likely a thick sticky grease) with a can of spray brake cleaner. Use lots. The gunk can be very thick. Relube and further clean with WD40 and finally finish lube with Rust Check (red)

Good luck.

Cheers, Clive
UnSupervised
United States of America

Post by UnSupervised »

Thank you, 63Rover. I will clean that lock as soon as I gain access to it! We're looking around at the small youngsters in our circle that may be small enough to fit through the amb box window to the cab so they can get back there and see if they can get it open for us. Last ditch resort would be to cut and frame a window opening that I can fit through, then put a window in it. That's a bit drastic but we would like a window anyway.

I did manage to get it running a bit on Saturday. The fuel pump was inoperative but the plugs sparked and the engine ran a bit after I sprayed some fuel through the carbs. I noted that the front carb was jumping about when the engine was coughing and sputtering. I guess that's the next thing on the list, as soon as I get that fuel pump fixed.
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

My W box came with a factory lock & key where I think you are using the triangle fitting. I do know that my key MUST turn 360 degrees to lock/unlock, 359 degrees won't do it. IIRC, turn the handle hard CCW (may not move much) then try to rotate lock key (triangle) 360 CW, them try to open the door. No joy, repeat but work with triangle further CW & bang against the stop to displace any dust/dirt/old grease and get the travel you need.
Jim M.
712W and 710M
UnSupervised
United States of America

Re: '72 712M ... Ambulance Box Doors Won't Unlock - UPDATE!

Post by UnSupervised »

The doors have been opened! HooRay@!

Daughter's beau was visiting and just yanked the heck out of the door and got it opened. Holy Cow. He's a BIG boy, and it did the trick.

The wife and her sister opening it down in Florida, before it came here, was the last time we knew the door was opened without drama. I figured it wasn't truly mechanical, and proceeded to poke and prod around to see what the problem was. As it so happens, I discovered that the rubber seals were sticking and had to be turned back on themselves...a lot like a rifle barrel cleaning brush having the bristles turned the wrong way when you wish to pull it out. They are thick, old, stiff and dirty. I sprayed them and the channel with WD-40 and it opens like it was new.

Hows that for a cheap fix! Perfect.