Batteries not charging

Dedicated to the memory and knowledge shared by Jim Mettler - All things relating to the flow of electrons in a Pinz.
Wandering Soul
Peru

Batteries not charging

Post by Wandering Soul »

I've searched, but I can't seem to come up with the right search words. I have a 710K with increased amps alternator and electronic ignition. While driving home on 5 miles of pavement after bouncing around in the desert, engine quit 4 or 5 times. At steady speed it was like I turned off the key. It would coast a little, then backfire the gas dumped in the exhaust and run fine. I let it set a few days, then drove 5 or 6 miles to mechanic without problems. They fiddled with a leaking carb and I drove home without problems, but I noticed the batteries weren't charging. I have voltage indicators. I have the manual and a voltage meter, if that helps. Thanks.
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Re: Batteries not charging

Post by 4x4Pinz »

first thing is to check wiring at connector under engine tins. That molex connector is 90% of electrical problems. we have seen where the wire just had one or two strands left and would only cause issues after the heat up resistance became so great it caused problems all the way to completely broken wires on either side of the connector. CHECK REALLY well then check again. After that look at the voltage regulator. We have had more then a few fail.
Wandering Soul
Peru

Post by Wandering Soul »

Thanks, I will check that.
ChickenPinz
United States of America

Post by ChickenPinz »

I'd also advise using one of those voltmeters that plug into the cigarette lighter socket. That way you can check anytime to see if the charge voltage is correct. I use one that also has two USB outputs: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VP ... UTF8&psc=1
Wandering Soul
Peru

Post by Wandering Soul »

Thanks for the suggestions. It was a loose Molex connection. Once we cleaned it, the batteries started charging.
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

it is great when it is a simple fix