rear springs

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

SAM. C.

rear springs

Post by SAM. C. »

Greetings

I have just purchased a 710M and i am in the process of getting all of the little bits of rust under control. Tomorrow i want to take of the rear springs as the caps on the top and bottom are a bit rusty. I want to clean them up and get rid of the rust so it dosent get any worse.

Can anyone give me any advice as to the best procedure for doing this? For example where is the best place to prop the vehicle after i have removed the wheel and need to take the load off the springs?

I will need to do this on the front as well at a later date but the rear is worse so i am doing it first.

Any advice you can gove me will be appreciated.

Cheers

Sam
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

Rear springs are easy, remove lower shock and limit strap bolts, then jack up rear of vehicle, remove spring centering pins from axle housing and remove springs.
Support body with jack stands under the rear bumperettes :wink:
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
russ

Post by russ »

Perfect timing for this response as I need to replace rear axle. Thanks from me too!
SAM. C.

Post by SAM. C. »

Thanks Jim

Did it today and it worked a treat. That is a bit of a water trap up there on the top of the springs. I was wondering if some drain holes might be a good idea to get rid of any water that gets trapped up there.

Has anyone tried this?

Cheers & Happy New Year to you all.

Sam