Serious question

All things not relating to the other forums.
Roman

Serious question

Post by Roman »

In our country (Slovenia), to get the numberplates, owners are now obliged to make homologation of the former military vehicles. Here comes trouble.
The official refused to allow me carrying passengers at the back of my pinz. Therefore I got the homologation for my 710MK Pinz as a truck only. The reason is that it is supposed the ride to be too dangerous for the rear passengers. At the same time, the driver and front passenger do not need to have safety belts since it is old vehicle. Stupid enough, for my opinion.
The official had said that there is difference for the military use and the civilian use. Period.

[img]http://www.mobisux.com/album/data/500/5 ... ed.JPG[img]

Now my question for all you Pinzer guys.
What are your experiences in the USA, Germany and other countries. Do you have the same troubles. Especially in the Germany - how the TUV looks at this issue of old vehicles. If I can get some evidence that other countries do not make problem, then I can negotiate for same treatment.

Roman[/img]
Last edited by Roman on Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
1976- 710 M + 1976- 710MS
jchobby
United States of America

In the states

Post by jchobby »

My Pinz is registered in Upstate New York. They do not allow people to ride in the rear beds of pickup trucks. It is registered as a Suburban type, and I do have seatbelts in the back. Never been stopped, be it 1 or 12 pax in the rear.
Last edited by jchobby on Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jamey Rhoades
712M, EFI any time now, diesel trans, line-x, charcoal paint, the list goes on & on, and a smile every time I drive it.
grayroad

Rear Passengers

Post by grayroad »

My 712M is registered in Indiana and they put no restrictions on rear passengers. I think I'd be OK if I was stopped. I put seatbelts in the rear just because I wanted my passengers to be safe. I don't think the BMV cares on older vehicles.

Cory Gray
scoutpinzer

Post by scoutpinzer »

My Pinz (710M) is registered in Luxembourg as utility truck for 9 people. Yes, only 7 in the rear, not due to technical restrictions, but for legal restrictions concerning the driving license. In fact here in Luxembourg, and I suppose it's the same in most countrys of the UE, the normal Class B license entitles you only to drive a vehicle with less or equal to 3.5tons carying up to 9 persons (driver included). For a heavier vehicle, or carying more people you need a truck driver license E1 up to 7.5 tons and C for all trucks above, or a bus driver license D1 for up to 17 people (always driver included) or the D License for all other buses.
Hope this helps.
pinzwheeling

Post by pinzwheeling »

Luckily for me, the previous owner of my Pinz had the foresight to get it registered as an auto. I've been pulled over a few times when the top is off and my kids were in the back. As soon as the police realized that there were seats and seatbelts, they were fine with it. Nice to have an auto that can carry 10 people and haul over a ton. :lol:
Michael

Looking for a deal on a Toyota or used car?
email: rosenblumm@gmail.com
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

scoutpinzer hi,

Here in GB poeple with the older driving licences like me can as far as I am aware still drive vehicles on an ordinary car licence up to 7.5 tonnes or drive a 12 seat-er such as a LR110 station wagon with 12 seats. The later I think one had to be 21 years of age to drive but I think newbees may be limited to 8. Things are constantly changing here due to the EU, unfortunately not always for the better. Often the public at large are not aware of changes as they seem to creep in some times they might only affect new or recently qualified drivers such as the maximum allowable towing limit which is 3.5 tonnes braked or 3/4 tonne unbaked for us oldies and a maximum of I think 3/4 tonne for newbies who then have to sit an other test to allow them to tow up to 3.5 tonnes with a suitable trailer and tow vehicle.

One of the new changes to vehicles over here is the banning of side facing seats in at least new vehicles, there are other things associated with this law and seat belts but can not remember what.

Perhaps a GB member can correct me on the facts.

Anthony
scoutpinzer wrote:My Pinz (710M) is registered in Luxembourg as utility truck for 9 people. Yes, only 7 in the rear, not due to technical restrictions, but for legal restrictions concerning the driving license. In fact here in Luxembourg, and I suppose it's the same in most countrys of the UE, the normal Class B license entitles you only to drive a vehicle with less or equal to 3.5tons carying up to 9 persons (driver included). For a heavier vehicle, or carying more people you need a truck driver license E1 up to 7.5 tons and C for all trucks above, or a bus driver license D1 for up to 17 people (always driver included) or the D License for all other buses.
Hope this helps.
Anthony
GB
Roman

Post by Roman »

Thanks to everybody that had replied.

Using your inputs, I did some research and it actually come out that in EU there is a movement in the law unification, which is against the seating oriented perpendicular to the direction of driving.

I was told from the highest place, that there is no way to get the permission, no matter what the effort would be.

Yes. It is known that there is more liberate approach in the Germany, and seatbelts installed are enough in most cases. In very small new countries like ours, it is common to have more opresing laws, just to show out within EU community.

Thanks again and Hi to all Pinzers

Roman
gunipinzmutt
Italy

Post by gunipinzmutt »

Here in Italy the easiest way is to register the vehicle as historical. In this case you have to obtain a certification from the National Historical Auto-moto Club with all tecnical characteristics (and number of seats limited to 9 for license limitations as above), they certify also that the car is exempted from installing seatbelts as built before a certain year. With this you get plates from mot.
Roman, is it easy to find/buy ex army pinzies and/or spares in Slovenia?
Ciao
gunipinzmutt
Ugo

Post by Ugo »

This is my experience concerning registration in Italy.
I registered a 710M and a 710K as historical vehicles (just as wrote gunipinzmutt) without any problems. Apparently, the DOT is happy for any technical responsibility being taken by the National Historical Auto-moto Club (a private entity!)
On the other side, I bought a 716K TD last year and, being it NOT eligible as historical vehicle, the DOT inspectors always find new reasons to reject it at any time I apply for approval.
Hope to solve this issue soon ...

Ugo
Roman

Post by Roman »

Answer to Gunipinzmutt

In Slovenia there is no problem now to get a Pinz.
Since the army decided to sell out its 30 years old fleet of pinzgauers, there is usually easy to find one. 710 M are common, while MK or even K are extremely rare. There is none 712 type.

I found mine at my usual Pinzgauer parts supplier.
There is how I saw it at first time.

Prices are 2500 EUR for 710M, and 5000 EUR for 710 MK.

Some exemplares come with full paperwork, others sometimes without any - treated as scrap iron, even if they are actually in better condition.

Roman
710M 710MK
JNijst
Netherlands

Post by JNijst »

Roman,

Is there still no problem getting Pinzes in Slovenia. Any chance you can give me some addresses ? You never know what you find. What is the general condition of these trucks ? Are there still a lot around, Switserland almost sold out... Austria is hoarding the ones still driving...

Thanks

Jules
Pinz of rock - 710M / 1975 (Austrian Army)
gunipinzmutt
Italy

Post by gunipinzmutt »

Jules
I had the experience of buying 3 from Slovenia (2x710m, 1x710k) and 2 from Bosnia (1x710m, 1x710ms). It was a couple of years ago, prices where acceptable but all, apart the k, where in need of major restoration works and two were in such bad shape that were destined to spare parts donors. Now prices are growen up being aligned with those in other EU countries but conditions are frequently worst.
Bye
Gunipinzmutt
Pinz: 710 m, 710 ms, 710 k, 712 m fla, 712 k, 716 m, 718 m san, 716 k, 718 rehinbraun
Haflinger: 700, 703
G: 250, 270, 400, 350
Unimog 406
M825, M151 A2, M416
Fiat Panda 141A 4x4
Fresia F18
texas pinzgauer

Post by texas pinzgauer »

It could be worse guys...you could be in WISCONSIN!
Looking for next new (for me) toy
1974 712M - sold
1973 710M - sold

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id ... 3094951494
JNijst
Netherlands

Post by JNijst »

Hi Gunipinzmutt,

I had to check my spelling there... is that your name for the Pinz community or did your Mother gave you that name: GuniPINZmutt ?
A perfect name for a Pinz-owner...

Anyway thanks for the info !
I was thinking indeed about spare parts. I own a 710M in mint condition, but I hear that Slovenia has a beautiful country-side so maybe a holiday-trip there and maybe drag an old cheap one home.
Pinzes are just as demanding as new girl-friends, so my wife hates the one I have, let alone 2 of them...
Anyway; any ideas which city I should visit to check these out ?
Any addresses ? Could I get by with English or German ?
Appreciate any input.

Thanks and regards,

Jules

Ah Winsconsin... It is precisely because of this forum and the American Pinz community, that I dared to buy a Pinz. Bless all your souls !
Shame the US is so far away for you folks, but I have been buying my parts from the US, as I could not find any detailed parts list or only very limited lists here in Europe. Prices have gone up 30% here too.

Good luck Texas Pinzgauer
Pinz of rock - 710M / 1975 (Austrian Army)
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

JNijst wrote: ....Pinzes are just as demanding as new girl-friends, so my wife hates the one I have, let alone 2 of them...
I'm surprised she doesn't kill you for having one.... girlfriend that is :lol: :lol:
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)