Limiting Straps

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

springhill

Limiting Straps

Post by springhill »

I need to replace three on one of the 710's. I just replace the front two less than one year ago. They were from SAV.
I remember someone got some limiting straps that are used on the rock crawler rigs. Any info on how well they hold up?

I need a cheaper supply, as I have replaced 6 in the last couple of years and the originals are a little expensive!

Thanks

john
"Growing Old is Mandatory
Growing Up is Optional"
andy

Post by andy »

This was mentioned sometime last year, but I can't remember the exact thread. I remember because it happened right after I had to buy a strap from SAV. What I do remeber from the thread that sometimes it is hard to find one the right length.

I have a site: if it will help: www.partsamerica.com. There are a bunch more, but most are nylon type straps. Good luck with it.

Andy
A bar F
The buck STARTS here
www.deerleaseservices.com
krick3tt

limiting straps

Post by krick3tt »

I remember looking for replacement (read, emergency trail repair) straps at 4 WHEEL PARTS. the kind used for the rock buggy type rigs and they were about 75% less than stock pinz strap and about 1/4'' shorter as they are in inches not mm.

Morris
mjnims

Post by mjnims »

John
I was up at Patricks a week or so ago and he mentioned he was working on some type of alternative strap. Might want to see how that is going. If nothing else he has some interesting ideas on directions to go.
Mike
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

I have a rock crawler friend that can get nylon limiting straps in two layers, three layers, or four layers of nylon webbing. He recommended that I order them 1" shorter than the stock straps, as the nylon will stretch. IIRC they were much cheaper, like under $30, but that was a few years ago. Let me know if you are interested and I'll find out where to get them. I haven't used them, haven't broken a factory strap yet.

Jim M.
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

Jim, I would order a couple just to have on had. If you can post or pm me i would be gratfull thanks
springhill

Post by springhill »

Thanks Guys,

Mike--- Patrick told me last year about the straps and said he would send me some to test, but I haven't heard from him. You should have stopped by--there are about 50 pelicans camped at the lake. I hear they taste like chicken!!!!!

Jim---I will PM you about the nylon straps---$30 compared to $200 is a steal!!

Thanks for all the replies.

john
Growing Up is Optional"
STPPINZ

Post by STPPINZ »

I know that the carry them here too. http://www.okoffroad.com/

The owner has a Pinz so they would know exactly what you need. They have been good to deal with.
Wimps Need Not Apply
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

Try www.rockbuggysupply.com and discuss with them what you want. A I recall you had your choice of colors, too!

Jim M.
texas pinzgauer

Limiting Straps

Post by texas pinzgauer »

I haven't had to replacement mine but the www.okoffroad.com website looks like these folks would either have them or could make whatever we need for a Pinzgauer and they do look very reasonably priced.

I guess I better go out and look at mine right now :oops:
Looking for next new (for me) toy
1974 712M - sold
1973 710M - sold

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id ... 3094951494
pinzwheeling

Re: Limiting Straps

Post by pinzwheeling »

texas pinzgauer wrote:I haven't had to replacement mine but the www.okoffroad.com website looks like these folks would either have them or could make whatever we need for a Pinzgauer and they do look very reasonably priced.

I guess I better go out and look at mine right now :oops:
Anyone purchase these yet? I need 8 of them. 6 for the truck and 2 spares.
Michael

Looking for a deal on a Toyota or used car?
email: rosenblumm@gmail.com
springhill

Post by springhill »

I bought 8, but I haven't put them on yet. I will get it done in the next few days and I will post some pics. I think the bill was around 170 bucks---pretty good deal if they hold up!!
I will be back!! :x :x :x

john
Growing Up is Optional"
mjnims

Post by mjnims »

funny thing about the limiting straps, mine always seem to break when I am doing the easiest offroading I do. I have noticed it is when I am on washboard roads traveling at speeds that the straps seem to fail. I have never broken one or damaged one doing any technical stuff, which I find odd. I am currently having the bolts made so that I can drill all the way through the bottom mounts. For those who are not familiar this was an option that is shown in the manuals. I have never heard one way or another if this stops the breakage or bending of bolts but I guess I am going to find out.
Mike
Profpinz
Australia

Post by Profpinz »

I have never heard one way or another if this stops the breakage or bending of bolts but I guess I am going to find out.
The longer bolts bend rather than break.... It's not a major problem, as every time I adjust the brakes or do maintenance, I just straighten them.

As regards the straps themselves, I've broken a lot of factory ones over the years.
Nowdays I weave my own using thicker stainless steel wire (I was dubious at first that the SS would work harden, but no such problem so far) and I haven't broken any since. :wink:
Peter

1974, 712 6X6 Pinzgauer
1983, 710-1.6 4X4 Pinzgauer
1997, 718 6X6 Pinzgauer (in pieces)
1971, 700 Haflinger
1974, 703 LWB Haflinger
2001, Range Rover

http://www.ozpinz.com
andy

Post by andy »

Nowdays I weave my own using thicker stainless steel wire
Peter, You are a man of many talents. When I saw the pics of your 712 in the mud, the words sacreligious, obscene, and wrong, just sort of flashed across my mind. The pics are a pretty strong testiment to what the trucks can do though.

Andy
A bar F
The buck STARTS here
www.deerleaseservices.com